Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I�ve discovered this keyboard heavy genre called jai

Here are some examples.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eZX3eee335U

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qurC1H703Ms

It"s dance music that sounds like it"s made on Yamaha PSR-3000 keyboards.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll come out with my hands up, officer, just turn off that music. Its like a polka created by an aunt who got crocked on the cooking sherry. :Python:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

It comes from Flores Indonesia @MAJUSCULE.

The polka influence comes from that the Portuguese and Dutch had a big influence on the area, bringing polkas, schottisches, and marches that became translated into the local languages (in this case, Ngadha). Also some reason, cha cha, tango, calypso, and string band music are involved a long time ago in the 50"s.

And, speaking of aunts and grandads, long ago home organ backings were big for this music, mainly Electones and Lowrey Holiday/Magic Genie stuff. Nowadays Yamaha PSR keyboards (mostly either PSR-3000 or PSR-s975 or PSR-SX900, sometimes even Yamaha Genos or Tyros for the bigger artists) are uniformly used by most people, some use Technics KN-7000 or others.

The beats seam to be based off a mix of Europop/Schlager, polka, disco, and other stuff. But the main influence is string bands. In the region of NTT, string bands are found very commonly, with a mix of double bass, ukulele/banjo/guitar type stringed instruments, a double beak flute (hence the duophonic playing of panflute patches), and percussion (tambourine, shakers made out of a plastic bottle filled with stones as shakers, and hand clapping), also close 3-4 part harmonies influenced by traditional accapella singing. As well as gongs are used. Also, chants are common, and shouts/scats/etc. adapted from folk singing (a cappella or backed by string band or arranger keyboards).

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I'll come out with my hands up, officer, just turn off that music. Its like a polka created by an aunt who got crocked on the cooking sherry. :Python:
That's a bit harsh. What's in the ear of the beholder... this may sound great to someone with a different sensibility. Different cultures, different generations, different geographies - often prefer different musical styles and genres. And the sound sources accompanying those different styles are often embedded in those genres with a sense of history and popularity. And for the rest of you to deride someone's sound inclinations who maybe has a different set of tastes than yourself is going quite a bit too far.

However, upon listening, you don't go far enough. This is truly horrible.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

That's a bit harsh. What's in the ear of the beholder... this may sound great to someone with a different sensibility. Different cultures, different generations, different geographies - often prefer different musical styles and genres. And the sound sources accompanying those different styles are often embedded in those genres with a sense of history and popularity. And for the rest of you to deride someone's sound inclinations who maybe has a different set of tastes than yourself is going quite a bit too far.

well played, sir

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

HAH! :laugh: Sorry, but polkas are alternated with Swedish death metal in Hell. Wagner does a lot of screaming about it. Your basic point is fair. I like a certain amount of dub, for example, which is reggae meets synths. That's a sweet blend of Third and First worlds. I also don't sneer because they aren't employing Prophet-12s. I don't have one, either! I truly enjoy ethnic instruments and tunings as fun on their own and often great synth partners. I'm a great fan of the influences I heard from Herbie Hancock and Peter Gabriel, whose WOMAD doings drew me in. Check out "Paco Sery Sanza, Alune" on YouTube, playing a sublime kalimba solo with the Zawinul Syndicate, too. So its not disrespect for culture or uplifting musical fun in particular. Its simply that polkas are the work of demons. :chainsaw::)

~ John Cleese

Lets not forget we are commenting on music created in a country where the average weekly wage is US $70 and was a Dutch colony for 350 years prior to achieving hard fought for independence in 1949. What we might characterise as an old fashioned polka style rhythm they might find uplifting and a temporary release from otherwise pretty hard life eeking out a living.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Lets not forget we are commenting on music created in a country where the average weekly wage is US $70 and was a Dutch colony for 350 years prior to achieving hard fought for independence in 1949. What we might characterise as an old fashioned polka style rhythm they might find uplifting and a temporary release from otherwise pretty hard life eeking out a living.

Good point. Modern instruments are GAS for us, but out in the Van Allen Belt for many others. I recall Keyboard's old issue about e-music in Russia, where it was noted that even giving a musician there a Boss pedal meant they had to pay something akin to X times the retail price in gift taxes alone. Full stop, eh? Its not easily managed in repressive or economically bleak places. Glitch or avant-garde should be style choices, not a result of having to re-build antique gear with gaffer's tape. Its easy to see how someone who once only had a log drum would be astounded to get an old Casio. I could get spanked for winding up about the drawbacks of colonialism in general, but as a pal said "One of the worst things that can happen is for you to live on top of natural resources a world power suddenly desires." Its rarely a path that leads the natives to being able to carp over synth design. Lucky us. :doh::shudder:

~ John Cleese

Its easy to see how someone who once only had a log drum would be astounded to get an old Casio.

I'd like to hear that (probably ancient) style of music accompanied by the original native instruments, without the cheesy PSR/sequencer backing. Some of the vocal harmonies sounded pretty interesting.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Here"s the traditional instruments

Stringband: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ts_5XUejL0E

Stringband:

One with gongs and flutes and woodwinds:

Xylophone Band:

@Wastrel: here you go, this is strictly acoustic music, which I had a hard time finding. They use a lot of unusual block harmonies in the vocals. A lot of instruments that are traditional include ukulele/guitar type instruments, a bass instrument that looks like a giant ukulele that the string is struck with a stick and the string is tuned to the key of the song, so if it was in C, it would be tuned to C, and so on. Seems there are flutes (sideblown, bass slide flutes, and double joined beak flute similar to panpipes or ocarina), and also xylophones, which are basically similar to the kolintang bands of Sulawesi. Also gongs and percussion, like shakers made of shells and wood.

Here is similar music from Maumere, the stringbands are there too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3q8psbjBUIU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WFi5PPDOxAM

@Wastrel: here you go, this is strictly acoustic music, which I had a hard time finding.

Interesting. Thanks.

I'd think a musicologist could have a field day tracing the origins of this. I've heard music very similar to this in southern Mexico. Also reminiscent of some Peruvian folk music, and the vocal harmonies at times remind me of the African choir on Paul Simon's Graceland. That covers a lot of ground geographically, but musically I'm hearing some common themes. Plus they seem to be having a blast jamming with their buds. All good.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain