Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland Fantom

gino

to expensive....nice ax though.

yes, $4000 is a lot of money. Initially.

and also right in line with other top of line boards. Fantom-8, Montage 8, Forte 88, are all $4k. Kronos a little less at $3800, Nord Stage 3 88 higher at $4500.

And assuming you could get the sounds you need from any of them, I'd say the Roland approaches Nord in control surface (even better in some ways), without bringing along Nord's substantial limitations in things like split/layer and MIDI flexibility. I think it's a nice step toward a worthwhile goal of workstation-like depth with Nord-style operational ergonomics. (Too bad they can't compete in travel weight, though.)

The travel weight put me off rather quickly. Love my RD-2000, but if I could condense that, my JP50 and XV-5080 into a single 88 I could save a bunch a space and have a stage piano replication of the RD with a lot of additional synth capability (among other things, such as the sample pads). But 61 lbs vs the 48 of the RD2000? Nada..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My understanding is that the sequencer is a phrase-based one, limited to 32 measures per section, then eight sections per track? Basically Pattern Mode on the Motif series then. Just a simple linear sequencer would be nice.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The only thing I can say is that a player can make sections repeat or have a similar section that is shorter than the previous one of less than 32 to complete the phrase. The Roland Rep said the synth could be Linear, pattern based, or phrase based. I don't know if what he said was true, or if I didn't pay close enough attention to how he said it.

I do classic rock covers and have been using a Motif ES8 since that synth came out and I never ran out of space or measures on the Yamaha.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

AnotherScott echoed my thoughts... the F8's beefy 61 lbs. make it hard to justify gigging with it (seems like it's meant for the studio or burly roadies of a major act) & not sure if the F7 "weighted action" will cut it for APs or would you have to do some serious adapting? It does seem to be an all in one board for gigs & I feel this is the NS3 slayer except for the weight.

Still wanting one but justifying the price is a slippery slope for me. Good news is according to Ed Diaz SN are on the way...

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

AnotherScott echoed my thoughts... the F8's beefy 61 lbs. make it hard to justify gigging with it (seems like it's meant for the studio or burly roadies of a major act) & not sure if the F7 "weighted action" will cut it for APs or would you have to do some serious adapting? It does seem to be an all in one board for gigs & I feel this is the NS3 slayer except for the weight.

Still wanting one but justifying the price is a slippery slope for me. Good news is according to Ed Diaz SN are on the way...

yes, the F8 is 61 lbs..... but that's actually lighter than it's predecessor, the G8 that came in in the 70lb area. Lot of people around here (Texas) gig with the X8 and G8

Heck, the Motif XF8 is almost 62lbs....and those are all over the gigging world around here.

I agree it's heavy and not for everyone, including me. However, this isn't a new thing for high end 88note workstations.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Stop being a bunch of girlie men. The Kronos 2-88 and Montage-8 are heavy also. If I I can do it anyone can. ððð

You need to 'Pump you up". ð¥©ð¥©ð¥©ðï¸ââï¸ðï¸ââï¸ðï¸ââï¸ðªðªðª

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

This guy likes to carry TWO Fantom 8's in hard SKB cases up two flights of stairs using only one arm.

Complains that the Fantom 8 isn't heavy enough for him. Carries a subwoofer in the other hand for his bandmates.

#GymGoals

208.thumb.png.f7fca33d43e418eb9288418aa22d60ee.png

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I find it interesting.

folks can purchase a heavy $3000- $4000 keyboard and spend maybe $10,000 on a rig

I would go the extra mile and hire a roadie. Likely worth the $50 or more for a night

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I always needed a bodyguard more than a roadie. Someone to be on the lookout when loading out, and loading back into my house in the middle of the night.

I agree. Its no diff in my area. Would have a g/f or buddy with a cell phone keeping watch.

And in the crowd

In addition to the muscle

[70's Songwriter]

Had a brief encounter with the F8 just now. Looks like there"s a bit of a learning curve (zones/scenes/tones), it"s different from the Rolands of yore.

Soundwise, it feels hifi and up to date, while retaining that Roland character.

I want to have a better idea of the architecture and possibilities before I take the plunge, but it would take something major to hold me back, I think.

Had a brief encounter with the F8 just now. Looks like there"s a bit of a learning curve (zones/scenes/tones), it"s different from the Rolands of yore.

I want to have a better idea of the architecture and possibilities before I take the plunge, but it would take something major to hold me back, I think.

Stop these positive stories I cannot afford one of these damn things :D

Stop these positive stories I cannot afford one of these damn things :D

. THIS!

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I always needed a bodyguard more than a roadie. Someone to be on the lookout when loading out, and loading back into my house in the middle of the night.

