Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"If you could only keep one of your guitars..."

p90jr

Someone asked me this yesterday...

the answer... as far as looking ahead for money, the '65 Gibson SG Special...

as far playing for myself and playing out... The Variaxe, which he was appalled at as an answer... but it is a nice playing and sounding Strat copy and then the modeling imitates every other guitar I have to varying degrees of success but all more than well enough to fool the ears of your average audience member/make me happy on the sofa.

He also thought I was screwy for saying I usually play solid state amps around the house because burning tubes just to screw around doesn't make that much sense to me.

Too pragmatic for my own good?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pragmatic? PFEH!

I"d probably keep one of my hollowbodies or acoustics, even though I don"t play them as often right now, simply because I wouldn"t need an amp to enjoy them.

(Yes, I know I didn"t answer the question asked.)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I would keep my Ibanez RG321, 24 frets with two hum-bucking pups with a 5 position switch. Plus I can get to the 24th fret easy. It sounds almost as fat/deep as a Les Paul on the front pickup and as thin as a Strat on the Strat between the rear and middle pups. So I get almost the best of both worlds in one guitar. Plus it plays so easy throughout the whole fret-board. Otherwise I would keep my Strat style parts caster. But the RG321 is the best all around guitar I have ever owned ($299 new 10 years ago) and I am still rockin with it every 3rd day.

My latest addition to my arsenal will be the one I choose. I've only had it about 6 months or so. It's a semi-hollow body blonde Conti Heirloom guitar with 2 57 Gibson style humbuckers wound by Kent Armstrong with a 3 way selector, 2 volume 2 tone controls with Tele style knobs, LP style wiring. Gold hardware, Ebony fret board, Pearl and Abalone inlays, single cutaway, 14 to 1 tuners, 24 frets, etc, etc, etc...I'm in love with this guitar and all my others have been sidelined for 6 months now. Robert Conti is a very famous jazz musician that puts these babies together to his specs with materials from all over the place. He plays it and sent me a personal video of him paying it before shipping it to me with his comments. The main body and neck is made by Peerless. I will never be able to make it sound as good as he did, but I still enjoy trying my best to get some great sounds each time I [pick] it up! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Easy. Late 70s Fender Telecaster Custom. A player's guitar if there ever was one, with a choice between the traditional Tele twang of the single coil and the nice and fat Fender Wide Range pup.

Nice, I have a late 80s (I think) Fender Japan version of this guitar in black... I call it Keef, for obvious reasons. Was my main squeeze forever.

Oh, and welcome to the board (if I haven't already welcomed you... hard to keep track since I pop in between coffee breaks at work)!

I would have to go with my Carvin CS6T, which is the guitar in the picture just to the left of this message. When I had it built, I wanted basically the ultimate Les Paul, in my personal opinion. With its mahogany body and neck, with a quilted maple top, ebony fretboard, and stainless steel frets, it produces a clear bright sustaining sound while keeping that humbucker warmth. Yeah, I love my new Kiesel, but the Carvin will always be my go to guitar.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Depends on the reasoning for having to only keep one.

Normally, I would say my Gibson ES335.

But if I were in the position that I had to sell most of my gear, that would be one that would get me the most money.

In which case, I'd keep my PRS SE Custom Semihollow, with a Dimarzio Bluesbucker in the neck position. Almost as nice as the 335; perhaps a little more versatile.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I would have to go with my Fender Coronado II. I have better but it is an electric hollow body and I played it for several years gigging so it has memory value to me. Can hear it with or with out an amp. Jim

Sweet, and rare... They were popular with the Zydeco and Cajun Music guitarists around here when I was a kid for some reason, though...

One of my two SG's, probably the black one, Nemesis, because I still think black is the perfect color for an Electric Guitar.

I honestly like the Cherry Red one more, but as Wesley Snipes says, "Always bet on Black!"

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I have no idea. I like a lot of them for different things.

The one with the most sentimental value is the used Strat Dad got me when I was Kid. It"s a 71. But I don"t play it much anymore. In the 90s I grew to favor Teles over Strats.

The guitar I play the most at home and I might be retiring is my Martin sloped shouldered dreadnaught. It"s not much to look at but feels and sounds nice.

Right now my main working guitar is a tricked out modded 600 series Yamaha Pacifica. Not my favorite but really versatile and does a great job.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt