Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MS Surface event Oct 2, 2019

I know some forumites are loving their Surface hardware.

Recent rumor suggests a 15' Surface Laptop.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2019/09/15/microsoft-surface-laptop-3-15-inch-new-leak-rumor-release-date-specifications/#daf5526365a0

Will have to watch this event to see what MS has for us this fall.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-announces-surface-event-october-2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to it. More so to one day fully escape the Apple ecosystem and get trapped in Ms's instead.

But keep in mind Surface Pros (I have had a few and like them) are like iPads **heavily glued together** there are very similar tablets just as versatile, though benchmarks show the Microsoft SP6 a bit faster Windows tablet, but a slower Toshiba SSD, that are **NOT** heavily glued together like Surfaces and one can change the battery, screen, etc in minutes rather than hassling with a heat gun that usually destroys the VERY HEAVILY GLUED Surface WIFI antenna at the top that is as hard to get as a hen's tooth. HP X2 G3 1013 Quad Core tablet that looks like a SP (not affiliated) (that comes apart with fasteners and not glue) is due to be updated soon too I would think. My next tablet after owning Surfaces will be one I can service myself easily. Wear the battery out on the Microsoft? They used to have a $500 dollar trade for one with a new battery but not sure if they are still doing it. Non-Microsoft comes apart? After 2 or 3 years you buy a battery for 80 or 90 bucks and replace yourself - not glued in (if one has the tendency to keep PCs/Tablets for a few years) Raise the size of the SSD while you are doing it and perhaps add an LTE module that might be 5G then. Crack the screen? - 10-15 minute fix with fasteners.

WH

WheelHead - I get that very well. What models would you suggest we look at?

The 2 I am familiar with that are easily serviceable (and that is a big thing if your battery is going - (my SP4 i7 appears about 80 percent of battery now from new) are the beforementioned HP Elite X2 1013 G3 (I kind of like to add to my SP 4 i7) and the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet G3. (rated 4.4 out of 5 of owners). One video I viewed of the Lenovo had the cracked screen change in 4 minutes.

Surface Pro motherboards are also commonly blowing 0 Ohm resisters that act like CPU fuses. There are several in the CPU area. When one blows the only way to fix it is to resolder the resister that is extremely tiny to the motherboard and very difficult due to the tiny size. The resisters act like a jumper. When this happens the unit is dead. Here is one being soldered in a YouTube video

I should also add that the HP i7 vs i5 quad core on the 1013 is closer to the same performance than the Surface Pro 6 edition that has more a marked performance increase from i5 to i7. Those doing detailed CPU benchmark tests on the HP 1013 G3 found it close enough (from i5 to i7) that it was not recommended to spend more money on the i7, could cost (i7) over $2000.00 though there have been some i7s on eBay for under 1000 used or refurbished.

I just looked up a performance comparison review HERE

WH