Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neo Minivent, or Roland VR 730 ??

Yeh. The RD was picked up to learn "proper" piano. Must be 88 note weighted. I also HATE the Nord keybeds. They are truly awful. The only exception is the Waterfalls on the Electros.

Also doesnt really help - I dont want to play synth - ie the Novation Peak - from a weighted board. I need to play if from a semi/synth/waterfall board. The setup your suggesting still only gives the electro as the non hammer action. The electro doesnt have the midi control versatility (cant change midi tx channels per patch, or assign tx channels to buttons etc) . Thats why Im not considering an Electro 6d 73 as well as the VR730.

The VR730 transmits upper manual, lower manual, and pedal manual information on separate midi channels - and the important bit, allows you to change which channels they are on a patch by patch basis.

That means I can save a "quiet" patch on the VR with the midi TX Chanel for the upper manual set to (say) midi channel 8 and set the peak to receive on 8. That means I play peak with no sound from the VR - BUT I can layer if I wish. Alternatively for patches I dont want the peak on I can save the Midi tx channel to default (4 for the upper manual) and the Peak wont respond.

To do that with a Nord Id have to go to the stage 3. Way too much money just for a slightly better organ.

Roland RD2000, FA07 (soon to be Fantom7), Legend EXP, Peak, Virus Ti2 Desktop.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that Guido might be offering VB3 in a module. This could be your solution. Here's a prototype. Be patient:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/51910943_957107537816402_5202425797528256512_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=57a21c9f681f84673c4e9c6df4d3bfd2&oe=5CEDFE65

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yeh. The RD was picked up to learn "proper" piano. Must be 88 note weighted. I also HATE the Nord keybeds. They are truly awful. The only exception is the Waterfalls on the Electros.

Also doesnt really help - I dont want to play synth - ie the Novation Peak - from a weighted board. I need to play if from a semi/synth/waterfall board. The setup your suggesting still only gives the electro as the non hammer action. The electro doesnt have the midi control versatility (cant change midi tx channels per patch, or assign tx channels to buttons etc) . Thats why Im not considering an Electro 6d 73 as well as the VR730.

The VR730 transmits upper manual, lower manual, and pedal manual information on separate midi channels - and the important bit, allows you to change which channels they are on a patch by patch basis.

That means I can save a "quiet" patch on the VR with the midi TX Chanel for the upper manual set to (say) midi channel 8 and set the peak to receive on 8. That means I play peak with no sound from the VR - BUT I can layer if I wish. Alternatively for patches I dont want the peak on I can save the Midi tx channel to default (4 for the upper manual) and the Peak wont respond.

To do that with a Nord Id have to go to the stage 3. Way too much money just for a slightly better organ.

But with the Stage 3 you don't need to control your "Peak" - as it has a built in VA synth. Nord Stage 3 Compact can solve all your problems.

It appears that Guido might be offering VB3 in a module. This could be your solution. Here's a prototype. Be patient:

It's a controller only.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 6 months later...

OK, I will revive this thread from February.

I am considering a trade offer that I received of my Roland FA-07 for another person's VR-730 for a change of scenery. They are priced about the same and do different things but a lot of the same things for my purposes.

I'm most curious to know if the bread and butter sounds - acoustic piano and electric pianos are any different between these two instruments? Do the FA-07 and VR-730 have identical sounds for the grand pianos and rhodes, clav, wurly, etc. or is one better than the other in these categories? Am I gaining or losing anything between the FA-07 and the VR-730 in the grand piano/rhodes/clav/wurly categories?

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Am I gaining or losing anything between the FA-07 and the VR-730 in the grand piano/rhodes/clav/wurly categories?

It can be subjective, but FA should be better at those particular sounds. FA has only a handful of SuperNatural Acoustic tones (which employ modeling), but they happen to include everything you're asking about (piano, EPs, clav), none of which is SuperNatural in the VR730. Also acoustic guitar, basses, and ensemble strings. Those sounds will be different from what's in the VR730 which does not have SN versions of any of them. The SN synth capabilities of the two boards are the same, though. As for other acoustic instruments, VR730 would have the edge, as I believe its other sounds are from a later Fantom generation compared to the XV-5080 sounds of the FA. But that won't help if those aren't the sounds you care about...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Also worth noting, though, that the organ on the VR is much better than the organ on the FA.

The FA organ model not having CV or drawbar adjustability is the weakest link here, but it's also pretty lame that Roland doesn't have a modeled organ with these controls in their $4,000 new Fantom either.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

The FA organ model not having CV or drawbar adjustability is the weakest link here

Yes, and also weak rotary+overdrive, but at least the assignable out lets you add a pedal for that.

but it's also pretty lame that Roland doesn't have a modeled organ with these controls in their $4,000 new Fantom either.

Yes... even though Scott Tibbs said you can use the sliders as drawbars (unclear if there's any way to use all 9 or just the obviously reassignable 8), I am not entirely optimistic about its organ capabilities. An update could add an organ model, but it's an open question as to whether it would have to operate within (what I believe is) the existing single-MFXeffect-per-sound architecture (which I think is why the FA can't do C/V and a good rotary and a good overdrive all at the same time). The VR takes a very different approach, it lets you gang up multiple effects on a single sound, but the trade-off there is that you can't simultaneously put different effects on different sounds (your two sounds of a split or layer can't have different effects on them). To do that on the Fantom would presumably require a whole separate, dedicated operational mode for the organ model (kind of along the lines of what Kurzweil does with their KB3 organ engine, which to some extent behaves under its own set of rules apart from all the other sounds). It's not impossible... the V-Piano seems to somewhat live in its own world. But we'll see.

The FA organ model not having CV or drawbar adjustability is the weakest link here, but it's also pretty lame that Roland doesn't have a modeled organ with these controls in their $4,000 new Fantom either.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm trying to sell my VR-730 to Jeff or anyone else. It's in the classifieds.

Me and Jeff have PM'd a few times. The below passage is part of my discussion with him. Obviously its not a hard sell, just some of my honest thoughts and experiences with the 730, the NE4 73sw, The Vent, etc:

I've never had the FA7, but I bought the 730 because I've always loved the Roland acoustic and electric pianos, and I like the fact that the 730 has real drawbars and a good B3 tone.

When I bought it, I already had a Nord Electro 4 73sw that I used with a Vent. I figured I couldn't go wrong--I'd determine which one I loved more for gigs, and use the other for practice in my office.

Here's the deal: Every clonewheel organ sounds GREAT/BETTER with a Vent. I think the internal sims of the nord and the 730 are similar as far as how good they are. It's subjective. The 730 allows for more tweaking.

Why did I choose the nord over the 730 for live? The nord allows you to separate the left and right outputs, essentially 2 separate mono signals---all the organs know to go left into the Vent and into channel one of my amp. Everything else goes right and into channel 2. No need to ever use BYPASS on the Vent---no need for a mixer. These are both huge deals for me on gigs. I use only one board on the gigs. The 730 doesn't have that feature.

If you want to use one board, no extra pedals, no mixers,the 730 is the way to go. BTW, I did demo the 730 with the Vent---its unbelievable. If you can pick up an original/V.1 used for 300, do it.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90