Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jimmy Smith holds a note for 3 minutes

cedar

Well, just under three minutes actually. But still cool!

Makes me wonder how many keys he could span with his right hand. Also, when I try such a maneuver, I usually hold a note with my pinky finger, since it's easier to play fluid lines with the other fingers.

The note hold starts at 4:06

[video:youtube]

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he's doubling pedals with his left hand.

Somewhere I read, it's more the other way around: LH bass, with pedal stabs for emphasis.

yes, he's mostly just tapping on the pedals usually

Wow, a whole nother technique I didn't even know about!

I'll have to try this at the gig today. I think I can do the thumb note hold thing. Oh, you mean I have to play other notes with the other fingers of my right hand?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

An observation and a personal opinion:

That's a young Billy Hart on drums. He went on to play in Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi band of the early 1970s. They were the more experimental (and electronic) group that preceded his breakout Headhunters band. Billy is active today. He's an acknowledged master and has played with just about everybody, including Miles, Stan Getz, McCoy Tyner, etc.

Regarding Quentin - no floor got wiped imo. He played a nice, relaxed, bluesy, greasy, in the pocket solo while Jimmy did a lot of pyrotechnics with the flurries of 16th notes that seems to get over a tad better with a lot of people. Not saying that's a bad thing, but in my observations it does tend to get over more with the general public at least. (And, playing jazz guitar on a Strat!)

Regarding Quentin - no floor got wiped imo. He played a nice, relaxed, bluesy, greasy, in the pocket solo while Jimmy did a lot of pyrotechnics with the flurries of 16th notes that seems to get over a tad better with a lot of people. Not saying that's a bad thing, but in my observations it does tend to get over more with the general public at least. (And, playing jazz guitar on a Strat!)

Man, that is for sure. I thought I was the only one.

Here for the gear.