Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. Ric

Dannyalcatraz

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still recall buying The Cars' debut album on an 8-track at a neighbor's yard sale. Of course, I wore it out. It's up there with my favorite classics, next to Cheap Trick's, "Live At Budokan." Never caught The Cars in concert, though. Let The Good Times Roll, Ric Ocasek.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I remember going to see The Tubes, back in the Spring of 1979, and before the show started, the crew was playing the 1st Cars album over the sound system. Just a great sound, crisp Guitar, cool Synth tones, and that odd, but somehow perfect voice over it all. Great memories . . .

Rest In Peace, sir, and many thanks.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I sometime find renewal (or at least continuance) in music more than any other art.

Here's one example...

followed by something a bit more serious...

another example of artistic continuity...

& THEN A FINAL THOUGHT

MATCHED SET / NAME THAT RIFF

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4aQiFaCod8

DRIVE-BY MAYHEM

MATCHED SET / NAME THAT RIFF

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beh1ipK3hN0

A FINAL THOUGHT

"a broken lullabye-bye Love"

3:20 / Elliot Easton lays down the message

d=halfnote

Ric and Ben Orr played together for years in bands in Ohio in the 60s and early 70s, so that might've been an intentional tongue-in-cheek tribute to the Ohio Express with the "Just What I Needed" intro...

When I was a kid, I immediately noticed that the I - V - VI - III progression in "Just What I Needed" is the same as the verse in "I Want To Hold Your Hand," which is a brilliant thing to repurpose!!!

Then, Elliot Easton is upfront about re-using the riff that brings the chorus back into the verse in The Beatles' "I Will" for the same purpose (but even better catchy effect) in "Best Friend's Girl," and he's also pointed out that he stuck in riffs from tons of things in solos like "You're All I've Got Tonight" as tributes to people... I'll see if I can find one of those guitar-in-hand interviews where he shows all of those things... it's very cool.

Ric and Ben Orr played together for years in bands in Ohio in the 60s and early 70s, so that might've been an intentional tongue-in-cheek tribute to the Ohio Express with the "Just What I Needed" intro...

When I was a kid, I immediately noticed that the I - V - VI - III progression in "Just What I Needed" is the same as the verse in "I Want To Hold Your Hand," which is a brilliant thing to repurpose!!!

Then, Elliot Easton is upfront about re-using the riff that brings the chorus back into the verse in The Beatles' "I Will" for the same purpose (but even better catchy effect) in "Best Friend's Girl," and he's also pointed out that he stuck in riffs from tons of things in solos like "You're All I've Got Tonight" as tributes to people... I'll see if I can find one of those guitar-in-hand interviews where he shows all of those things... it's very cool.

Elliot was/is a premier example of what was considered a mainstay in the "time of the time"

A gtr cat who could do whatever was needed

Not directly the same but kinda like tryna "spotcheck Willie"

d=halfnote