Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

Correct, it has a 6 pin Din for the pedal unit. But from the pictures on the internet no others. Sweetewater specs don't indicate any midi other than USB.

Okay, reading thru all the pages and posts, my eyes are tired and I may have missed this:

Am I correct in that the new S3000 does NOT have DIN MIDI, even if just a DIN MIDI out?

Yes, no DIN jacks.

Well that's too bad. If, and when a PX5S successor comes out they better leave the MIDI DIN jacks there.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

If, and when a PX5S successor comes out they better leave the MIDI DIN jacks there.

That, and a lot of other features we want to see in the successor! :boing:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have a Kawai MP11SE which is a joy to play on, but it's not really portable. I'm thinking of doing some small gigs from time to time (if you can call it gigs, more like small intimate venues).

A Casio PX-S1000 or 3000 would fit the bill perfectly for that. I've tried out a PX-S1000 and I was really impressed with the keybed ; it's no Kawai MP11SE, but it's really good considering the price.

I also have a Korg Kross 2 88, but that keybed is not really all that great for piano playing, plus I would need to lug around an amp or speakers every time, which I'd rather avoid.

Not sure yet whether to buy the 1000 or the 3000 yet, since I don't really need all those arranger functions and synth sounds, but on the other hand, even the number of pianos and EPs is really disappointing on the 1000.

Anyway, I do have a question : in the manual of both the PX-S1000 and 3000, it says that you cannot connect an iPad via USB and use the audio in on the Casio at the same time.

Normally, that's what I would do in order to hear the sound of the iPad through the speakers of the keyboard, whether it's sound coming from the Chordana app or a DAW like Garageband, or whatever. I think that's how you do it on Casio's previous models.

But if there's a warning in the manual saying that you shouldn't, then I assume the USB connection will transmit the MIDI data, and I should be able to hear the iPad via Bluetooth streaming ?

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Kawai ES110

You CAN use your iPad and USB MIDI at the same time. The manual is being cautious because as many people experience (with multiple brands) this could introduce a ground loop, causing some hum and noise. No reason you can't give it a try.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

If, and when a PX5S successor comes out they better leave the MIDI DIN jacks there.

That, and a lot of other features we want to see in the successor! :boing:

I'd be first in line for a PX5S successor with just the expression pedal input, DIN MIDI and USB MIDI, AND the ability to send MIDI on all 16 channels at once, like most workstations can. Can keep the same number of sliders and knobs. I'm okay with no touch screen. :) :)

David

I'd be first in line for a PX5S successor with just the expression pedal input, DIN MIDI and USB MIDI, AND the ability to send MIDI on all 16 channels at once, like most workstations can. Can keep the same number of sliders and knobs. I'm okay with no touch screen. :) :)

AND the new action.

Moe

---

AND the new action.

Well yeah, that!

David

You CAN use your iPad and USB MIDI at the same time. The manual is being cautious because as many people experience (with multiple brands) this could introduce a ground loop, causing some hum and noise. No reason you can't give it a try.

Oh, ok, then. Just wouldn't want to short out anything. After all, if it's in the manual and you ignore it, you've got nothing to argue about in case something does go wrong ;)

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Kawai ES110

• 2 weeks later...
On the 3000, how do you control the volume of the layers on the fly?

Can it be done with the knobs? If expression pedal (on part 2), then does that have to be setup per registration?

Knobs can be set to "Layer Balance" which allows you to crossfade between two parts (Upper1, Upper2). The Assignable Expression Pedal can also be set as "Expression" and set to just control Upper2 so you can bring the layered sound in and out as needed. This is per registration. We covered this in the video this week:

[video:youtube]

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

On the 3000, how do you control the volume of the layers on the fly?

Can it be done with the knobs? If expression pedal (on part 2), then does that have to be setup per registration?

This function was kind of important before I bought piano. ??? Why did Casio engineers choose to combine this layer fader with a fine tune control for knob2? I could of thought of 10 better uses for the 2nd knob.

Also, I can't seem to find a way to clear some experimental knob turning without turning off piano? This function has been on every board that I can remember. Tweak a sound, then back out by either a cancel switch or just choose a different sample.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Simply select the tone again and all changes are reset.

Thanks, but if my memory serves me, I tried this and it didn't work.

BTW, I would love a video or a written piece on how to to get the most of each knob configuration.

thanks again.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

BTW, I would love a video or a written piece on how to to get the most of each knob configuration
Quoting this for agreement. I need a primer on knob use, down to the level of step 1 push this button, step 2 then push this button, then each knob does this, etc.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

BTW, I would love a video or a written piece on how to to get the most of each knob configuration
Quoting this for agreement. I need a primer on knob use, down to the level of step 1 push this button, step 2 then push this button, then each knob does this, etc.

