Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Rik Ocasek

I have always wanted to be a copycat of our esteemed moderator/chairman of KC shenanigans dB and have a band called The Police Cars that only covers those two acts.

[video:youtube]

RIP, Ric - thanks for all the great music!

dB

Dave, that was fantastic. The entire thing.

I love your take on that classic Greg Hawkes synth solo. :cheers:

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played in a Cars tribute for a couple years, now ended about 4 yrs ago. Great material - very simple to play (keys) but great tone designs and clever licks. Truly an original band.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Today, I drove from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh and listened to the first Cars album while cruising the PA Turnpike. It was LOUD. The album is a keyboard player's paradise. Haven't played the whole album in years.

A surge of memories and emotions. Memories of being in my twenties, playing in a band and feeling indestructible. The dominant emotion during today's drive was joy. Those lyrics kill me - smart, concise and descriptive. The juxtaposition of Ric's 'nuclear boots' and 'drip-dry gloves' lyric makes the imagination run wild. What do nuclear boots look like? Ric's vocal nuance is his signature. Ben's vocal inflection while singing, 'You think you're so illustrious, you call yourself intense.' made me smile again. I might of said that to a girl once - or maybe wish I had.

The icing on the cake occurred during DON'T CHA STOP. Again, descriptive lyrics (i.e. creamy, dreamy, hands, mouth, wet, etc.) makes you imagine. I asked myself, Is this politically incorrect by today's social standards?

Has the world changed that much in 40 years?

Classic album.

Steve Coscia

Those lyrics were politically incorrect even by the standards of the day, but the punk/new wave movement had its own way of dealing with people's feelings and trying to make everyone feel included.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Great article and great tunes. How many people get to experience what you and your bandmates experienced? Add it to the book of the "World's shortest Lists"

Thanks for sharing.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

What a great read - thanks for the link.

just finished reading and agree, great story, well written

Wish I had know about this side of him 30 years ago. I was sitting next to him and his wife at a restaurant in Baltimore City, quickly finished when they did, followed them outside, only to watch them get into a white Chrysler and drive away. I got the yips and didn't have the courage to say anything.

:nopity:

Great story; thanks for sharing that article. I had always heard that Ric was similar in the studio to Todd (Rundgren), in being very nurturing, respectful, efficient, productive, and quick to capture the essence of what an artist is about and what sets them apart.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Emphysema means he had smoked cigarettes or still smoked. A local musician from my area, just passed away, I was surprised to learn he still smoked cigarettes. It didn't seem to affect his voice, and he did not die of lung cancer, he had stomach cancer. I quit smoking in 1992, I had to decide if I wanted to sing or wanted to smoke. I chose Singing. Some folks can get away with smoking and continue to sing, I was not one of them.

I'm very sad that the Cars are gone.

Mike T

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• 3 weeks later...

' Speaking to Rolling Stone three weeks after the death of the Cars frontman, Porizkova remembered Ocasek's "incredible gentleness" and his work ethic. She said he was continually writing in his studio whenever he was home, noting that he had a few songs written several years ago that were "entirely new and different and still very him and really hooky."

Read More: Ric Ocasek"s Widow Remembers His Last Day | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ric-ocasek-last-day/?trackback=fbshare_mobile&utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560