Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I found nirvana tonight

I was in KC today for a wedding gig. It was down in the River Quay, an old warehouse district. In the very same block long building the wedding reception venue was in, I stumbled on keyboard nirvana.

It was a giant 3rd floor space filled with instruments. Hammonds. Leslies. Estey pump organs. 3 manual Rogers church organ consoles. Combo organs. A Wurlitzer 200A. The elusive Kawai electric grand we were just speaking about on another thread. Steinways. Player pianos. There must have been 500 instruments in this gigantic space.

I fell in love with a 1920s Steinway Model L. It had a clear and resonant tone with a somewhat light action, very unlike a lot of the more ponderous big Steinways I've played.

I haven't stumbled onto a find like that in 40 years. The last one was in Atlanta in the 1970s. I still have dreams about that one. Wonder what I will dream about tonight?

Moe

---

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should see if the instruments are owned by anyone. If they are, ask the owner to see if they would be willing to let you have some of the gear for specific money. Who knows, maybe someone is trying to get rid of all that used gear.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

It's a business - 3 in fact. A piano guy, an organ guy, and a player piano guy share warehouse space so that they can better afford the rent. I didn't just wander in there - it was locked up but the organ guy just happened to be there. His name is Steven Santee and he runs an organ service business in KC.

Our band leader went into this curio shop on the first floor and saw signs advertising a piano store upstairs. The curio shop owner heard him comment about it and told him about there being all sorts of Hammonds and leslies upstairs, and called Steven to let him in. The band leader then called us and the bass player and I came running.

The piano business is called All Keyed Up Piano Shop. I found their website this morning: https://www.allkeyeduppiano.com/

I have video, but I can never get vids off my phone because it complains the files are too big to send.

Moe

---

I have video, but I can never get vids off my phone because it complains the files are too big to send.

http://d1avok0lzls2w.cloudfront.net/img_uploads/confuseddog.png

I can transfer any file from my phone to my laptop easily. What phone do you have?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.