Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer announces its MS-20 clone, the K-2

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's the Borg down, now where are the Boberheim, Bequential, and Barp?

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

The MS-20 is such a tidy little synth, I'm surprised that we haven't seen more emulations. I got to play the real thing in a setup and its a very sneaky Swiss Army knife that could tempt you to go for a larger modular. I have mixed feelings about a few of Behringer's zig-zags, but you know what prices for real vintage synths are like. If someone who could never drop such bucks can have the same experience with a decent clone, its hard to argue against it. I'm a workstation/DAW guy who considers patch cords to mostly be the work of tiny demons, but oddly, I wish this synth particularly well. I know that a great secret weapon it is.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Well, that's the Borg down, now where are the Boberheim, Bequential, and Barp?

Not to mention the Boland, Baldorf, Bord, Bamaha, Bynclavier and Bairlight. :D

I guess the Bellotron can't be far behind ....

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

• 3 weeks later...

It actually sounds really good.

I"m surprised, as my first synth was the baby brother MS-10, which I bought new back in 1981.

It sounded anemic unless a ton of effects were added.

I might actually buy one of these...

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I really like the way Behringer does their demos like this... listing the points of the various sounds they demo, right there in the screen.

I've seen that on other demo vids. For the impatient folks out there... :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Anybody notice that the price of the Model D has been significantly reduced? List is now $299 and some sellers have it as low as $223.99. I think I would wait on the K2 and see if a similar price reduction happens several months down the road.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Anybody play much with the MS-20 engine in the Kronos? This video sounds awesome and just wondering if I could coax those sounds out of the Kronos. I think I use that engine on like 1 song.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

For these little units without keybeds, does anyone have an elegant solution of securely attacking a keyboard to it for gigging? They look really perfect for studio use, but I'd hate to take it to the stage as it would be a right pain to setup. Do people just take a board, and velcro it and a keyboard to it to create a permeant fixture? I'm really ignorant about the whole standalone synth thing.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

For these little units without keybeds, does anyone have an elegant solution of securely attacking a keyboard to it for gigging? They look really perfect for studio use, but I'd hate to take it to the stage as it would be a right pain to setup. Do people just take a board, and velcro it and a keyboard to it to create a permeant fixture? I'm really ignorant about the whole standalone synth thing.

When I used p.ex. Behringer Model D and K2,- I´d put ´em in a eurorack powering both and put that rack in a custom flightcase where you just only remove the front lid.

In opposite to Model D, K2´s USB connector is on the rear only,- a mistake IMO ...

So,- additional rear panel connectors,- lo (or hi) audio-out on Model D and USB on K2,- should go to the front too.

This will need a modded blind panel for eurorack w/ p.ex. Neutrik D-norm USB and audio connectors.

When you´re fine w/ just only 3/8" audio outs and don´t use USB, that additional panel won´t be necessary.

But because of lack of memory, all these devices seem to be better for studio work and not so much for live gigging.

OTOH, it depends on the gig/ music style ...

A.C.

I'd be down with an old-school, preset-less mono synth on stage. I feel like I could probably dial in most basic leads and pads pretty quickly at this point. Not so concerned about it being perfect. That said, for my money gigs, I play a LOT more 80s poly-synth stuff, so I'd be better off with a Prophet or Oberheim anyway. I don't really have a lot of spare change right now, summer travel kinda emptied my bank account, but I was thinking it might be nice to have a simple mono synth for leads. I put velcro on my Mojo61 to put my Seaboard Rise, but I don't use the Rise for my money gigs (I use a Seaboard Block wirelessly), so I could use the velcro to throw up a mono synth and controller. Not really interesting in studio use. A buddy of mine has a Sub37 that I can borrow at a moments notice for recording.

I'm still confused about how to attach a keybed, and what I would get.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?