Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cable management tip

Just installed a set of these on my rig at church (at last count, about 16 cables of various kinds, sticking out of two keyboards, a monitor, and a mic). We all know the drill; even trying to be "neat" with bundling and velcro straps, it still looks like an ugly spaghetti-fest. I tried these zippered sleeves. They're a little fiddly to work with, so I wouldn't recommend them for gigging, but for a permanent install they're actually pretty good -- way better, at least, than just fully exposed cables and straps.

Cable Management Sleeve

Sorry, I should have snapped a "before" pic, but the "after" one is attached...

221.thumb.jpg.54a6552287d8b99013727cbfa67e1e75.jpg

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I use something similar live--flex sleeve, with a split (vs the finger-torture non-split kind) for my FOH snake. Looks way better, quicker to deploy/pack up than having three cables run, especially considering I'm often running them behind the drummer and around stuff. Flex sleeve ain't cheap but it's been awesome. Now I'm stereo though possibly "we're gonna need a bigger boat snake"...hopefully it will fit four cables.

Our former bass player had everything for each side (audio, power, lighting) snaked into hard plastic sleeves, these made setup and teardown so easy...plus they protected the cables.

Nice! I use something similar live--flex sleeve, with a split (vs the finger-torture non-split kind) for my FOH snake. Looks way better, quicker to deploy/pack up than having three cables run, especially considering I'm often running them behind the drummer and around stuff. Flex sleeve ain't cheap but it's been awesome. Now I'm stereo though possibly "we're gonna need a bigger boat snake"...hopefully it will fit four cables.

Our former bass player had everything for each side (audio, power, lighting) snaked into hard plastic sleeves, these made setup and teardown so easy...plus they protected the cables.

I do the same--the snakeskin type. It looks great and makes set-up practically instant.

I have my pedals velcro'd to stair-runners ($10/pack of 10 at Home Depot); like that welcome mat above, they make the perfect pedal board because they are ready for the "hook" velcro and the bottoms are designed not to move. Plus they look tidy, which my minor OCD favors.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

The church I worked at the 2nd keyboardist was in the front of the band box so all the chords could be seen and looked bad. We had lot big events that had a set designer so we had a lot of "pipe and drape" material around. So we just took a piece of the black drape cut a piece big enough to cover all three sides of the Motif and then used black gaffers tape to attach it to the Motif. Easy and if we needed to change cabling or take the Motif to and off-site show the drape pulled off easy and easy to slap back on. View from the sanctuary was nice black drape and just the top of the Motif showing.

Working there saw how some drape material or renting black table clothes from a party supply could take really basic tables or instruments and give the a nice look for audience and we also videoed all services and events. I was alway amazed at how the set designers could use just some pipe and drape and make real cool stages for events and pretty inexpensive.

As a super-cheap option, I"ve used pipe insulation. Easy to cut to needed length, pre-split, and closes up automatically.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I do the same--the snakeskin type. It looks great and makes set-up practically instant.

I have my pedals velcro'd to stair-runners ($10/pack of 10 at Home Depot); like that welcome mat above, they make the perfect pedal board because they are ready for the "hook" velcro and the bottoms are designed not to move. Plus they look tidy, which my minor OCD favors.

Not to derail the cable management :) but I picked up a mat for 3 bucks from home depot today. Took it home, velcro on my pedals sticks to it like a champ...they won't be moving and my stand legs should be on the mat (haven't tested it as my stuff is packed) to hold down the mat. We have an outdoor gig basically on mulch tonight so it will come in handy also to minimize mulch-in-pedal syndrome....:D

Sleeves? Who needs sleeves?

Woodstock 1969:

woodstock-power-cabling.jpg

Brings back nightmares of my time as a SysAdmin. I worked for Earthlink in the early days the company was like Civil War of the Windows internal systems people and the Unix ISP SysAdmin. The Unix guys were the gods the highest standards, everything done to perfection except one thing, their Comm' room had become a spaghetti of network cabling that makes that Woodstock photo look organized. At least three times the some of the Unix guys tried to clean up the room, thinking it could be done in two or three days. Everytime they could only get a small section done over the two on one time three day weekend.

That Woodstock mess reminds me of when I got my first job in a recording studio and the first job is breaking down sessions (and cleaning and making coffee). I'd come in early in the morning many times to a mess like that and spend an hour or more untangling and winding up cables. When I worked the Yes tour we used Clair Sound and Roy Clair was actually on the road with us, Roy was a fanatic about cable runs being organized and neat, and god forbid if you ever accidently stepping on once of Clair's cables. But that extra time setting up and organized cable runs made for quick tear down at the end of the night.