Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Krome Power Inlet/Jack Damaged??

Hi,

Since purchasing my Krome a few weeks ago, I have had intermittent issues with getting it to power on. It seems that I have to get the power adapter inserted "just right" or nothing will work. Also at the slightest touch it will shut the keyboard off. I am using the hook for the cable as detailed in the manual. I know that people had issues with the power supply itself seeming flimsy, which it sort of is, but not as bad as I expected. When I took it out of its case today and went to plug it in, I realized that the actual pin in the center of the jack is bent downwards. I had to pry it back up and even then once I plugged the end of the adapter in, it was VERY difficult to get it to connect to the pin. It does not fit well at all, and I have to make a conscious effort not to bend it. Is this normal????

It never occurred to me to check the power inlet before buying.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found something weird. The replacement parts sold online do not look the same as the dc jack on my Krome. This one from Syntaur has a second black plastic tube inside the first, but the jack on my Krome has only the outer tube, and then a really tiny bare wire sticking out in the center, which is not straight.

I have never forced it or anything. The wire is approximately half the size of a standard 12-volt DC jack wire too.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Hmm... it would seem that the plastic piece is stuck in the plug and broken off from the jack. Thats why there is only a bare wire sticking out and the plug itself has only a very tiny hole in it the circumference of a pin. So the previous guy broke the inner ring off. :mad:

I have one more week of returns left, so I will have to see whether it is cheaper to replace the part and the adapter both since both are damaged, or return it with the restocking fee and all that.

Does that make sense? I cant post pictures because the two good cameras died last week.

I have one more week of returns left, so I will have to see whether it is cheaper to replace the part and the adapter both since both are damaged, or return it with the restocking fee and all that.

Max I would return the thing and get a refund or another Krome. Based on your description it sounds like yours has been damaged at some point before it got to you. I've had mine for years and it's played countless gigs and rehearsals; I've had a power supply fail on me but nothing even approaching the issues you're describing.

Yup, Ive had mine for two years and replaced the PSU about two months ago. I dont hook the wire through the little hook anymore, as it frays quickly.

Like CNQ said, just return it. It sounds like its gonna have to be professionally serviced, and that could get expensive really quick.

If you wanna buy mine, PM me! :D

I dont hook the wire through the little hook anymore, as it frays quickly.

Yeah Menno I've never used that - never liked the design of it, which is a shame as it's a good idea.

I just make sure the wire isn't holding any tension from the brick - seems to work OK. I always carry a spare PSU.

I learned the hard way, I did use the little hook for a few months and noticed it totally frayed the cable to the point where the inner wire was exposed.

The original PSU has another design flaw: with the Krome on the top-tier in standing position, the cable is too short and the brick dangles about 3 above the floor. Thankfully the replacement PSU doesnt do this.

Oh man, that's a nightmare. Luckily I didn't have to confront that issue - the length on my original was fine. Maybe something to do with the different countries - dunno.

Regardless, my PSU packed it in after about three years, like yours did. I've had my Krome for about 5 years now.

• 2 months later...

Hmm, guess I never followed up on this. I brought it back to the Music Go Round where I purchased it. Since it was within their 30-day warranty, they said they would fix the problem. After three weeks or so they said they had it fixed, but the guy who talked to me on the phone seemed a little unsure about exactly what had been done. When I got there to look at it, it turned out that while they had removed the plastic piece from inside the plug end, they had NOT replaced the DC jack. So, I of course wasn't too happy. They were very willing to try to fix that piece too. So we pulled up Syntaur, and they were going to order a part that evening. I got a call in a couple days saying that they had checked with the official Korg parts distributor, and that part (the DC jack) was out of stock, and they would be expecting a shipment some time in the next few weeks. Music Go Round checked at Syntaur and a few other parts suppliers, but all of them had that part out of stock. Two weeks later, I got another call. The official distributor had not received their shipment, apparently did not know why, and had someone looking into it. Parts still out of stock everywhere else too. Music Go Round offered to replace the jack with one from another used Korg that had died, but I turned them down, as I don't trust the longevity of a used one for sure. Another week went by, and then I got a call, that the shipment had come in, and Korg was going to ship the part out to Music Go Round within the next week. They said they would call me when it was ready. A week or so later, I got the call that the Krome was all repaired. That Sunday I went down there to see, and yes indeed, it was all repaired with a fresh new DC jack. They didn't replace the adapter, only removed the piece, but I can always get another one should that prove to be an issue. So far, no problems at all. One gig and a rehearsal so far. All through the 2 month or so period, the manager would call around twice a week to update me on the progress or lack of such, and would call anytime he heard something. Great customer service. It's not their fault that Korg had no parts in stock and the shipment was delayed.

Overall, props to Music Go Round Duluth for staying on top of it and doing a good job once things were communicated correctly. The repair was free as well.

• 11 months later...

So today my PSU died again. This was my second official Korg KA-320 adapter to fail on me, just before the gig, too. Miraculously, a saxplayer friend lived two blocks away from the gig, happened to have the Krome, and graciously let me use his adapter for the night.

I"m done with this. I have a generic (non-Korg) spare I got off Amazon and ordered two more, but I"ll never buy that KA-320 again. Garbage.

I have a generic (non-Korg) spare I got off Amazon and ordered two more...

I think this is a good policy, Menno. I always carry at least one spare PSU for each keyboard I gig with. I"ve had the Krome since 2013, still gig with it regularly and am on my second PSU.