Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo 61 Review - (LONG)

This is interesting. I play mucho LH bass. I use an old sampled bass module from the 90's. Until recently, I ran it into a separate bass amp, which was perfect. Events have transpired, and now I have the output of that module muxed in to the Leslie along with the clonewheel output. The thing is, when in tremolo, I find the wobbling sound of the upper partials of the bass to be so annoying that it has actually restricted my use of tremolo. This will not stand, y'know? This aggression will not stand! I am looking forward to trying the so-called Memphis-mod this weekend!

Does Memphis mode sound weird?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Does Memphis mode sound weird?

I wouldn't say weird. I would say that the bass doesn't throb, so that the overall leslie effect is in the treble only and thus less intense.

One of my Speakeasy leslies is purpose built as a full time Memphis leslie, with a forward facing speaker for bass. It does indeed work as intended, and projects a more solid bass.

Moe

---

I believe Green Onions was recorded with a bass player. I can understand why, if you're trying to stage a totally authentic organ trio, you would use the Hammond-through-leslie for bass. Harder to understand why someone would do that if they have other choices and are not wedded to authenticity. I love the Rhodes bass sound paired with Hammond/Leslie in the right hand. While it might not be authentic, it's still very old school.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• 3 weeks later...
relating to Guido's video of the clavinet and the nano-kontrol: can you get the regular drawbars to control the clavinet switches if you remap the CC numbers so they're the same as drawbars 1-9? If that doesn't work, what if you did that and ran a midi cord from out to in?

relating to Guido's video of the clavinet and the nano-kontrol: can you get the regular drawbars to control the clavinet switches if you remap the CC numbers so they're the same as drawbars 1-9? If that doesn't work, what if you did that and ran a midi cord from out to in?

Good question. I going to try this.

Moe

---

I'm not sure if this helps but I have a Gemini module and I mapped the sliders on my controller to the clav switches, slider 1 is the briiliant switch, slider pulled down = switch in the down position, slider up is switch up. The next three sliders are mapped in the same order for treble, medium and soft switches. I also mapped the next slider to control the D/C switch and the next slider to the B/A switch. I also mapped the damper slider to a slider.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Question about the lower manual option on the Mojo: Is there a mode where the lower manual plays the Mojo brain, and the upper manual has local off but transmit MIDI out to play an external module? IOW, a way to get multi-timbral using another board or module?

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Yes, the Mojo61 has a Local Off button on the front panel ('Shift-hold' and the Perc button for 2nd/3rd). I had a need to try it today (but with my old DX7 as the lower manual, not the Crumar add on), and it definitely works (for me at least). But if the Crumar lower manual is on MIDI channel 2, it will play the lower manual 'brain' of the Mojo 61. If you want it to play the upper manual 'brain' of the Mojo61, it will need to transmit on Channel 1.

The web editor says you can change the transmit channels of the up/low/pedals (always an n, n+1, n+2 relationship), not sure if that changes the receive channels as well.

It"s probably in this thread somewhere, but dammed if I can find it.

Why does the Mojo 61 require the lower manual for the halfmoon switch?

Along those lines, I think I have a spare one around, could I wire that to work with the 61 and mount it on the front rail with Velcro?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Along those lines, I think I have a spare one around, could I wire that to work with the 61 and mount it on the front rail with Velcro?

They now sell a half moon for the 61. Check their website and/or Sweetwater. Happy Halloween!

Yes, the Mojo61 has a Local Off button on the front panel ('Shift-hold' and the Perc button for 2nd/3rd). I had a need to try it today (but with my old DX7 as the lower manual, not the Crumar add on), and it definitely works (for me at least). But if the Crumar lower manual is on MIDI channel 2, it will play the lower manual 'brain' of the Mojo 61. If you want it to play the upper manual 'brain' of the Mojo61, it will need to transmit on Channel 1.

The web editor says you can change the transmit channels of the up/low/pedals (always an n, n+1, n+2 relationship), not sure if that changes the receive channels as well.

Good tips; thanks NTL!

I'm now an official member of the Mojo 61 Club; acquired a minty late model over the weekend for under a grand. :thu:

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

They now sell a half moon for the 61. Check their website and/or Sweetwater. Happy Halloween!

Thanks, but nope, it says

Two versions are available in the store according to the required wiring:

Crumar Mojo / XT (dual manual)

Crumar Mojo 61 (requires lower manual) / GSi BURN / GSi DMC-122 (grey)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Interesting . . . . this is what I was looking at: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HalfMoonMJ61--crumar-half-moon-3-way-switch-for-mojo-61-dual-manual-organ

But your point is that it won't work unless lower manual is attached. I get it now.