I agree. Its no diff in my area. Would have a g/f or buddy with a cell phone keeping watch.

And in the crowd

In addition to the muscle

This one of the things, among many, I enjoy about the Biker gigs we do. They totally take care of you, prospects are your roadies and security. And they"re really cool to everyone in the band.

We have a good relationship with a couple clubs here and we play about 2 shows a year.

David

Let me add some context: I didn't spend much time with the bread and butter sounds (piano, EP, organ, clav, gtr, etc.) but what little I played didn't impress me much. Serviceable, but a bit déja vu.

I was mostly interested in the synth stuff; you know, Roland's pads, synthleads, bell-like sounds etc. They have traditionally excelled at that, and my first impression is that the new Fantom has it in spades, and it seems there's plenty of new flavors to discover and savor.

Was lucky enough to spend some time with this (the 61 key version) last night & today, along with a brief run on the Jupiter Xm.

My comment to those in attendance was that this was the first Roland keyboard in at least a decade where I sat down and played and wondered if Eric Persing had been involved in the design/sound creation for it.

Other "damn, I want this" moments: the integration between Mainstage's Smart Controls and the Fantom display :o and the Ableton-like scene/clip capability.

Still a few things that could be improved, and likely will, but overall my reaction was that this was a damn sexy beast, and I wish robbing a bank was easier. ;)

Shots definitely fired over (or perhaps through) the bow of the Kronos, here. :2thu:

Other "damn, I want this" moments: the integration between Mainstage's Smart Controls and the Fantom display :o and the Ableton-like scene/clip capability.

:thu:

Like I mentioned above..... when I saw that in the video demo, my GAS went full...ugh....

David

W

Still a few things that could be improved, and likely will, but overall my reaction was that this was a damn sexy beast, and I wish robbing a bank was easier. ;)

Shots definitely fired over (or perhaps through) the bow of the Kronos, here. :2thu:

hah. By now, Korg can see there is mo money to be made on a new concept board. If they have the

R & D talent, we should see something, assuming they have it Project Planned and funded.

Why rob a bank and mess up ? Finding a woman [ GF or wifey} with money is less risky.

You can thank me next year ;)

[70's Songwriter]

I've seem some of the beter demo video's, and apart from "look at the remote screen" stuff it's interesting the Vpiano is convincingly in there (to a point ?) and there's the possibility of letting some stuff actually sound a bit. Not overly accurate, and I don't think it can replace all kinds of individual sounds, but it's a fun Roland, with some expression power, isn't it ?

T

I've seem some of the beter demo video's, and apart from "look at the remote screen" stuff it's interesting the Vpiano is convincingly in there (to a point ?) and there's the possibility of letting some stuff actually sound a bit. Not overly accurate, and I don't think it can replace all kinds of individual sounds, but it's a fun Roland, with some expression power, isn't it ?

T

yes ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Tried the Fantom 8 today in-store. Great key action, actual RD-2000 quality, which I dearly prefer to Nord or Yamaha CP88.

But this thing is huge and, apart from the top, not sexy. The red part looks very plasticky and it seems the bottom is MDF, not metal.

All-in-all, it's too big and unwieldy. Roland used slopes and edges on the back and front of the RD-2000 to give it a sleeker look, but there's nothing sleek about the Fantom 8. It just looks too vast. I think I'll wait for the next Kronos. If ever.

But those sounds are really good ...

Tried the Fantom 8 today in-store. Great key action, actual RD-2000 quality, which I dearly prefer to Nord or Yamaha CP88.

But this thing is huge and, apart from the top, not sexy. The red part looks very plasticky and it seems the bottom is MDF, not metal.

All-in-all, it's too big and unwieldy. Roland used slopes and edges on the back and front of the RD-2000 to give it a sleeker look, but there's nothing sleek about the Fantom 8. It just looks too vast. I think I'll wait for the next Kronos. If ever.

But those sounds are really good ...

I take it you gig, so thats a factor behind your concerns

As a home studio person, the big 88 thing is a non issue.

My cats love the V-Piano. They say its better than my Kronos AP's

[70's Songwriter]

Even worse: I visited the store today with my wife. Wrong decision if I ever made one.

So now I"m thinking Fantom 6 or 7 as they both measure 4cm less in depth and 5cm less in height compared to Fantom 8.

But then I miss that great PHA-50 action (with aftertouch) for the V-Piano.

Pretty unique to have a workstation with such amazing piano keys.

Yup, I have a RD-2000 & the PHA5 escapement action was a huge selling point for me but at 49 lbs. its a monster to lug around to gigs so it's a home practice board... even got one for our church. With the V-piano on the F7 if you don't have that hammer action just isn't the same but honestly I think the CP88 come very close to the PHA5.IMHO
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.