Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The used market/ Yamaha CP4 and CP5

LX88

OK

I went to the music store recently to check out the new Yamaha CP88 and also the MODX 88.

I am electing to pass on these instruments at the present time. I wasn't wild about the CP88 for the price, and I probably don't want to mess with the MODX either.

Which brings me to the fact that on the used market, there are some CP4/ CP5 possibilities out there at some pretty good prices.

The CP5 prices are slightly better than the CP4's which makes me curious about it. CP5's are going for under 1000 dollars these days, and I am wondering if it might be sufficient as a home instrument.

So I am curious if anyone has experience with both. By the way, I recently picked up a Yamaha P 140 in a pawn shop for 150 dollars and even though I like it overall , I am probably looking for something a bit more refined. I know that the CP4 and CP5 have the wooden keys.... but my question is regarding the sound ( mostly through headphones at home).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very similar instruments sound and action wise.

The builds are very different though. Mainly Yamaha deciding to decrease weight on the CP4.

That isn"t relevant to you keeping it at home. So, sure. A CP5 is a nice pickup at $1k.

And yes, action and sounds are better than a P-1xx.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/1/314461/cp5cp50_en_om_d0.pdf

In the under/over $1k area you also have Casio PX-360, PX-560.

Kawai ES110, Korg D1. Some bells and whistles on the Casios.

But personally a CP5 would be preferable as an instrument to me over those.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Very similar instruments sound and action wise.

I think the actions are pretty different. CP5 is lighter, I prefer it. Also, CP4 is graded, CP5 is not.

Soundwise, the CP5 piano has SCM (modelled) aspects on the acoustic piano sound that are not duplicated on the CP4.

More info on the comparison at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2563996/Yamaha_CP5_vs_CP4

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I am intrigued that the CP5 is such a solidly built instrument and the fact that people comment on the lightness of touch.

I really haven't played one very much. I am reasonably satisfied with many of the older Yamaha samples, except for plunkiness issues that I hear right up through the MX 88 and most Motifs etc.

Surprisingly , this P140 that I picked up dirt cheap seems to sound smooth in the mid range through its own speakers. Using a subwoofer helps. I like the idea of built in speakers and the P140 was one of the better ones from years past.

Another reason that I would like to check out a CP5 is that the CFX sample in the CP4 isn't my favorite ( in the lower register).