Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo - buying advice please

hi

A dual manual Mojo just popped up for sale locally.

I'm very tempted but haven't been following the conversation about this brand.

Are there different models available, which one is the best?

Any specific tips on buying one used, what to look out for?

Is this still a relevant keyboard, or better to go for a Nord?

thanks

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I evaluated this very carefully in 2017. They are very popular among the dual manual clonewheelers here. I prefer a DSP based organ over Windows XP and I think the Mojo61 with the additional manual is a much better product if you can live with fewer drawbars.

For me, my comparisons, shootout or whatever you want to call it made me determine that the Viscount Legend Live was better for what I wanted in my dual manual clonewheel than either the Crumar Mojo, Hammond or Nord C2D. None of them suck and they all sound good to me, just different features.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Over the past two months, I've been going through a lot of old threads here, and in some of the Facebook groups, trying to find answers to this question. I'm glad I spent the time I did, because as the instrument has been updated, certain facts I took note of have changed. Dave Doerfler (who has already weighed in here), Dave Bryce, and Mitch Towne on this forum have been particularly generous with their time in clearing up a lot of these questions for me as I searched for a dual manual organ that was the right fit for my specific needs and idiosyncrasies as a player.

Here's the best I can summarize at the moment, and you (or others) can let me know if I've left out anything relevant:

The dual-manual Mojo has been revised a few times since 2011. The most recent version is the Mojo XT, which added a few extra features like an internal power supply, a Leslie 11-pin connector, and some additional MIDI controller functions. I believe the previous revisions were just minor build tweaks. They all have the same sound generator.

There's also the single-manual Mojo 61, which has basically the same organ sound (though it's had some updates that the dual Mojo doesn't have), plus more additional sounds. It can be expanded with an optional lower manual.

More details:

-The dual manual Mojo got an upgrade to its physical action in April of 2015. I've played both actions; the older one is perfectly fine -- feels like my Nord Electro. But I absolutely agree that the newer action feels much more Hammond-like, even playing it without the instrument plugged in.

-As far as buying one used: I have heard that some of the earlier models are more prone to issues that were ironed out over the production run (someone near me has a mechanical issue with their c.2012 model; he replaced it a few years ago and hasn't had any issues).

-The dual manual Mojo is no longer being updated. That's fine if you like how it sounds and what your options are for customization (it's certainly fine with me). Just know that any updates being made to Crumar's organ modeling will be for the Mojo61, and the dual Mojo is what it is at this point, unless some major issue is uncovered that Crumar needs to fix.

-The dual manual Mojo runs on an internal, modified Windows XP system (this is one of the reasons it's not receiving more updates as of 2019). The Mojo61 and the Seven run on a DSP that's a little more current. This doesn't have any bearing on the actual sound coming out, though.

-The dual manual Mojo has limited additional sounds, with limited customization to how they can be played. It has a Rhodes (with B3 or a combo organ on the upper manual) and a Wurli (with the other combo organ on the upper manual). Any other sounds or configurations would have to come from an external sound source over MIDI. There are a few tricks to switch in and out of MIDI and velocity modes from the panel; I believe those features are more robust on the newer XT models.

-As far as the sound of the dual manual Mojo (and the 61), and the hand/ear connection, folks still rave about it.

-The Mojo 61 is the same VB3-based organ sound, and action, plus improved additional sounds (better Wurli/Rhodes, a clavinet). However, it's monotimbral. If you expand the 61 with the optional lower manual, you cannot play organ on one manual and clav or e-piano on the other. One sound at a time.

-The Mojo 61 has a flat top without any controls, which is a plus. But it only has one set of drawbars. You can add a modular second set if you like and set it on the top, but it doesn't have pedal drawbars, if that matters to you.

-The Mojo 61 can have its deep functions edited over wifi using a phone or tablet. The dual Mojo requires either Crumar's little editor box, or a VGA monitor and mouse, for deep editing.

I've heard rumors that a new dual-manual organ is in the works from Crumar that would make use of the technological advances implemented in the 61. When the Mojo dual was upgraded to the XT version in 2018, Guido said it would stay in production until a new dual manual organ was released "in a year or two." But that was a casual comment made on Facebook, and as far as I've been able to suss out, there's no hard timeline for a new model beyond the XT.

FWIW, I wound up buying a Mojo XT. It was the best fit for me. I haven't gigged it yet, but I will be taking it out soon, and I'm very excited.

Hopefully this is helpful to you!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

hi

Is this still a relevant keyboard, or better to go for a Nord?

thanks

Lotta great info in Sam's post above, including stuff I didn't know.

Just adding my 2 cents, I think the updated action like the Mojo 61 has, and that Sam says later versions of the Mojo have, is the one to get. You might be fine with playing the regular Fatar action, but that action as modified by Crumar is significantly better enough that, in my opinion, I'd pay extra for it. In other words, I wouldn't get an older Mojo with the unmodified action just to save a few hundred bucks.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

some super helpful information posted already.

much appreciated and fascinating reading.

found also this very informative thread.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2428421/1

seems like an interesting and unique product, would make for an interesting video or two. :)

have reached out to the seller. will check the age of the instrument

thanks again

I own a bunch of organs. Mojo dual, Mojo 61, Legend Live, Nord Stage (if you can stand its organ), and 3 tonewheel consoles. I used to own a Hammond XK-1C, Roland VK-1000, various other Nord Electros and Stages, and all the way back to the original analog Korg CX-3.

