Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help - Both video out and audio interface on iPhone 7?

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry, this may be a bit long. Trying to help my teacher out.

My accordion teacher recently replaced her TV downstairs with a new model. She does a lot of Skype lessons (including with me now that I'm not in the area anymore), and has been using her iPhone 7 for them, hooked up to some computer speakers. Now that the old flat-screen +/-40" TV is free, she has moved it upstairs to her lesson space, and bought an adapter to output her iPhone's screen to the TV, so she can see the students a lot better during lessons. However, now the internal mic no longer suffices for her end as the iPhone is a ways away for both video placement and being restricted by the adapter. The mic doesn't pick up much any more. So, what she is looking for is to be able to have the iPhone's screen on the TV but also to have an external mic for better sound quality.

On my end I use an iMac with a thunderbolt interface and a condenser mic during lessons, which sounds great, and I'm wondering if there isn't a way to do something similar on iOS. I know there are interfaces that can be used with iOS, and also that Skype only sees one input and runs in mono. That's fine in this case. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any suggestions for being able to have an external mic, while also transmitting the screen to the tv for lessons.

Looking around the internet, it looks like a possibility may be to buy the USB3 Lightning camera adapter, connect a USB hub, then connect an interface to that with a mic. That takes care of the audio. What I am wondering then, is since there are usb to HDMI and USB to VGA adapters out there for computers, if they would work with the hub with the iPhone, letting the interface, mic, and video out all work with the iPhone 7?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

-Max

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Max,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. Yes, it should be possible: with the Camera Connection Kit (the one with the Lightning power passthru), it should be possible to hook up video and audio fairly easily without too much hassle thanks to a powered hub. Let me try to research some possible solutions - video is less my area of expertise than audio - and I'll see what I can come up with to help you and her.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music