I just use the pedal, so no direct experience with this.

Took some trial & error, but I rewired my Nord switch to work. When I bought the lower manual later, I just reattached it. The cord runs between the two manuals (the upper feet allows for a gap). I used 3M heavy-duty mounting tape. There's a newer 3M Command repositionable hook & loop style strip that works great for things like my Korg PlugKey and would probably work better than Velcro on a switch. HOW TO USE. Velcro has slight wiggle movement.

Here for the gear.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty excited. First of all, I finally got a good, portable expression pedal for it that works like a real console Hammond expression pedal, the FC7. I've been using an old Ensoniq pedal I had for years, but I recently discovered it doesn't have the range and didn't get as soft as other pedals. The FC7 also feels balanced like a real Hammond pedal is. (When I bought the Mojo, I bought the long throw pedal as well but it's anything but portable. That thing is huge.)

Secondly, after testing how the expression pedal jack was wired and what the various TRS combos did, I checked the old three position switch I bought from Eric years back. That was only wired for two position, but something told me to just try it. It turns out, without changing anything, that switch worked perfectly for what I want (Stop/Fast). With a 1.5' TS cable with two right angle plugs, the halfmoon mounted on the front side with Velcro (coming from Eric, you know the switch already had its side of Velcro!), this rig is perfect now. I couldn't be happier with it. :2thu:

:keynana:

355.thumb.jpg.ef389771ecde9ebe823154a5c588ea93.jpg

I've used an FC7 with the Mojo 61 for a few years, never a problem. Moves easily, wouldn't complain about the resistance. The Mojo pedal might be slightly better, though I don't think the FC7 leaves a lot of headroom for "better". The FC7 is clearly great bang for the buck. I worry a little about the cord getting damaged at the attachment point, but it never has.

FC7 user here too. Never had a problem

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Despite the resistance difference, I tried the FC7 and the Crumar long throw side by side, swapping plugs back and forth, and the range seemed the same to me sound-wise. I was only going by ear, but I felt like I got the same or very similar results with both pedals.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant electrical resistance. The Crumar pedal is 10k Ohms. I believe the FC7 is 50k.

(Retired Electrical Engineer here) - The resistance (within limits) shouldn't make any difference at all.

tl/dr: Yep, the FC7 works fine for me also.

More: These pedals are wired and used as a voltage divider. I can't find my notes right now, but I'm pretty sure the Mojo outputs +5 V and ground to the volume pedal. The +5V and Ground would go to the ends of the pot, and the Mojo reads the voltage out from the wiper of the pot.

So regardless the resistance of the pot, when it is at bottom, the voltage out is near 0V, at the top near 5V, and ~ 2.5V in the middle. It just divides it as a ratio of the resistance, top to bottom. Then the Mojo probably applies a response curve to that linear voltage swing to control volume (and EQ - to mimic the Hammond 'loudness' function - boosting Bass/Treble at lower volumes).

That "within limits" comment: A very low R value might load down the voltage that the Mojo supplies, so you would never see full volume. And a very high R might be loaded down by the input of the measuring circuit on the Mojo. You could experiment with a linear pot wired to a TRS jack, but I'd be surprised if anything between 1K and 470K didn't act the same. I'll see if I can find my notes later, I had the old DX-7 pedal that I wanted to re-use, and that uses a mechanical shutter between a light bulb and a Light Dependent Resistor (a very nice way to do it), and I determined that that light bulb drew too much current for the Mojo to source, so I never plugged it in to try. So I do have some measurements.... somewhere!

• 2 months later...
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can the Mojo 61 play its own internal sounds while simultaneously controlling another keyboard through the midi out port? If I could layer the Mojo's sound with an iPad that would basically cover everything I need. Also for those who have a backpack case for it (I saw a couple of people mention the Mono M80 case with straps on it), how heavy does it feel on the back? Would it be unwieldy if I had to take public transit with it?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can the Mojo 61 play its own internal sounds while simultaneously controlling another keyboard through the midi out port? If I could layer the Mojo's sound with an iPad that would basically cover everything I need.

[url:https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2778912/26] Helpful information [/url] about halfway down the page.

+ 1 on the the FC7

Here for the gear.

Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I can tell based on that conversation is that you can use the Mojo 61 as a MIDI controller to an external source or have both manuals where the upper manual plays the Mojo sounds, while the lower manual acts as a MIDI controller for the external source. I just want to further clarify if it's possible to use the Mojo 61 as MIDI controller to an external source while also simultaneously playing the internal Mojo sounds using only the single upper manual.