Consider it done. Stay tuned.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Can you go directly from the S3000 (via USB) to the Roland Fantom to play the V-Piano?

That would be more of a question as to whether the Roland supports USB controllers, as opposed to being a Casio question.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 1 month later...

QUESTION:

When performing in Split Mode, how can I change the Upper Tone in real time while continuing to play my Bass in the Lower Tone?

When I'm I Split Mode and I go to the Tone Banks, it's always the Lower Tone Mode edit screen. I can't seem to find a way to toggle it to Upper Tone edit screen while in Split mode, so that I can scroll the Upper Tones in real time. When I am at a gig and doing a split Bass, I like to be able to audition the various Pianos to hear which has the right character for the room.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

QUESTION:

When performing in Split Mode, how can I change the Upper Tone in real time while continuing to play my Bass in the Lower Tone?

When I'm I Split Mode and I go to the Tone Banks, it's always the Lower Tone Mode edit screen. I can't seem to find a way to toggle it to Upper Tone edit screen while in Split mode, so that I can scroll the Upper Tones in real time.

I'll be curious if there's a solution for this, as it has been a shortcoming on many Casio digital pianos in the past (and some other keyboards as well). The Privias that I think are good for this function are the PX-360 and PX-560.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

QUESTION:

When I'm I Split Mode and I go to the Tone Banks, it's always the Lower Tone Mode edit screen. I can't seem to find a way to toggle it to Upper Tone edit screen while in Split mode, so that I can scroll the Upper Tones in real time.

I'll be curious if there's a solution for this, as it has been a shortcoming on many Casio digital pianos in the past (and some other keyboards as well). The Privias that I think are good for this function are the PX-360 and PX-560.

Probably have to make registrations with different piano and bass splits and save the best ones.

AFAIK, you can't. Same with Layers. You have to "back out" to change any tone but the last one.

However, if you're connected with the Chordana Play for Piano app, you can change any of the tones directly in that interface without turning off Split and/or Layer.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

AFAIK, you can't. Same with Layers. You have to "back out" to change any tone but the last one.

However, if you're connected with the Chordana Play for Piano app, you can change any of the tones directly in that interface without turning off Split and/or Layer.

This or simply make registrations in advance. In a single bank you can have 4 variations that are one (virtual) button press away.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Thanks Mike. I"ve now set up a piano split bank. That"s a good solution and there are a ton of Registrations available to do so. I used Bank 42 which is a step away from my main Bank 1.

My main Bank 1 holds:

1. Grand Piano 01

2. Grand Piano with split Bass

3. Clean Tone Rhodes EP1

4. Vibes with split Bass

Bank 42 has the first 4 pianos with split Bass.

I"ve been using the Light 2 Touch Setting so I don"t have to play as forcefully.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Yes, I"ve used the 3000 as a midi controller with Gig Performer. Of course there are just two knobs but they map easily. I have it setup to pick patches in GP using the patch buttons on the 3000. This simple stuff works as expected. Setting up a split or layer should be easy as these are done in GP.

I see you"re in Patchogue. We"re practically neighbors. I"m in Center Moriches and have a gig in Patchogue Saturday night.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the 1000 yesterday. Some quick impressions:

The Negative:

--the underside of the keys is a little rough on the fingers.

--the maximum volume is no way near loud enough for "a small club" as some reviews claim

--the inability to create presets is odd and inconvenient.

--no way to wirelessly connect your IDevice and Chordana. Have to go buy a USB to lightning adapter.

--Hammond organ sounds are only adequate, and would vendors stop dumping pipe organs into these boards - no one uses them

The Positive:

--it sure is pretty (I have the white one)

--hammer action is good and responsive

--acoustic piano sounds great

--easy to carry around

--only 18 sounds means you have to actually play keyboard, not be a special effects machine for your band

Conclusion:

I bought the cheaper model because I didn't want 700 different bleeps and blurps (I have a Nord for that purpose). I also wanted hammer action for a good price. This is a great board for practicing, playing in a small combo, or performing as a lounge act. It's not enough to carry a full rock band on its own - you would need better organs - but it's a great addition to your stack if you don't want to spend the $$$ for a CP-40 just for the acoustic piano. The white is a nice option and you can channel your inner Liberace.

@al quinn how do you find it responds the VSTs in regards to touch? I'm currently using my old Nord Stage classic as a controller and it's not great. And yes, nearly neighbors. I have a gig Saturday as well in Patchogue....Bluepoint Brewery. Where are you going to be at?
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs