Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC4

If you're a member of the Mastering V.A.S.T. forum, I built a Leslie effect from scratch that is light on effects units and mimics the characteristics of the Ventilator (as close as I could get it). I know there are a couple of forum members here who are using it.
At last year's summer Eastern Seaboard Hang, I demoed Bill's single (7 unit) Leslie, and all agreed that it was superb. The main trick that I noticed was that Bill simulated a real Leslie's frequency response curve to a T.

I use Bill's Leslie exclusively at all my gigs.

I see "KB3 Small FX", is that what you're talking about, or something different?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I downloaded a couple of Bill's Hammond/Leslie KB3 patches, then once his Leslie effect was in the PC3, I switched most of all of my KB3 patches to that effect. Better than anything I have been able to come up with. Used it this morning at church.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
One question: how do the acoustic pianos in the PC4 compare to the SP6? More samples per note, or the same? Also, it seems the key action is the same in the two boards.

The factory sample set is the same size, and lists the same piano samples. They"re almost certainly identical. I can"t speak to the programming, however, so it"s always possible they"ve tweaked piano presets.

Is the PC4 then the identical action and APs as the SP6, but with extras at basically the same size/weight + $700?

Not identical, as the PC4 has aftertouch that is lacking on the SP6. That may affect the way the bottom of key travel feels, but otherwise they should be the same basic design. I doubt there"s any intention to bring the FM engine back to the SP6, so the higher cost does get you more physical controls, aftertouch, and the newer sound engine as well the sequencer, on-board sound design, etc. It"s a pretty attractive price point for what it offers.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

The PC4 has twice the polyphony 256 vs 128 and 4096 vs 1024 user programs, over 1000 factory presets vs 256. Plus the draw bars, larger color display, after touch and the FM synth. So I think that with all these, the price difference here is definitely justified. But that is only in my opinion.

I'm not sure if they did anything to the amount of 'Favorites' the SP6 has 5 which is my biggest issue with it. I really would like at least 10 like the Forte has. There are ways around it by storing a multi and selecting zones. Which is great if all you want are programs. But as soon as you want user multis with splits and layers, your down to only 5. I ended up writing the numbers on my setlist and calling them up that way.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

The PC4 has twice the polyphony 256 vs 128 and 4096 vs 1024 user programs, over 1000 factory presets vs 256. Plus the draw bars, larger color display, after touch and the FM synth.

plus assignable outs, on-board sound editing, many more simultaneous hands-on controls (with more customization available for what you can do with them), sequencer, ability to load custom samples, 16 zones vs 4 zones, optional ribbon

I'm not sure if they did anything to the amount of 'Favorites' the SP6 has 5 which is my biggest issue with it. I really would like at least 10 like the Forte has. There are ways around it by storing a multi and selecting zones. Which is great if all you want are programs.

and also, each Category button can be set with a customized default program, so that gives you one-button access to 10 more favorite programs (one in each category)... again great if all you want is programs...

But as soon as you want user multis with splits and layers, your down to only 5. I ended up writing the numbers on my setlist and calling them up that way.

I'd like to see them bring back some version of Quick Access Mode, where the keypad can be repurposed for one-button access to banks of ten sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My Forte 7 has 50 favorites banks with 10 sounds each that you scroll through using the channel/zone buttons next to the screen. scrolling to the next page does not change the sound that you are currently playing so it's functionally the same as quick access mode on my pc3le6 but better becuse the favorites buttons are in the middle of the control panel just under the screen. When I imported all of my user objects from pc3 to the forte i got 19 additional favorites banks corresponding to the 19 quick access banks i used in my pc3le6. User mode must be changed to advanced in the global menu or you just get 10 favorites plus whatever you assign to the category buttons. There is no way they've abandoned both favorites and quick access on the pc4 is there?

How was the Q&A with Chris? Any archive of this stream?

I haven"t had a chance to watch yet, but it"s archived in two parts:

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

How was the Q&A with Chris? Any archive of this stream?

I haven"t had a chance to watch yet, but it"s archived in two parts:

It's pretty hard to watch, the sound and video quality aren't too great. I think I prefer well recorded demo videos to give a better idea of it's sound. Plus with LIVE Q&A you get all the walters who ask the same old questions or decide its a place to critique the instrument..... what keybed does it have? wheres it made? it's cheaply built, it's too expensive... bla bla bla...

P. 9-2 of the manual - under Global - Display:

".... 'Quick Access' view shows the names of

10 favorite Programs and/or Multis, which can be selected by pressing the corresponding

numbers on the Keypad.

