Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Rik Ocasek

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one bites the dust. I never met him, but have friends, former colleagues and housemates, etc., who did some studio work with him at the helm, and they had nothing but positive stuff to say about how hard he promoted the Boston music scene and how he treated artists the same regardless of their stature.

There will likely be a more detailed obituary in The Boston Globe tomorrow.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

This is one of the biggest losses I've experienced as far as musical idols. Have always idolised The Cars and also really liked his solo stuff. What a loss :(

So bummed to hear this news. It sucked when Ben Orr passed away and now both of them are not with us. The Cars are just about my favorite band of all time (I float between them and The Police, Peter Gabriel, U2, Simple Minds in my top 5). I have always wanted to be a copycat of our esteemed moderator/chairman of KC shenanigans dB and have a band called The Police Cars that only covers those two acts. My car's license plate is THE CARS and I cringe every time someone asks me if it's about the Pixar movie.

RIP, Ric.

Like others here, the Cars were right there when I was really starting to pay attention to the musical landscape around me in high school in the late 70's. I loved the Cars because they were great musicians, great composers, and seemed to never take themselves too seriously. My kind of people (the latter - not the first two!).

RIP Rik. Thanks for being there when I needed to remind myself to lighten up!

(TinyPic is shutting down, and I can't figure out how to share pics from Google Photo here, so here's a link to an amusing Rik screenshot. :) )

Amusing Rik Screenshot

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Damn. And just when I hoped he might get out one last album -- eight years was his longest gap, and the last two were pretty strong (Nexterday and the Cars reunion album). I guess he'd done all he needed to do.

Meanwhile, the Beatutude CDs on ebay have quadrupled in price.

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

Yeah, way to go Dave! Really tight band, and the PEK makes a great Cars synth, along with the workhorse Kurzweil PC3!

Looks like the bassist has that elusive 50th Anniversary Fender Jazz Bass that I wanted but couldn't find (so I bought the Geddy Lee Bass).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I watched all of the Cars RnRHF induction. It was great to have them inducted at last, and I thought their special recognition of Ben Orr whose home was Cleveland, was touching.

I didn't think Ric looked all that healthy when I watched and listened to them, but thought it was only his "age". I believe he had coronary artery disease. From what my Cardiologist has told me, drinking "sugar free" soft drinks, smoking, high fructose corn syrup, and other foods that deposit plaque in your arteries are the culprit. Eventually the plaque blocks your blood from getting into your heart and you know the rest.

The Cars are one of my all time favorite "New Wave" groups. The Cars had a unique sound and made a contribution to rock music. RIP Rick.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Put together an arrangement of 'Drive' at my band rehearsal last night, to play this weekend. I was never very deep into The Cars, but I"ve loved that song since I was a teenager (actually, my best friend introduced me to it through the Deftones version, if you"ll believe it). Such undeniable songwriting in that band.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Looks like the bassist has that elusive 50th Anniversary Fender Jazz Bass that I wanted but couldn't find (so I bought the Geddy Lee Bass).

The person actually playing bass on the track is our original bass player, Matt Bissonette. He had left the band to go play with Elton when we shot the video.

We cut that at Sound City before it closed. Video shot at SIR.

Put together an arrangement of 'Drive' at my band rehearsal last night, to play this weekend.

My favorite Cars song. :thu:

One of mine, as well...certainly one of my faves to play. Makes a nice solo piano tune as well.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

The person actually playing bass on the track is our original bass player, Matt Bissonette. He had left the band to go play with Elton when we shot the video.

Yeah, okay, fine, I guess that's an acceptable reason to leave the band...

Put together an arrangement of 'Drive' at my band rehearsal last night, to play this weekend.

My favorite Cars song. :thu:

One of mine, as well...certainly one of my faves to play. Makes a nice solo piano tune as well.
Turned out to be a perfect tune for my new Mojo... rather than the synths of the original, I'm padding on the lower manual, and playing the hook on the upper with 2nd percussion. Works very well for our classic R&B leanings. Gonna give it a little bit of 80s flavor with my Seaboard in a few spots though, I think.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.