Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way, Way, Way OT: Divorce

Our eyes of awareness have to open, so to speak, wider. And the number one place for increased awareness is our own selves.

I currently do not view myself as marriage material. I perceive too many things that would be a problem ( in me and in this woman I do not really understand ) for the hypothetical woman in my life.

After a divorce... I would put front and center, me, and my development. The development for me, means greater awareness.. to me, I , Mr Tee, aka John, is a bit of a mystery that requires a lot of self discipline. I do not trust that merely because my relationships have not gone as I naively hoped.. that that bittersweet after taste, has automatically made me wiser.. Not at all.

I do not trust myself in a relationship. So for me, it is learning how to be a better, more high functioning human being... which again means greater awareness.

When the young meet, and the sexual attraction is exerting strong influence.. and the biological urges in us to procreate ( aside from sex pleasure ) is no doubt present; we readily fall into the trap that this woman or man is what has been absent in my life.

That is an error, as the wiser among us know.

All this to say, be cautious, and make Math, as whole as can be.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the young meet, and the sexual attraction is exerting strong influence.. and the biological urges in us to procreate ( aside from sex pleasure ) is no doubt present...

All this to say, be cautious, and make Math, as whole as can be.

As in add recreational alcohol, subtract clothes, divide her legs, and multiply? :laugh:

• 1 year later...

Weird. I was google-searching the site for something I posted, and this thread came up. In so many ways it feels like a different lifetime. But also useful to have the time-capsule reminder, complete with date-stamps.

Between managing a difficult marriage and managing a difficult divorce, the latter is light years better. Like, inifinitely so. I have a relationship with my kids I could never have had while married to their mom. Is she still difficult? Holy cow yes. But the difference is that 50% of the time, I'm 100% of the kids' dad, and that would never have happened if we were still married.

Music has gotten way better. My health has gotten way better. I am starting to remember "who" I was before the dark years, and maybe most important, can be the dad I want my kids to have--something I definitely was not while struggling daily with my ex.

I spent a couple of years seeing if I could casually date alcohol, and finally decided she doesn't seem to be right for me. Whenever my last "break" was, it's been ongoing since then. No idea how long--maybe a year or more? Anyway, however long it's been, I just haven't found a compelling argument for starting again.

Forgive the side-track, it was just a little mind-f*ck when this thread popped up, and it's been enlightening to read back through it with the benefit of hindsight and distance.

How YOU doing, KC?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

But you're still a dick. ;)

Seriously, that's good to read. It seems like it has all worked out. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks gents.

Joe, that's inappropriate. The correct term is "doucho-American."

:facepalm: My bad, you jerk. Sorry!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 3 weeks later...
just my 2cents lol,...i guess im in the minority of what alot of females feel these days & im not judging anybody elses views, everyone has their own opinions,..but ..aw,.better not sayit lol. no , i will lol,...i think sexuality is way more important than people wanna admit,..especially women. ..(guys know it. ) dont kid yourself if you think its not at least #2 importance in a relationship/marriage,...(my opinion is its 1a in importance lol..)..marriages & relationships would be alot happier if alot of people got this.:) ...my opinion:)

Marriage is difficult. My wife was my best friend at work when we were 24 years old. We both were dating other people and both realized we liked being around each other way more than our partners. We dated and have been married now for 25 years.

I think the key really boils down to only two things: You have to laugh together. You need to put the other person's needs first. If both partners do that - it's still hard as hell - but it will work.

Drugs and alcohol definitely make things more difficult. I dumped alcohol around a decade ago for health reasons and things became so much clearer. At 50 now, I'd say about 75% of our long-time friends are divorced or going through the process. We know maybe one or two couples that have been married 20+ years and actually like each other. The rest of them are along for the ride - cheating, in it until the kids hit 18, or hopeless alcoholics.

And yes - sex is paramount. Whenever my wife tells me one of her married friends says "I'm not into sex. It's not important to me at all." I always think, no, what you meant to say was "I'm not into sex WITH MY SPOUSE."

Life is short. I commend those that got out and started living again.

MOI (the OP) would be the first to tell you he's the sexiest guy in Southern California. Don't test his modesty!

That is bullshit, and completely unfair.

I would never artificially limit my range to Southern California.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com