Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cymbalom

marino

Ok, a little help please. The matter is quite simple, but it requires a bit of an explanation. :)

I used to have a Roland XP-80 with four expansion boards; among them, my favorite was the SR-JV80-05, "World" - and one of my favorite patches was 146 (C32), "Cymbalom". Cymbalom is the Hungarian name for the big hammer dulcimer which is widespread in all the balkan countries, and one of my absolute favorite instruments in the world.

I don't have the XP-80, anymore, but I have an Integra-7; since the Integra has all the SRX boards inside, and since I knew that the SRX-09 card is an aggregate of three JV boards (World, Asia, and Latin), I was pretty sure to find the "Cymbalon" patch there.

But when I opened the list of patches for the SRX-09 board, I discovered that the SRX-09 did NOT have all the patches from the "World" card. And sure enough, "Cymbalon" was among the victims.

Now, I have had a look at the waveform list for the JV board, and there is no wave called Cymbalom - so I'm hopeful that that patch was made combining samples from other instruments. It was mastefully, done, though; both the sound and playability were great.

I could recreate something quite similar by memory, and experimenting with various waveforms - but it would be a bit tedious and time-consuming. There are dozens of similar waves on the SRX card!

Sooooo.... in case some kind soul still has the SR-JV80-05 "World" board installed somewhere, and could check any parameter that could help me rebuild the "Cymbalon" patch on my Integra - how many tones, names of waveform used, tone balance, filters, etc. - I'd be very, very, very grateful.

(The irony is that I still *have* a "World" board, but no instrument in which to install it. And buying a whole instrument just for checking the parameters of one sound doesn't sound right)

Many thanks in advance to anybody who could help!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a number of SR-JV expansion boards, but I don't recall if I ever picked up the World board. I'll check when I get home.

Marino, let us know if Keyboardwizz's suggestion answers your question, otherwise I'll pop back and see if I can help or not.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Here it is...well, not all of it, but the basics of it

"Cymbalon" from the World expansion card in my JV-1080:

Tone 1: Wav: 012 HmrDulcimer Fine tune: -5 Level: 95 LPF: 95 Res: 0

Tone 2: Wav: 011 Zither C Fine tune: +5 Level: 46 LPF: 71 Res: 0

Tone 3: Wav: 014 Yangchin Fine tune: 0 Level: 127 LPF: 64 Res: 0

Tone 4: Wav: 011 HmrDulcimer Fine tune: 0 Level: 127 LPF: 90 Res: 0 (Tone 4 is off by default)

Happy menu diving!

Thanks for the help so far.

You answered your own question, on the SRX board the patch is called 'HamrDulcimer' patch 090...

Thank you. However, I checked, and i'm pretty sure that it's not that sound. Same sound family - but "HamrDulcimer" is present on the JV board too (patch 145), and it's quite a bit duller/darker than "Cymbalom". The two "Santur" presets of the SRX-09 in the same instrument group came closer, and I could use those - but still not the same sound. That Cymbalon patch had a magic quality, and I wanted to use it in an arrangement. That's how I discovered that it wasn't in the Integra...

I have a number of SR-JV expansion boards, but I don't recall if I ever picked up the World board. I'll check when I get home.

Marino, let us know if Keyboardwizz's suggestion answers your question, otherwise I'll pop back and see if I can help or not.

I'd be really, really grateful if you'd find the time. I have also asked around, to see if I could find someone with a Roland instrument old enough to accept JV boards, but no luck so far. (the idea, of course, would be to install my JV World board into it, and check the parameters from there)

Here it is...well, not all of it, but the basics of it

"Cymbalon" from the World expansion card in my JV-1080:

Tone 1: Wav: 012 HmrDulcimer Fine tune: -5 Level: 95 LPF: 95 Res: 0

Tone 2: Wav: 011 Zither C Fine tune: +5 Level: 46 LPF: 71 Res: 0

Tone 3: Wav: 014 Yangchin Fine tune: 0 Level: 127 LPF: 64 Res: 0

Tone 4: Wav: 011 HmrDulcimer Fine tune: 0 Level: 127 LPF: 90 Res: 0 (Tone 4 is off by default)

Happy menu diving!

Wow!! We posted at the same time..... a big THANK YOU!!

It will be a chance to dive into Integra-7 programming, if nothing else. :D :D

Thanks again!! :2thu: :2thu:

Yes, the terminology can get a bit confusing, but it sounds like you figured it out relative to the sound sources in question.

I too am a huge fan of the larger Cymablum used in the Balkans and also in Hungary. It features prominently in Harry Janos. It's a very different sound to the tinnier and smaller folk instrument referred to as the Hammered Dulcimer in the USA. Many consider it one of the ancestors of the Grand Piano, as they were getting bigger and required more than one player so someone had the idea of attaching a keyboard to make it less unwieldy.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager