Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

Getting ready to go to the Marillion Weekend in Montreal. So, of course, plenty of Marillion in my ears...

[video:youtube]

Opening act Friday night is District 97. I've had the pleasure of seeing them once before, and look forward to hearing tracks from their brand new album. (This is from their last one.)

Saturday night's opener is Sylf, stage name of Marillion guitarist Steve Rothery's daughter.

Should be quite a weekend. High energy. Chill moments. Great fans & friends. And from what I hear, an amazing light show.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

There was a band here in Louisiana, in a neighboring town called Lafayette (the heart of Cajun Country) in the '70s named Zuider Zee. Their manager hauled them to Memphis for a bit but they returned to Lafayette and actually scored a record contract with CBS records and put out an album in 1975 that stiffed (the production pushed them more ina soft rock direction, instead of their actual Abbey Road-era Beatles/Wings/Badfinger powerpop leanings) and they broke up, but a couple of years ago they gathered long lost demo recordings and released them on the Light In The Attic record label (which specializes in releasing lost recordings), and it's pretty much all I've wanted to listen to for a month or so since a friend hipped me to it and I tracked down a nifty orange vinyl copy... another friend said he was ina record store when the band's drummer was dropping off a bunch of copies of the record on consignment so he felt compelled to buy it immediately, and the guy was so happy that anybody cares about the band.

There was a band here in Louisiana, in a neighboring town called Lafayette (the heart of Cajun Country) in the '70s named Zuider Zee. Their manager hauled them to Memphis for a bit but they returned to Lafayette and actually scored a record contract with CBS records and put out an album in 1975 that stiffed (the production pushed them more ina soft rock direction, instead of their actual Abbey Road-era Beatles/Wings/Badfinger powerpop leanings) and they broke up, but a couple of years ago they gathered long lost demo recordings and released them on the Light In The Attic record label (which specializes in releasing lost recordings), and it's pretty much all I've wanted to listen to for a month or so since a friend hipped me to it and I tracked down a nifty orange vinyl copy... another friend said he was ina record store when the band's drummer was dropping off a bunch of copies of the record on consignment so he felt compelled to buy it immediately, and the guy was so happy that anybody cares about the band.

Damn! Thanks, p90jr. Great stuff!

I do think that I vaguely recall running across the name of that band long ago, but memory serves little else...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 2 weeks later...
[font:Century Gothic]Still kickin' it to a lot of non-English-language songs. These guys are coming to town at the end of September.[/font]

Very cool!!! Thanks!!!

Modern tunes I'm spinning:

District 97

Steve Hackett

A bit older:

Dug out Crack The Sky's "From The Greenhouse" album.

And as a further throwback, a Procol Harum best of. I have to learn a version of "A Salty Dog" by October. Might go with this live version, or Transatlantic's version to ad some of Roine Stolt's guitar parts.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• 2 weeks later...

[font:Century Gothic]For want of a better word, "suites" from rock albums. Think the 3 parts of Karn Evil 9 from ELP's Brain Salad Surgery, Ballet for a Girl in Bohannon from Chicago's 2nd album, and this, the last 2 minutes of which I'm listening to at the moment:[/font]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah, CEB, nice try! I haven't ever heard the Baby Shark song, and I don't intend to listen now, thank you!

OTOH, I went to a dear friend's birthday celebration last night, and Karaoke was part of the evening's entertainment. After some particularly excruciating renditions of tunes like Having My Baby, and Copacabana, I had to clear out my brain . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Baby Shark is huge. I went to an Illini football game a Saturday with the family and they played it on the Jumbotron. The Illini dance team did a routine. My daughter said that it"s really popular now and they had to sing it to patients while on pediatric clinicals recently. ð

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 2 weeks later...
Somehow I totally missed out on Insane Clown Posse. This is some crazy stuff. I"ve led a musically sheltered life. ð¤¡

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Zappa, in rare form, hits almost every style of music &(even quoting some country-rock tune I can;t quite place (4:35 +)

then throwing the options open for client selection @ 6:45

As the band switched perfectly into Boogie form I couldn't but recall that at one time, Henry Vestine of Canned Heat had actually played in the Mothers....

Then the clock reached the 10:30 mark &. well, hear it for yerself .................

d=halfnote