Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some straight digitally recorded PC3 sounds for your D.A.C.

Now, I've still too much work to do on my studio processing streams fixing some delay errors, and I've gone yet another route wit the correction sounds to make an "inside" sounding PC3 setup where I can load rom and other patches with some fixed changes to sound good. The other direction is because there are many directions to chose when making acceptable sounds, but probably not the ones I want.

Today, I recorded straight digital 44.1kS/s 24 bit output from the PC3 with a Lexicon Omega, no processing or significant (..) resampling, only an exact factor 2 in volume boost, and here is me noodling and playing some ROM and some own patches on the heavily prepared SetUp, creating some multi layers on the fly:

floyddigi1.mp3 8 min 42 secs of use for non-commercial purposes 320kbps mp3

If any of you want one of these patches for download, that can be arranged, it's not a done deal yet, though, I'm still working on how these sounds will reconstruct right, and make all kinds of build in components shine properly. On normal computer/notebook DACs, this sound, though a bit clunky because of the mp encoding, should sound ok.

For this occasion, I've started with electric organ (with leslie) and ended with a increasingly more registers open pipe organ, and there's synth, too. All is as I said directly from the PC3 digital out, nothing else, though I played a weighed keyboard connected to it by Usb Midi.

T.V.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I tried it myself, too, without having recorded a better uncompressed version, it appears this "flap control" built in the sound allows it to work alright on phone and "normal" computer converters. The Yamaha MG DAC is ok as well, but on the big 5-way monitoring becomes a bit distorted with the piano it seems.

In principle, trying to prepare the built in DAC filters to follow the "perfect" waves is limited to one type of DAC+built in filter, which according to manufacturers data sheets can vary quite a bit. Things get harder when you've got a sound coming from your synthesizer, like with this setup set up for the Kurzweils internal DAC, or an analogue (still a strange spelling to me, there's a famous electronics company called Analog after all) synth and you want to record and multi track it, and THEN correct the signal. Then a computer needs to do the corrections, and that is extremely hard, even though it sounds simple. So the stuff built in to the Kurzweil that can come full circle by itself is valuable.