Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil Flash Play

felis

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The RO in ROM stands for read-only. Flash memory is rewritable.

ROM is accessed "in place." Some kind of flash works that way, but more often, the contents of flash must be copied into RAM to actually use it. In that case, the amount of it you can access seamlessly is limited by the amount of RAM in the system, unless there is some kind of "streaming" implementation that allows for continuous swapping of data between storage and live memory. Typically, that has require a computer (MacOS, Windows, Linux can all do this). My understanding is that flashplay does this as well, without all the other processing/cost/boot time overhead of a computer-based OS. But maybe someone else can give you a more definitive answer.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

16 GB sample capacity with zero-loading time. The flashplay contains the internal soundset for the Forte pianos, EPs, clav, orchestral stuff and a pretty generous helping of PC3 and KORE 64 sounds.

There is 3.3GB available for your own samples into flash memory. Supported sample formats: .WAV, .AIF (up to 16 bit / 96kHz) and Kurzweil formats (.P3K, .KRZ, .K25, .K26).

It's no secret on the Keyboard Corner that I love the Forte 7. I currently use Busch's soundset collection - Purgatory Creek - and I think his collection and incredibly well sampled collection gives Forte a VERY high quality Rhodes MK1, Wurlitzer 140b and 200a, Clav and Pianet that surpass the depth and accuracy of the other red brand. I also have a conversion of the Nord Italian Grand Fazioli sample set in my Forte 7 as well.

Among the other soundsets that have performed stellar in the Forte 7 Flashplay are the Scarbee Rhodes which have been converted and transform the Forte into a Rhodes centric playing experience. (alternative to the Crumar Seven, perhaps)

If you're interested in the Kurzweil Forte or researching, I highly recommend talking to David Weiser of Weisersounds who is a world class sound designer for professional tours and productions. He has created an incredibly useful and valuable soundset for the Forte with presets that not only nail signature vintage sounds, but he has gig piano eq'ing that are my go tos, especially on the 7 foot Yamaha.

I've written at length about the quality of the sounds in this setup and that I like the action on Forte in this size over the alternatives that use TP/100 for lighter weight in a 76/73 key size. With all of the things you can do with VAST, the additions of FM synthesis in 4.0, the addition of a sequencer in 3.0, the quality and number of sliders and knobs, flexbility of splits, layers, MIDI control this is a pretty great instrument.

The two things I don't really love about it have solutions as well. The KB3 organ engine is barely ok, but the Leslie sim is weak, so you can route a dedicated output for organ and use a Vent. The second thing is that the screen leaves a lot to be desired, but they have a good iPad app for deep editing, so if you have an iPad, you have a 10inch or larger touchscreen. These are both first world problems for sure that are easily solved.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries