Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Many Are Psyched About Star Wars 9?

Disney really has to shake off the "Disney movie" aura, and go out of their way to do so. That will give it some dramatic heft, which 7 and 8 didn't have, at least IMHO. I still consider them remixes of previous Star Wars episodes...if 9 is to succeed, it needs to feel fresh. And if Abrams pulls that off, I predict 9 will be the biggest-grossing Star Wars movie ever, because it won't try to be all things to all people. Paradoxically, that will make it all things to all people :)

But, I do hope they get the music right. I still think the biggest problem with Solo was the music, not the CGI or the acting. Given all the accounts of dissension and rewrites, and because music tends to get shoved to the end of the process, I suspect they tried to graft music intended for a different story on to what ended up being the story line...hence the massive disconnect.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I hope your right. I think it was the second to last one, I literately fell asleep in the movie theater LOL. On Christmas day. My own snoring woke me up LOL. It was at the scene of the girl waiting for Luke to come with her, and she refuses to leave till he does. I think anything Disney had to do with this movie, was just a massacre. They should of never touched it. It had a George Lucas signature to it. Even if you didnt like him, I could tell its not his work. Kind of like switching band mates LOL.
Instrumental Rock, is the only way to go

Honestly I hope your right. I think it was the second to last one, I literately fell asleep in the movie theater LOL. On Christmas day. My own snoring woke me up LOL. It was at the scene of the girl waiting for Luke to come with her, and she refuses to leave till he does. I think anything Disney had to do with this movie, was just a massacre. They should of never touched it. It had a George Lucas signature to it. Even if you didnt like him, I could tell its not his work. Kind of like switching band mates LOL.

When you leave J. J. Abrams to his own devices, he produces taut, thrilling movies. I think his rebooting of the Star Trek franchise worked well, and what he's done for the Mission Impossible movies is incredible. But Star Wars is in an interesting place. Lucas originally saw it as pretty much a modern-day fable, and very much for kids - but that adults could dig from the sci-fi aspect. Empire Strikes Back changed that dynamic, and Lucas's prequels - which had deeply political subplots that not a lot of people seem to have noticed - had a different direction as well.

The new movies were given an impossible task - appeal to the people (now many decades older) who loved the original Star Wars movie; appeal to a new generation of moviegoers; retain "traditional" elements to satisfy a rabid fan base; strike out in new directions; be politically correct; and do all this while making a sh*t ton of money. So we'll see what happens.

I think if those responsible for episode 9 just concentrate on making a good movie and to hell with people's expectations, it will work. But if it's another movie that's all about a dysfunctional family tree and blowing up a Big Thing before it blows up everything else, it won't end the series on a satisfying note.

There are a LOT of expectations they set up with this series (Who was Snoke and where did he come from? How is the Emperor back? Who is Rey?) and some they have to deal with (How will they handle Carrie Fisher/Princess Leia since she was supposed to be a focus of this movie with the other two principals dead).

That said, I mostly liked 8 and didn't have the issues the others seemed to have. I try not to read all the stuff on fan sites because I'm really tired of all the speculation, like Abrams will retcon 8. I think that would be stupid. I try to go to movies with an open mind and let them be what they are. If it's fun, it's fun. That's what I'm there for, to have fun with a good story.

But if it's another movie that's all about a dysfunctional family tree

You know that Star Wars is about how the Skywalkers keep fucking up the galaxy, right? ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...
I'm too exhausted from "Avengers: Endgame" to give a titanium rat's over it. I have fanboy fatigue. I recommend "Green Book," "The Mule" and "The Old Man and the Gun" as good remedies to this for ADULTS!

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I tell you what else bothers me. Abrams doing both Star Wars and Star Trek. Split focus. Split ideas. Cannot give 100 percent to both. Come up with a great idea, then have to decide which franchise gets it.

He pretty much stopped working on Trek when he started on Star Wars. If anything, Trek suffered from his lack of involvement.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI