Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ken Burns' Country Music

Border blaster AM radio stations were briefly mentioned in Part 2 as having a huge influence in making the Carter Family's popularity so big nationwide. I wanted to know more about them, and found this... if anyone else is interested in this stuff.

http://www.theradiohistorian.org/xer/xer.html

Fascinating reading... the cutting edge water cooled power tubes cost $36,000.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I hear of a new Ken Burns doc my mind immediately turns to 'I wonder what he will leave out/neglect to include?' For this one, I"m betting he doesn"t mention Hank Thompson, whom the public seems to have collective amnesia over.

I remember Hank Thompson. He's best known for the song "The Wild Side Of Life." Even better known is Kitty Wells' answer song, "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels." Country classics.

He mentioned Hank Thompson in episode 3 and "Wild Side Of Life" and Kitty Wells' answer song, "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels." It was Kitty Wells' first hit. It made her the first female country singer to top the U.S. country charts, and turned her into the first female country superstar. To the documentarian's credit, it also mentioned that the melody of both Wild Side and It Wasn't God was taken from the earlier Carter family song "I"m Thinking Tonight Of My Blue Eyes." I had figured that out myself while listening to episode 2 and I was pleased to see it acknowledged when they mentioned Hank Thompson and Kitty Wells' recordings.

I"m Thinking Tonight Of My Blue Eyes

Wild Side Of Life

It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Whenever I hear of a new Ken Burns doc my mind immediately turns to 'I wonder what he will leave out/neglect to include?' For this one, I"m betting he doesn"t mention Hank Thompson, whom the public seems to have collective amnesia over.

I remember Hank Thompson. He's best known for the song "The Wild Side Of Life." Even better known is Kitty Wells' answer song, "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels." Country classics.

He mentioned Hank Thompson in episode 3 and "Wild Side Of Life" and Kitty Wells' answer song, "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels." It was Kitty Wells' first hit. It made her the first female country singer to top the U.S. country charts, and turned her into the first female country superstar. To the documentarian's credit, it also mentioned that the melody of both Wild Side and It Wasn't God was taken from the earlier Carter family song "I"m Thinking Tonight Of My Blue Eyes." I had figured that out myself while listening to episode 2 and I was pleased to see it acknowledged when they mentioned Hank Thompson and Kitty Wells' recordings.

I"m Thinking Tonight Of My Blue Eyes

Wild Side Of Life

It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels

Great! I"m watching episode 3 later tonight. I"ve been doing Hank Thompson songs for years and whenever I ask if anyone knows who he is I get mostly blank stares. He had a great sound and a highly respected band.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I didn't see the documentary yet, but I did see Marty Stuart's hair a few weeks ago when he and his band opened for Steve Miller at the Oregon State Fair.

He is an extremely skilled mandolin player, but what he really seems to want to do these days is re invent the Ventures or the guy who recorded the American release ( not the Shadows version) of " Apache".

The audience who came to hear Steve Miller wasn't too excited about it. Steve also had him sit in for a few bluegrass inspired tunes.

The main event for me of that gig was hearing ( first time for me) Joseph Wooten on keyboards. His organ solo on " Fly Like an Eagle " brought the house all the way down. Miller doesn't feature him nearly enough.

He is an extremely skilled mandolin player, but what he really seems to want to do these days is re invent the Ventures or the guy who recorded the American release ( not the Shadows version) of " Apache".
He showed off some of his mandolin skills in episode 3. Yeah, he's got 'em. And he knows it. Nothing wrong with that.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.