Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Manufacturers Association proposes mini-jack TRS std

I have 15 devices with 5-pin MIDI sockets. Just imagine the nightmare...

About 25 years ago, when I realized that my gear had a number of 5-pin MIDI connectors that weren't easily accessible, I created a MIDI patchbay. It's based on a 19" rack mount telephone patch panel having two 26-position rows of 1/4" TRS jacks. I soldered two-conductor+shield cables to the jacks at one end, and 5-pin DINs at the other. The top jack row is MIDI Outs and Thrus, the bottom Ins. None of the jacks are normalled - all Out-to-In connections have to be made with 1/4" TRS patch cords.

While shield is connected to sleeve, I don't remember what tip and ring configuration I used. However, in this case it doesn't matter - I just made sure the connections were consistent.

This configuration is stationary - I don't gig - and has proven to be easy to use and quite reliable. I suspect if it was based on 1/8" connectors, that would not be the case.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's based on a 19" rack mount telephone patch panel having two 26-position rows of 1/4" TRS jacks.

That's really cool MIDI2XTRS

:D

I use 2 MTP-AVs as patch bays where everything is virtually connected to everything through my DAW. I assign a unique primary midi channel to each device so that all ports can be active at the same time. I can then just switch midi transmits channel from any board to control any device external to it. I know some people are sensitive to the midi latency - doesn't pose a problem to me.

Mike, thanks for the clarification on the motivation being more to avoid incompatibilities of existing jury-rigged (so-to-speak) solutions done independently of each other.

Obviously, this was a necessary move, to pre-empt long-term problems.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Future forum question:

Where can I buy MIDI headphones? None of my current phones or earbuds work with the MIDI output on my new keyboard!

how do I connect my midi out to my spacestation aka CPS SS3?

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• 1 year later...

Well, it looks like the new Novation Launchkey Mini uses the mini jack only. Needs a "breakout cable" to convert to 5-pin.

https://novationmusic.com/keys/launchkey-mini

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Now that's something I didn't know. Haven't even seen a ReFace around here yet and they've been out for a while...

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Well, it looks like the new Novation Launchkey Mini uses the mini jack only. Needs a "breakout cable" to convert to 5-pin.

https://novationmusic.com/keys/launchkey-mini

[video:youtube]

Same with the Empress Zoia, which appears in the same video. Zoia comes with two MIDI-mini jack adapters.

There are several synth patches on the Zoia that are playable via MIDI or the onboard buttons. Most polysyntch patches are 4-voice polyphonic - apparently more oscillators starts to overload the Zoia's CPU.

I agree with others that it simply isn't a long-term reliable connector. The UNO and UNO Drum use them and they were the first products I've owned that do so. They feel very flimsy. Certainly they can re-purpose a different connector? Even a mini DIN would be better. Or make the old S video connector?

Has anyone ever had a moulded 5pin DIN fail...? In 30 years for me, no.

I get the bi-directional thing, which is still possible with the extra unused pins. Would love IN/OUT/THRU on one connector.

Why even a mini-DIN/S-Video? Pins are closer together, more failure points if one gets out of line.

Maybe I'm set in my ways. I still dislike USB for live stuff. Ok for your mouse or printer at home but please no minijacks!!!!!