I use my Mojo 61 in my everyday gigging band. I used to run it into a MiniVent but don't bother any more since the Crumar sim got so good. I get raves about my organ tone at most gigs.

When I need a dual manual clone, I still reach for my Mojo dual. It's ancient - one of the very first prototypes built before the NAMM show. I have had it rebuilt at the factory to the latest hardware (pre-XT) and it has the improved action as well. I sometimes pair it with a real leslie and sometimes not, depending on how my back feels. I also sometimes run it into a Speakeasy AMA / Vent chain.

I prefer it soundwise and playability wise over the Legend. The Nord organs are not even worth mentioning compared to those other two. The Legend has great hardware and good sound, but the action is uncomfortably stiff. I can navigate it, but why bother when I have the much superior Mojo action?

The things the Mojo gets right are in the details - the key click, the percussion, and especially the CV. To my ears, no other organs purr like the Mojos with C3 engaged. The embedded Windows engine is not a big deal to me. It works fine if you keep the power decent.

I suppose at some point Crumar will do a dual manual version of the Mojo 61, using the DSP engine and bringing the ability to run the excellent EPs and modeled piano to a dual manual board. It would have to be bi-timbral for me to make the switch. In fact, my dream dual manual clone is an updated Mojo with the DSP core, bi-timbral, the excellent current action, and the 4 drawbar layout of the Legend.

Moe

---

nice post, Samual. I'm sure the OP will find it very helpful. Congrats on your purchase, didn't know you had sorted it out. :2thu:
Thank you! Yeah, one thing led to another and I'll have my XT on Tuesday. Happy birthday to me. I wasn't going to report back until I'd had some time with it under my fingers, but since the OP is pretty much exactly where I was in July, I figured I had an obligation to pass on what I have learned.

FYI, I watch the Woody Piano Shack videos all the time on YouTube!
I've met a number of people who I knew from watching YouTube videos on this forum... one of the nice things about hanging out here!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I suppose at some point Crumar will do a dual manual version of the Mojo 61, using the DSP engine and bringing the ability to run the excellent EPs and modeled piano to a dual manual board. It would have to be bi-timbral for me to make the switch. In fact, my dream dual manual clone is an updated Mojo with the DSP core, bi-timbral, the excellent current action, and the 4 drawbar layout of the Legend.

I feel like I have my dream board with the addition of the Mojo61 Lower Keyboard + iPad. I have a dual manual organ when I need it (on which I have no problem getting around with the one set of drawbars, but another set would be icing on the cake), plus in effect a multi-timbral lower manual that plays splits and/or layers with Ravenscroft / Neo-Soul (more comprehensive than onboard) / Bass / Synths.. etc.

The only thing I've been toying with lately is marrying up the two manuals permanently with some kind of end blocks.

Here for the gear.

very intriguing product line indeed.

thanks for name dropping my channel, and thanks of course for watching my nonsense :)

one of the benefits of having a following is that brands are sometimes keen to collaborate.

with that in mind, I just shot an email to people at crumar to gauge their interest...

i'll work on my organ chops in the meantime :)

very intriguing product line indeed.

thanks for name dropping my channel, and thanks of course for watching my nonsense :)

one of the benefits of having a following is that brands are sometimes keen to collaborate.

with that in mind, I just shot an email to people at crumar to gauge their interest...

i'll work on my organ chops in the meantime :)

Well, if there's indeed a new Mojo in the works, your timing would be perfect.

Thanks for your advice & demos at the "shack" â you've saved me some money (and helped me spend it, too).

Cheers

Here for the gear.

I play Mojo61 in a Chicago tribute band. For years of cover band playing with other clones, people would say at most 'nice work on keys.' Now, people are saying 'great Hammond' or 'nice organ' tone or playing. Suddenly they know. This says a lot to me about the authenticity of the Mojo.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

In fact, my dream dual manual clone is an updated Mojo with the DSP core, bi-timbral, the excellent current action, and the 4 drawbar layout of the Legend.
...and a decent acoustic piano. My current setup is a Mojo 61 and a Nord Stage 2, which I mostly need for the acoustic pianos. The Nord has a ton of other fun sounds to be sure. I'd love to get by with a single board but the Mojo's AP is a non-starter for me. But its Hammond tone is the best there is.

...and a decent acoustic piano.
^ This. I LOVE My Mojo61, I got it exclusively for Hammond, but I now use it for all Rhodes and Wurli's as they are amazing... except for the acoustic piano, which is flat-out terrible. I keep expecting they'll update it in a firmware update like they have the others. But since the beginning, it's been treated as a "bonus feature", and doesn't even have a page in the settings app. I hear for the first few years of its existence, you had to do a button hack to even enable it, so it's obvious Crumar hasn't spent much effort on it. However, I love my Mojo61 so much, I'd love to bring it to smaller gigs for everything. The lack of decent piano puts a bit of a damper on that though.

As for choice between Mojo61 and Dual... the firmware updates make a big difference. They've added many new Leslie features and updated the E.Pianos quite a bit in just the 11months I've owned the unit. As I just posted the other day, the "Overdrive Feedback" setting is absolutely amazing, and wasn't there just 6 months ago. All of these updates stopped on the Dual, long before I got the 61. Now, IMO, playing with the Addon second manual with one set of drawbars would be kind of tricky. Getting a second set to put on top would be ideal, but it's another added piece you have to wire in. I'm not yet a full-blown organist, so a single manual is fine with me, but if I was, I'd hold out until Crumar releases the FULL dual that's based off the Mojo61.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?