Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using lower manual of Crumar Mojo 61 as a controller

I've recently acquired a Crumar Mojo 61 along with the lower manual that Crumar sells as a companion piece. The lower manual doesn't have its own power supply: According to the manual, it's powered by the MIDI cable that connects it to the 61. (I don't understand how that's possible, but I don't understand much of anything.)

This got me wondering whether I can use the lower manual to control an external sound module of some sort. I'm thinking in particular of my old GEM RP-X, but, if that won't work, then something else. Does anyone know whether this would work? Has anyone done this successfully? Do I risk damaging the lower manual, or the sound module, or both, if, as an experiment, I simply connect the two via a MIDI cable and see what happens?

Thanks for any advice or guidance you might be able to provide.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a device that is designed to let you turn the Mojo61 Lower Manual into a standalone controller. I don't remember the details. Check Crumar's facebook page...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

They have a device that is designed to let you turn the Mojo61 Lower Manual into a standalone controller. I don't remember the details. Check Crumar's facebook page...?

It"s called an [url:https://www.gmlab.it/#projects]MJU[/url] (I haven"t done this myself)

[video:youtube]

Here for the gear.

Thanks. That's helpful . . . but also confusing. I saw the MJU on the Crumar/G.M. Lab web site, but didn't really understand the explanation provided there. The "Project Files" for the device are completely over my head. The video makes it appear as though the MSU is an "interface" between the keyboard and the Gemini Sound Module. So maybe it is the thing I'm looking for. I'll ask Crumar/ G.M. Labs directly. It's only $129 assembled: I hope it does what I'd like it to do.

More info at https://www.facebook.com/instruments.crumar/videos/1107123282829541/ -- check the video caption and also the comments on that post.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The MJU provides power over Midi so you can power the Mojo 61b. You just need to use a Midi cable with all 5 pins connected. The MJU sits between the Mojo61b and the Gemini. Guido told me you can request the MJU is loaded with the program to use Mojo61b as a controller when you order it. I've been considering this option for my Gemini. Add a D9U and you have a Mojo61 plus you still have the other DSP in the Gemini.A bit messy for gigs but good for studio and home use.

I can"t help but ask what would be the advantage of using the lower manual alone as a controller?

1. The upper manual can be a controller, already.

2. Paired, the lower can still be a controller while you have organ on the upper.

3. The lower manual alone needs external interface(s) to give you power and any control functionality, let alone a pedal.

4. The upper manual is 25 lb, smaller, and is easier to carry in a traditional bag.

No room for a salad bar, though.

:idk:

Here for the gear.

I can"t help but ask what would be the advantage of using the lower manual alone as a controller?

1. The upper manual can be a controller, already.

2. Paired, the lower can still be a controller while you have organ on the upper.

3. The lower manual alone needs external interface(s) to give you power and any control functionality, let alone a pedal.

4. The upper manual is 25 lb, smaller, and is easier to carry in a traditional bag.

No room for a salad bar, though.

:idk:

I'm using the Mojo 61 with lower manual mostly for straight ahead jazz organ trio stuff. But I'm thinking about expanding my palette by using the upper manual for organ, and then, via an external sound module, splitting the lower manual between bass sounds and other sounds -- pianos, pads, synth, whatever. I realize I could do this using a second keyboard, but that introduces its own set of complications. Just thought this might be worth a try, which is why I asked the question.

I'm using the Mojo 61 with lower manual mostly for straight ahead jazz organ trio stuff. But I'm thinking about expanding my palette by using the upper manual for organ, and then, via an external sound module, splitting the lower manual between bass sounds and other sounds -- pianos, pads, synth, whatever. I realize I could do this using a second keyboard, but that introduces its own set of complications. Just thought this might be worth a try, which is why I asked the question.

Okay, I had assumed from the original post that you were interested in using the lower manual as a stand-alone controller. But from the above post I think you are wanting to play an external module from the lower manual, while it"s connected to your Mojo61. That"s exactly what many of us are doing. In my case, the module is an iPad,

Check out the long Mojo 61 Review thread below. On Page 26 (by my prefs) there"s a discussion on how to set that up.

Hope this helps!

Here for the gear.

Okay, I had assumed from the original post that you were interested in using the lower manual as a stand-alone controller. But from the above post I think you are wanting to play an external module from the lower manual, while it"s connected to your Mojo61. That"s exactly what many of us are doing. In my case, the module is an iPad,

Check out the long Mojo 61 Review thread below. On Page 26 (by my prefs) there"s a discussion on how to set that up.

Hope this helps!

Exactly what I'm hoping to do. I'm going to look for your post now. Thanks!