Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT; Big excitement in November!

I had to tell SOMEBODY, so here it goes . . .

Every year, in November, we (Novparolo) perform at a local Electronic Music event at the National Electronics Museum, up near Baltimore. It's an all-day event, starting around Noon, and going on until 9 or 9:30 at night, lots of performers, lots of tech!

This year, Thomas Dolby is going to join us! (Please, don't sit there and shake your head, asking "Who's Thomas Dolby?" Google "She Blinded Me with Science" if you must.) He's been teaching up at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, so he's really just up the road from us.

I know, he's not a Guitarist, but he is unquestionably a master at his craft, and one of the most forward-looking individuals in modern Music, as well as a leader and developer in modern tech. To be in the same show, on the same stage is a thrill, even for an aging fan like myself.

Pick one of your heroes, then imagine that you get to open for them, and maybe even talk shop with them. It's like that . . .

If you're curious, one of the ideas he's currently pursuing is the idea of Music Systems that behave like a swarm or hive, where different parts (notes, phrases, sequences & samples) were somehow aware and interactive, like birds swarming; you never see two starlings suddenly crash into one another, as the flock turns like a living whirlwind. I can't wait to hear more about this . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coolacious, W PS !

:2thu:

BTW, I just finished reading this book

The speed of sound : breaking the barrier between music and technology

written by..........Thomas Dolby !

I knew a bit abt his work but the book gives a whole new picture of the cat.

I won't spoil the adventure for potential readers

(& if you haven't, W PS, should definitely read this during Oct)

but there's much more to the guy than just his music.

If ya can't find the book

watch this

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

@d/halfnote - My wife got me that book maybe a year ago, knowing that I'd enjoy it; I also indulged in the none-too-recent RI of The Golden Age of Wireless, which included a bunch of alternate tracks and a DVD of the original concert video that accompanied the album release.

FWIW, I consider The Golden Age of Wireless to be the Sgt. Pepper's . . . of the Synth-Pop era, and I was not a fan of most Synth-Pop. (Vince Clarke, however, gets my respect, as the undisputed king of Synth-Pop; how many bands can one guy start?)

I'm already thinking about ways to make our set stand out - why wouldn't I? It's going to be a long day with a lot of performers, all the more reason to do something memorable.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I'm already thinking about ways to make our set stand out - why wouldn't I? It's going to be a long day with a lot of performers, all the more reason to do something memorable.

We'll want vids of the performance!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Work a sample/play a phrase of one of his hits into a solo?

YES.

I'm not sure, though, if it would be very good- or very bad- to have one loudly belt out,

SCIENCE!!

That"s the obvious choice, but it"s also a song TD is likely to play himself. Even though he might appreciate it, I personally wouldn"t want to step on toes, y"know?

Maybe something from one of his later songs? Or a chimaera of two different ones- imagine doing a snip of the guitar riff from Hyperactive and shouting 'Science!' in the processed voice of Hyperactive, instead of the normal way?

Or take the keyboard riff from 'Europa & The Pirate Twins' and do it on the guitar- briefly- using a guitar tone instead of synth.

Just brainstorming, of course. I don"t know what you can pull off on such short notice, or what your favorite deeper cuts of his are.

...actually, a deep cut might be even better than tipping your hat with a hit. You"d HAVE to be a fan.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

That"s the obvious choice, but it"s also a song TD is likely to play himself. Even though he might appreciate it, I personally wouldn"t want to step on toes, y"know?

Hence my pondering that it might be a very BAD choice... ;)

Maybe something from one of his later songs? Or a chimaera of two different ones- imagine doing a snip of the guitar riff from Hyperactive and shouting 'Science!' in the processed voice of Hyperactive, instead of the normal way?

Or take the keyboard riff from 'Europa & The Pirate Twins' and do it on the guitar- briefly- using a guitar tone instead of synth.

Just brainstorming, of course. I don"t know what you can pull off on such short notice, or what your favorite deeper cuts of his are.

...actually, a deep cut might be even better than tipping your hat with a hit. You"d HAVE to be a fan.

Indeed. Excellent ideas.

In his book, Dolby recounts a meeting with the poor fellow who appeared in the "Science . . ." video. He (the older gentleman) complained that ever since the video had been released, people would come up behind him in public, and shout "SCIENCE!", thereby scaring him out of his wits. Not sure that's a memory I want to invoke . . .

Heading out for a bit of gardening work, will check back later. Yes, a new hat is definitely part of the plan . . .

In his book, Dolby recounts a meeting with the poor fellow who appeared in the "Science . . ." video. He (the older gentleman) complained that ever since the video had been released, people would come up behind him in public, and shout "SCIENCE!", thereby scaring him out of his wits. Not sure that's a memory I want to invoke . . .

maybe whisper it, then lay a finger over your lips going "Shhh... !", while holding up a little sign on a stick that says"(Science... )"... ?

Just kidding... ;):D:thu:

Heading out for a bit of gardening work, will check back later. Yes, a new hat is definitely part of the plan . . .

Yes! Very good. Stylin' haberdashery is in order.

• 2 weeks later...
[font:Century Gothic]Wish I could be there. I'd so get my copy of his album The Flat Earth signed.[/font]

My wife wants me to ask him to sign my copy of The Speed of Sound: I'm hoping we can get him to pose for a photo (not a selfie) with Novparolo?

That is ultra kool!

I saw his show in NY around the time "Hyperactive" was out.

After getting "Golden Age" I was a minion.

Can't recall the title-was it "Astronauts and Heretics"? There was a song,

"I Love You Goodbye", gets struck in my brain to this day. What an awesome event!

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491