Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Chain Keyboards?

Hey gang - sorry to bug. I was asked to learn 4 songs for some 'rock n roll all star' charity event (set aside the pretentious title - I"m clearly no all star, just a guy with a keyboard). 3 are no problem, keys stand out and easy for me to hear - hence learn.

But the 4th is Fleetwood Mac - The Chain. I"ve listened to it a half dozen times and i swear i"m not hearing keys other than some held organ notes / chords in the chorus/bridge parts. I called the bass player, who was the guy who recruited me for the songs. yeah - as you would guess -asking a bass player about the keyboard parts didn"t go anywhere lol.

Are there more keys in The Chain that any of you with still-functioning ears can hear? Anyone happen to play it and able to offer tips, chord/cheat sheet, transcript, anything/other? I just hear a couple guitars and bass thru most of the song

I don"t have to be literally authentic to the original, if you have a creative way you play keys on it, btw :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...any of you with still-functioning ears can hear?
You do realize that you"ve just eliminated 50% of the population here, right? :D;)

I agree with the previous recommendations. I"d just lay on some Hammond and call it a day.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

never let me mock bassists again - he just sent me a link to a live version which is what they reportedly do. clear organ chords in the bridges and chorus. As Sir Moonglow advises ... hold a few chords and call it a day. Let the duals guitar shine in the verses with the tri-harmony vocals. No need to muddy it up with keys, less is more.

Class dismissed, thank you for your attention.

Edit: oh, and there really isn"t a bridge. I guess i just always say that. Just verse straight into chorus. One lil break at one point/

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

There are some interesting and difficult to hear keys in the original studio version. I play in a Fleetwood tribute band and I just play like the live version because it contributes more to the bands overall sound. I never figured out exactly what was happening on the studio version anyway.

I usually seek out live versions with songs with lots of little parts/hard to hear parts. Case in point for one I'm learning now, Let it Whip by the Dazz band, found a good live vid without a bunch of tracks playing (which is getting harder and harder to find)...really gives a good idea for what works live with an actual performance with one player.

• 3 years later...
On 9/21/2019 at 10:23 AM, MotiDave said:

Did you ever get an answer to this one?  I'm working on it too.

Hey gang - sorry to bug. I was asked to learn 4 songs for some 'rock n roll all star' charity event (set aside the pretentious title - I"m clearly no all star, just a guy with a keyboard). 3 are no problem, keys stand out and easy for me to hear - hence learn.

But the 4th is Fleetwood Mac - The Chain. I"ve listened to it a half dozen times and i swear i"m not hearing keys other than some held organ notes / chords in the chorus/bridge parts. I called the bass player, who was the guy who recruited me for the songs. yeah - as you would guess -asking a bass player about the keyboard parts didn"t go anywhere lol.

Are there more keys in The Chain that any of you with still-functioning ears can hear? Anyone happen to play it and able to offer tips, chord/cheat sheet, transcript, anything/other? I just hear a couple guitars and bass thru most of the song

I don"t have to be literally authentic to the original, if you have a creative way you play keys on it, btw :)