Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

To Grand or not to Grand...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something about the acoustic propagation of playing a grand that no upright or other keyboard can capture. That deep body jutting out before you and resonating vertically out into the room. You Play the Room more with a grand, while an upright is right there in your face. Living in a city apartment, I can't possibly hope to get a piano of any kind, but the moment I move to a house, I'm getting a grand, even if I have to pay off loans for 10 years.

Also, space doesn't have to be that much of an issue, there's plenty of storage space underneath a grand, where you can't really do anything with an upright, even though it takes up less room.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Congrats Sam! Looking forward to hearing you play it

Thank you Al. I know you and Dave Ferris have large Grands in your home studios. That definitely motivated me to take the step.

Wow, I shouldn't have read that! Gets the wheels turning.

You could find a real nice used grand much cheaper than that if you have the space for it.

"the GL-40 is a superb choice for the sensitive musician". :thu:

I like this marketing slogan. It makes me feel more sophisticated!

There's something about the acoustic propagation of playing a grand that no upright or other keyboard can capture. That deep body jutting out before you and resonating vertically out into the room. You Play the Room more with a grand, while an upright is right there in your face. Living in a city apartment, I can't possibly hope to get a piano of any kind, but the moment I move to a house, I'm getting a grand, even if I have to pay off loans for 10 years.

Also, space doesn't have to be that much of an issue, there's plenty of storage space underneath a grand, where you can't really do anything with an upright, even though it takes up less room.

Yes, Playing a Grand is a whole different experience. I can't tell you how many times I've changed apartments because of noise complaints. Eventually I ran out of options, and got my upright delivered to a local Church. That's how I managed my piano life during school years.

The other side of that is, there's much more wiggle room off list on the Yamaha and Kawai pianos then Steinway - which has next to none.

Congrats on the new Kawai ! Did you get it from Pierre in W. LA ? I remember there was a Yamaha or Kawai dealer out in Arcadia years ago. I don't know if they're still around.

Yes, Steinway is not nearly as flexible. It's incredibly easy to get good deals on Yamaha and Kawai. I didn't get it from Pierre, but he's very easy to work with. Unless you go there over the weekend, the traffic is just terrible going that way.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews