Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie Preamp pedals

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Booker Lab is producing a series of products which do everything but be a pedal -- i.e. you need to supply either a half-moon switch or a latching pedal to use them. I have one which outputs either 147 or 122, and it has a fantastic internal amplifier. I believe mine is the LBB model D. https://bookerlab.com/product/lbb-breakout-box/

Disclosure - I consult for Booker Lab on these products

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

If money is no object.....

https://www.vintagevibe.com/products/leslie-tube-preamplifier

122 AND 147.....

I think someone here has one?

You can purchase two Trek UC1A pedals for the price of one of these, plus the UC1A appears to have more options.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I do not like Trek pedals - they seem to be a tone suck. More than once I have set up a leslie rig with a Trek only to hate the sound.

I use an old Leslie pedal that sounds so much better. The Booker box looks promising.

I expect the Trek pedals to be very linear. That would be consistent with MS's design approach.

Trek pedals are fine, I don't get all the hate for them all the time, this comes up once in awhile around here. Mike makes very good products. The UC1A is very good, strong and reliable.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Do you still have yours? Perhaps we could A/B the UC1A and the LBB-D next time you're up here.

Booker Lab is producing a series of products which do everything but be a pedal -- i.e. you need to supply either a half-moon switch or a latching pedal to use them. I have one which outputs either 147 or 122, and it has a fantastic internal amplifier. I believe mine is the LBB model D. https://bookerlab.com/product/lbb-breakout-box/

BookerLab is also developing a pedal, and in addition to footswitches can also be controlled via MIDI. I should have a prototype on my bench soon.

Disclosure - I also consult for BookerLab on these products.

PigMeat - yes, order from the website.

If you're ever near Kingston, ON, you can try mine.

Hey Darren, is this to run a leslie from the legend ? If so , just use the 11pin out and get a H/S 1122 or 1147 box. Trust me its the easiest and quickest setup. But , I"m not sure the H/S box comes as a 240v system

??

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• 9 months later...

I want to connect Nord Stage to a Leslie 122. Could I do it using the Bookerlab breakout box? I don't see a 1/4 line level input in the box.

VintageVibe's leslie tube preamp would do the job but $900 for a preamp?! Ouch. Could I use a guitar tube amp as a preamp? I understand the leslie needs a high voltage too to drive the 122 power amp but a guitar amp might be able to provide that since it needs to generate the voltage for it's own tubes too.

I am using this one as PreAmp into my 147 : https://www.thomann.de/dk/art_tube_mp_studio_v3.htm

Have not tested it with my band yet, since I have not finish my breakout kit yet, but it sound OK on lower volume.

They also have a cheaper model : https://www.thomann.de/dk/art_tube_mp.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8cTPhOGw6gIVmZSyCh3s7wLGEAQYBiABEgK4yfD_BwE

I have seen DrFishstick (Ebay) have shown his box with this preamp.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

There is this one, AFAIK the only tube preamp for Leslie currently in production. https://crucialaudio.com/product/leslie-122-147-interface/ . I own one, got it used for half price in Jan. Like it. Haven't made a recording of it but there are a few on YouTube.

Vintage Vibe's LP1 is sold out. But Ebay currently has a 147 model Speakeasy for a mere $700 BIN.

I couldn't find one i wanted so I made this:

That looks lean and compact! I'm looking at the 6-pin wiring of Leslie 122 it says pin-5 provides 300 Volts DC to the Leslie. How did you take care of that?

That DC is provided by the Leslie to power the preamp in old Hammonds. I don't need it (and don't want it in there).

The leslie doesn't have power supply so it can't provide power. It's the Hammond that provides power to the Leslie. Perhaps there's something I don't understand?

The Leslie does have a power supply. It powers the tube amp and also the 300 VDC used to power the preamps in Hammonds that need it.

The preamp in early Hammonds had a power supply that powered only the tube filaments in the preamp, 6.3 VAC. The high voltage for the organ's preamp was provided by a tone cabinet. Why did Mr. Hammond do this? Maybe to ensure that users would be tied to using a Hammond tone cabinet with the Hammond organ. I don't know. Hopefully some Hammond gurus here can pipe in can provide some history.

The Leslie does have a power supply. It powers the tube amp and also the 300 VDC used to power the preamps in Hammonds that need it.

The preamp in early Hammonds had a power supply that powered only the tube filaments in the preamp, 6.3 VAC. The high voltage for the organ's preamp was provided by a tone cabinet. Why did Mr. Hammond do this? Maybe to ensure that users would be tied to using a Hammond tone cabinet with the Hammond organ. I don't know. Hopefully some Hammond gurus here can pipe in can provide some history.

Well who would have thought. Thanks for the explanation!

You guys are talking like there"s 1 leslie standard when there"s 5-6, including 3 standards used in the models people care about. Both the 122 and 147 are 6-pin and send back 300v, but the pinouts are different. The 800-series and 900-series solid-state leslies use an 11-pin system that has become the modern standard, and it does NOT output 300v dc. It does provide a 24v tap that can power a preamp, though.

This site is still good reading:

Captain Foldback

The leslie section has a sub-section on all the different pinouts. A little peripheral to the subject of preamps,but if you"re using any vintage gear it"s good to know the basics, at least.

Back in the day, a lot of folks liked the Speakeasy stuff for a preamp, which was supposed to add some Hammond grease to the sound of the early digital clones. Of course, back in the day, clones really needed that. Even though they don"t any more, you may still like the mojo it adds to your Mojo. The basic Speakeasy was supposed to emulate the warmth of the AO-28.

While I have your attention, I understand that the leslie slow/fast control is done by applying a DC voltage to the audio signal. How does that work? Does your metal box do that? I only see a foot switch in the white box which I assume is the preamp?