To access more than 10 Programs/Multis, use the CHANNEL/

LAYER/ZONE/TRACK buttons to select a different Quick Access Bank...."

The PC4 has twice the polyphony 256 vs 128 and 4096 vs 1024 user programs, over 1000 factory presets vs 256. Plus the draw bars, larger color display, after touch and the FM synth.

plus assignable outs, on-board sound editing, many more simultaneous hands-on controls (with more customization available for what you can do with them), sequencer, ability to load custom samples, 16 zones vs 4 zones, optional ribbon

Yet it's almost exactly the same weight/size as the SP6. Amazing -- apparently they found some way to economize on weight/size between the SP6 and the PC4. I'd expect both the cost and the weight/size to be around 30% higher, but the weight and dimensions are unchanged. If your criteria are primarily weight/size, with $$ not a big concern, then I can't see any reason not to choose the PC4.

Seems to me the PC4 is going to kill most of the market for the SP6.

I"m. It sure the PC4 will kill the market for the SP6. At its price point, the SP6 provides some good market segmentation for those of us who don"t need all the whistles and bells of the PC4 and for whom the different cost is important. However, I think an SP6 killer would be the inclusion of a better keybed in the PC4.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I"m. It sure the PC4 will kill the market for the SP6. At its price point, the SP6 provides some good market segmentation for those of us who don"t need all the whistles and bells of the PC4 and for whom the different cost is important. However, I think an SP6 killer would be the inclusion of a better keybed in the PC4.

I see you have both the CP4 and SP6 -- I'm guessing you like the CP4 keybed, but the SP6 not so much. Is there an advantage to having both of these boards? Maybe CP4 for home acoustic piano practice, SP6 for gigs w/ the extra sounds?

I see you have both the CP4 and SP6 -- I'm guessing you like the CP4 keybed, but the SP6 not so much. Is there an advantage to having both of these boards? Maybe CP4 for home acoustic piano practice, SP6 for gigs w/ the extra sounds?

I use the CP4 for primarily AP oriented gigs that don"t need the extra sounds. Groups that need B3, guitars, voices get the SP6. The keybed in the CP4 is more dynamic (for me) for APs and dense jazz chords sound better on it. The SP6 is certainly usable if I must, but the CP4 inspires me to improvise better.

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I downloaded a couple of Bill's Hammond/Leslie KB3 patches, then once his Leslie effect was in the PC3, I switched most of all of my KB3 patches to that effect. Better than anything I have been able to come up with. Used it this morning at church.

Where did you find these? I can't remember where they are located and lost them when my PC3 was updated.

Mastering VAST Forum in downloads (note: one must be a subscriber for access, charge is $6 Aus per year). Disclaimer: I am one of the moderators on the site. Haven't checked lately, but I would guess that the patches would still be there.

Nice thing about it is that, once even one of Bill's patches is loaded, that specific Leslie can be edited in to any other KB3 patch.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I use the CP4 for primarily AP oriented gigs that don"t need the extra sounds. Groups that need B3, guitars, voices get the SP6. The keybed in the CP4 is more dynamic (for me) for APs and dense jazz chords sound better on it. The SP6 is certainly usable if I must, but the CP4 inspires me to improvise better.

I'm in the market for the best available acoustic piano experience under 40 pounds, and was thinking the PC4/SP6 might be a good candidate. The CP4 also of course, but it's not available anymore, even on eBay -- it's replaced by the CP88. Looking forward to trying out the PC4 -- looks promising.

I'm in the market for the best available acoustic piano experience under 40 pounds, and was thinking the PC4/SP6 might be a good candidate. The CP4 also of course, but it's not available anymore, even on eBay -- it's replaced by the CP88.

Yeah... eBay and Reverb, as consumer marketplaces, are never really "out" of anything, things just come and go as people decide to sell.

Best available acoustic piano experience under 40 lbs, hmmm... yes CP4 is a contender, but at the 40 lb point, I'd probably stretch up to 40.1 lbs and get the Nord Piano 4.

Yeah... eBay and Reverb, as consumer marketplaces, are never really "out" of anything, things just come and go as people decide to sell.

Best available acoustic piano experience under 40 lbs, hmmm... yes CP4 is a contender, but at the 40 lb point, I'd probably stretch up to 40.1 lbs and get the Nord Piano 4.

I was thinking in terms of new CP4s for sale -- not a chance anymore. Occasionally a used one shows up, but I'm not too keen on buying used over the internet for such an old board, without a big price drop.

Never tried a Nord P4 -- they sure look good on paper, but are they as good in practice for APs as a PC4?