Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1st Gen Apex Stand Question

J. Dan

Some may recall I picked up a used stand for $80. The stand I've used for 15-20 years had the top Plastic flap break as well as the handle and cable holders. This one was in good shape, just missing the front floor adjustable support, longer lower tier arms, and mic boom adapter. So I bought it, transferred parts from my existing stand and made one complete stand.

Unfortunately I didn't test it until the gig tonight. For some reason, it leans back. The front adjustable stabilizer at it's lowest position won't touch the floor. The side legs obviously don't lay the same way as my other stand and the center post is further off the floor. I stacked 2 pink pen six erasers under the 3rd leg to try to prop it up and make my keys level and it was pretty close but I think still slanted back just a little. It's still in my car but I looked at the other stand to see if there was a leg adjustment I was unaware of, but it doesn't look like it. The stand seems in great shape compared to the one I've gigged for years and it seems like the legs are fully engaged. I don't get it. Any thoughts or insight? I guess worse case I can transfer all the good parts back over to my old column but I didn't want to have to swap Plastic end caps. Oh, and neither one has a rubber foot for the larger of the three legs. Any chance ultimate still sells them?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan, I suspect the spacer that allows the stand to be tilted further back/forward has gone missing. I took a picture of mine:

48736854841_8c408bb080_z.jpg

In the centre of the pic, you can see a triangular wedge, immediately under the orange sticker. With this in place, the stand is in a "conventional" position, and when you fit the arms in the clamps, they lie horizontal.

You can remove that wedge to increase the tilt of the stand. This is recommended for heavy keyboards. Of course, it has the effect of tilting the arms away from the horizontal - they now dip down away from you.

If that part is missing, it's worth contacting Ultimate to see if they can help with a spare part.

Cheers, Mike.