Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Amazon Music Unveils HD Audio Streaming

Nice. I may have just dropped Spotify.

"Amazon Music HD offers customers more than 50 million lossless HD songs, with a bit depth of 16 bits and a sample rate of 44.1kHz (CD quality). In addition, customers can stream millions more songs in Ultra HD (better than CD quality), with a bit depth of 24 bits and a sample rate up to 192 kHz. Download options are also available."

Amazon Music Unveils HD: the 'Highest Quality Audio" for Streaming

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/amazon-music-unveils-hd-highest-quality-audio-streaming-1203338552/

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an Amazon Prime member, I've found a lot of great music for free on Amazon Music Player (the free app).

The Meters (debut album)

Charlie Parker Complete Savoy and Dial Master Takes

Earth Wind & Fire (Essential double album)

Cornelius Fantasma (most of it anyway - a couple of paid tracks not downloadable)

I had a free trial of Tidal, which streams in HD, a couple of years ago. I adored the sound, but felt it was too expensive to subscribe to. I only recently realised that I was entitled to use amazon music and have started doing so (nice not to have the annoying spotify adverts....). Overall though, I still prefer to spend nothing on streaming and use the money I save to actually buy CDs that I like... I can't help thinking that any streaming service could prove finite, and if they all folded, I will still have my entire record collection.... :)
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

This is a nice alternative to supporting streaming services that do nothing but provide music you could get elsewhere, while screwing artists out of royalties. If you're a Prime subscriber already, for its various other benefits, this lets you try out music and decide which albums you want to buy directly and own forever, hopefully with some of the purchase price actually making it to the creator. Between this and Bandcamp, I think I'd have all I need for streamable media. I still prefer tangible products, both bought AND sold.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I have to mention I'd achieved PhD requirements for my university EE education in the 90s, which however is considered nerdy to push through except for certain purposes, so I'm biased as part of the big engineering efforts that made computers and streaming audio possible. I don't have an Amazon audio account (to my knowledge anyway), only a cloud and normal book and DVD account, so I don't know the exact ins and outs of that,. but there's marketing issues with the quality of let's say internet radio streams, and how much real appeal high res audio has. Take for instance Blu-ray audio of good artists, or (as I use) Actual high definition audio in uncompressed (or lossless) form like from one of the higres audio sites like HDTracks: there's added clearness when playing those tracks on neutral, broadband, low distortion audio systems with good DAC, but honestly, like a lot of CDs, it easily sounds sterile and cold and harsh as well. Some well (post) produced CDs are bearable on certain systems, and some of the neutrally recorded HD tracks of for instance an orchestra sound interestingly good, but, because of specific scientific/technical reasons, every current digital to analogue converter will make a mess of the sound for high quality systems, one way or another.

T.