Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cities to make a living as a player, 2019 edition

I think it would be easier to find a rich woman who loves music.
I'm lookin', I'm lookin'

Union Square ? Pacific Heights ?
Woodside. Portola Valley. Hillsborough.

Don't overlook San Mateo. 2 of my EX's have my house ;)

Nordstroms is where they hang out

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Netherlands [ Amsterdam] is calling.

The cold weather is a problem. Maybe global warming will solve that ;)

There is almost no musician who can only live from playing here. Almost all (jazz) musicians I know, also teach. There is not much of a live music culture in the Netherlands. Bars don"t have live music (anymore).

Weather is not that bad though...

Rudy

People think a bubble is easy and it's not
I agree. You got to feel it, mon.

But if you want to try some time, you just might find there are lots of how to play reggae bubble vids on utoob.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+play+reggae+bubble

And every one of those the feel is really wrong. The timing and disparity between the touch of both hands is wrong in them.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Netherlands [ Amsterdam] is calling.

The cold weather is a problem. Maybe global warming will solve that ;)

There is almost no musician who can only live from playing here. Almost all (jazz) musicians I know, also teach. There is not much of a live music culture in the Netherlands. Bars don"t have live music (anymore).

Weather is not that bad though...

Hi Rudy, I appreciate your post. FYI, I am not running with the group that is trying to make some money.

I can manage my expenses, fortunately.

Bar owners are mercenary. The venue operators in my part of the state {CA} are not much different.

Its about getting customers to drink. Its crass and true.

Weather experience is more subjective. Here in CA, winters are brief and mild. Spoiled is a fair word.

"In Amsterdam, the summers are comfortable and partly cloudy and the winters are long, very cold, windy, and mostly cloudy"

https://weatherspark.com/y/51381/Average-Weather-in-Amsterdam-Netherlands-Year-Round

I hope to visit your country soon ! You might one day, see me and my Kronos 88 on a street corner ;)

[in the spring/summer]

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

People think a bubble is easy and it's not. My buddies band Bonafide play in Hawaii a lot. They want the Jamaican feel.

An interesting bit about this. I did NYE on Catalina Island in a bar called the Marlin Club. The band itself is pretty much all 60-70's classic rock but the leader who lives over there likes to change things up for special events like NYE, July 4th and others. He brought in Calvin Banks from Urban Dread as a guest artist. Calvin is a super nice guy and is definitely Mr. Reggae. He and I shared the hotel room and he worked up charts for me and coached me on what to play on keys. When he was brought up to play his stuff the entire loud, drunk bar stopped what they were doing, turned around and starting singing along with him. It caught me completely off guard, didn't see that coming at all. It seemed like EVERYBODY knew all words to that stuff. As a show it was great and the band leader was absolutely right to bring him over. It was a very good contrast from the classic rock stuff which is what I've always believed in doing shows, variety and contrast is good. Calvin did 2 or 3 songs per set and knocked it out of the park, they loved it.

The lesson here is we could all do worse than playing reggae if you're trying to earn a living.

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

And every one of those the feel is really wrong. The timing and disparity between the touch of both hands is wrong in them.
All of them? Hmm. You might be right. I'd have to hear them in the context of a live band. But it's a bit like saying everybody in the marching band is out of step except for my Johnny. I love reggae. I spent a lot of time in the 60's to mid-70's on Grand Cayman island when reggae was first being played and before it really reached the States in a big way. If you think the feel is really wrong in those utoob vids, can you give a link to bubble playing that you think has the feel exactly right? Here are some of my nominations:

Toots & The Maytals "Pressure Drop." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRSwjhYmAY4

Jimmy Cliff "The Harder They Come."

Bob Marley "Is This Love".

Apologies to everyone else for taking this OT.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Yes most of those videos. It's not they don't understand the concept...their feel is wrong. It's an aggressive style that actually makes the music sound faster than it's going. I can tell by looking at their hands. The single hardest thing to play in Reggae and after that it's all the melody lines while playing the bubble you have to master. I don't want to derail the thread but those songs are good, I just opened for Toots and have known his son a long time who is the bass player. Here are some others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-XmNm0inyM

Sorry to derail the thread. Maybe some people in Canada can comment on the big cities there?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Me, I"m still looking for 'Tropical Denmark' ð
Check out Sydney.. a tropical San Francisco, it's awesome down there.

Sydney is a basket case for live gigs at the moment. I"ve been gigging here for 30 years. If you don"t teach then you will starve. Weather is great though.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.