Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp sims and Raspberry Pi

J. Dan

Anybody know anything about this?

I want a very simple form factor of something on the floor doing ONLY amp sim, no other effects needed, and 2-3 footswitches: Clean/dirty (preset with the model), and boost for solos. 3rd switch if it existed would be a tuner. I want MIDI in primarily for just patch selection, but maybe the option for MIDI control of some parameters wouldn't be bad.

Line 6 HX stomp is perfect form factor, but WAY overkill and $600. I don't remember it now, but ere is a platform similar but you install plugins...loooked perfect until I saw it was $700.

Raspberry Pi is a small computer board for $35 that has some I/O pins, USB, and HDMI, generally running Linux. Found a free Linux amp sim, but don't know if it'll run on Raspberry Pi. I'm thinking of trying to build my own deal with open source sims on Raspberry Pi and put it in a stomp box with a MIDi interface. Could probably do it, including a touch display for less than $200.

Anybody have any experience with any of this stuff?

(Had a thread on the KC answer got SOME good info but they were more interested in playing piano apps - while I WILL use my keyboard setlist function to do patch changes and run some synth solos through it, I will also use for guitar and am only interested in amp sim)

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@J. Dan - sorry you're not getting any help on this?

If you were considering a Line 6 HX, maybe a previous generation, dis-continued model would serve, for a lot less $$$?

I've long used my Boss GT-series MFX as MIDI Switchers & Controllers, and it's easy to create Patches that only use Amp Modeling, with no other FX. You can Assign different CC#'s to the CTL & EXP pedals, add Clean Boost, on the GT-10, you can even run different, parallel Signal Chains, within the GT-10, and send them to the L & R Outs. I suspect a number of the other Korg, Zoom, Digitech, Boss and Line 6 mFX, would give you a lot fo the same features, with much the same footprint.

Good hunting. let us know what you come up with.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

You might check out a used Fender Mustang Floor pedal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113862616152

It has some nice amp sims, midi in/out, 2 xlr outs to pa, 2 1/4" outs to pa, ground lift, noise gate, tuner, many pre-set patches, or create your own with stomp boxes, with or without effects, expression pedal or volume pedal, effects loop for your other pedals, etc. You can use the comp for clean boost, the OD/Dist for dirt on and off. I have one and they sound great. I only use the Feder Deluxe amp sim as the one I liked best and never got into the midi in/out function. Great little pedal for the price but you can only buy them used as Fender stopped making them. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

For $35 and free open source software I may go ahead and start experimenting. If it seems like it will work, I'll add some more cash for a small touchscreen, audio/midi interface, etc.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.