Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Product advice: IEMs without an "over-the-ear" wire

I have been using a set of Shure E3 earbuds for my IEMs for many years now. I recently bought a set of Mee M6 as recommended on this forum, and while I'm happy with the sound and the fit, I find the wire-over-the-ear thing to be fiddly to fit. My Shure E3s simply push in to the ear canal, and the cables hang free from there. The obvious replacement for the E3s is the SE215/315, but they have an over-ear wire also. Similarly, Westone, most of Sennheiser's range, JHAudio (although out of my price range), etc.

Can anyone on the forum suggest a non-over-ear IEM set, comparable to Shure SE215/315 in price and quality? Apart from Etymotic, it seems this style is reserved for entry-level phones: Shure SE112, Sennheiser IE4 ...

Cheers, Mike.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

I can't recommend a quality IEM that doesn't do "over the ear". So I suppose you can discount the rest of this...

...but I believe there are good reasons for over the ear, despite the fitting challenges you're running into. With all headphones (including big fat over the ear) the typical point of failure is the connection of wire to headphone. It's the specific point of most flex over time, most movement, and most of us have several sets of earbuds, IEMs and headphones rendered useless by a broken wire connection.

This is why many (most?) expensive cans use some sort of disconnect mechanism to enable replacement of wire (thus saving a very expensive and unnecessary replacement of the still-functioning components...or perhaps upgrading the wire with third-party audiophile stuff).

Over the ear attempts to stabilize the junction point of flexion, I think.

I think the other advantage of over-the-ear is that there is some weight relief; the ear bud is supported by your ear rather than the fit in your ear canal. This means they can use larger (heavier) drivers and so on.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

RHA makes at least two such IEMs. I like the MA-650 for the money, but it"s not clear that they are still making it with a conventional miniplug. Sound quality and fit are quite good.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Thanks all - Dr Mike, the RHA MA-650 looks ideal except for that lightning plug! Again it's the lower-cost models that don't go over-ear.

The RHA750 is also interesting - although over-ear, it doesn't have a lump that fills the space in the centre of the ear, which may be preferable to me.

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks all - Dr Mike, the RHA MA-650 looks ideal except for that lightning plug! Again it's the lower-cost models that don't go over-ear.

The RHA750 is also interesting - although over-ear, it doesn't have a lump that fills the space in the centre of the ear, which may be preferable to me.

Cheers, Mike.

I was being as specific as I could to your needs. I am a fan of all the RHA models, and think they're great value for money. In fact, I would actually recommend that you gamble thirty bucks on the MA-390 just to see if it does the job for you!

There may still be MA-650s available from RHA or from dealers that haven't run out of stock yet. Do a search. Mine are my live-in-the-car emergency earbuds, even with all the costly ones I own.

mike

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I bend my over the ear wires to fit my ear and they actually stay in my ear like a hand in glove.

Funny how people say their IEMs have changed after a year and dont fit.

Its the ear that changed, which is why to keep a perfect fir you need a compantpy that has your mold already, no need to get another fitting, they simply add more girth until your ear loosens up again.

Ive got a pair of Layla and Roxannes from JHAudio. Theyre big because of the 3 x sets of quad drvers per ear.

But Ive gone through 3 ear displacements since 1996 when I first started using them.

Takes a few tears but I can stick a hot dog in them these days.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

There may still be MA-650s available from RHA or from dealers that haven't run out of stock yet. Do a search. Mine are my live-in-the-car emergency earbuds, even with all the costly ones I own.
So I was taking a flight today, and browsed the electronics outlet in the airport. I saw the lightning-equipped MA-650, and asked a sales assistant about a conventional 3.5mm connector. "No, I don't think so". Oh well, never mind. Then he calls me over - "is this what you need?". They had the 3.5mm MA650s on clearance, approx 40% off. I got them for £30 (which is basically $30+sales tax), which is pretty cool value for an aluminium earphone. Many thanks Dr Mike - I had never heard of RHA, and would have never thought to check them out.

Road test this Saturday on a pub gig. I'll report back after that.

Cheers, Mike.

I currently use Shure SE-425. Make sure to shape the over-the-ear wire to your ear.

I also use a cable clip to attach the wire running down my back to my shirt. With plenty of slack.

This keeps the wire from pulling on the earbuds when turning my head, and moving around. Everything stays nicely in place.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

So I was taking a flight today, and browsed the electronics outlet in the airport. I saw the lightning-equipped MA-650, and asked a sales assistant about a conventional 3.5mm connector. "No, I don't think so". Oh well, never mind. Then he calls me over - "is this what you need?". They had the 3.5mm MA650s on clearance, approx 40% off. I got them for £30 (which is basically $30+sales tax), which is pretty cool value for an aluminium earphone. Many thanks Dr Mike - I had never heard of RHA, and would have never thought to check them out.

Road test this Saturday on a pub gig. I'll report back after that.

Cheers, Mike.

SCORE! If you don't like them, I'll take them off your hands. ;) Really interested to know what you think of them, but I strongly recommend you wear them for casual listening for a day or two beforehand to check fit and comfort.

mike