Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mojo61 - "Tube Feedback" (awesome)

I recently discovered this parameter on the Mojo61 that snuck in on a recent Firmware update, and it REALLY changes the Drive sound, allowing for much thicker distortion. I've always considered the VB3/Mojo Amp sim to be pretty "wimpy" and unable to achieve the thick overdriven organ sounds you'd expect from hard rock greats. My two big tests for any organ sim are a Machine Head-era John Lord sound (no Rotary since it was a Marshall), and Erotomania (Dream Theater) from Kevin Moore... I'm not even sure the latter is a real B3, but it's a damned tasty organ tone.

"Tube Feedback" - The manual describes it as emulating the sound of a loud amp interacting with the magnetic tone wheels. I'm not sure these mental gymnastics are really necessary. There are many things that will alter the property of overdrive: different tubes, mic placement, etc. The end result is just that this setting makes the overdrive thicker and crunchier. You can finally get that "grinding" heard on many balls-to-the-walls organ songs. I really love it.

The only downside is it makes the overall organ louder. For some reason, Crumar has never gotten around to adding a "Master Volume" setting for each keyboard model. I commonly jump between B3 and Wurli on my standard set, and the B3 has always been a bit louder. Now it will be even more so. I really wish I could tweak the output volume for each model individually. I emailed them asking if they could include this in the next firmware update, as it seems like an incredibly simple/useful/obvious feature.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only downside is it makes the overall organ louder. For some reason, Crumar has never gotten around to adding a "Master Volume" setting for each keyboard model.

It needs that "master volume" control for each preset you store,- and as a general compensation,- for different instrument models to some degree.

A.C.

By "Preset", do you mean drawbar presets, keyboard/organ defaults, or the presets in the WebApp? The drawbar presets ONLY respond to drawbar settings, and I think they should be left that way... that's opening up a huge can of worms right there since it's how B3s have operated since the beginning of time. I haven't really played around with WebApp setting presets much because I don't use it on the fly in gigs. But it does make sense that it should for people who do operate that way.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I didn"t know it was there until this thread. Messing around with it, I found a mighty chunky setting:

Leslie stop. Chorus to taste. Percussion off. Click full throttle.

Slide down the Tube Feedback to about 25.

Turn up the panel Drive knob to about 2:00.

Pull as many of those drawbars back toward you as you like.

Hang on to your hat!

Here for the gear.

I find that 08 8800 000 with the Perc ON set on the 2nd makes a MEAN rhythm guitar when all fried up. Throws in the same harmonics as a power chord. I stay away from using too many upper-harmonics when doing really overdriven material, they just make the sound too fizzy and chaotic, like crappy solid-state distortion. It also allows the Percussion to shine through and sculpt a nice timbre envelope for the overdrive to chug on, like a palm mute.

This video on youtube is what tuned me in (pun intended) to the Mojo 61's capabilities as I was deciding that was the clonewheel I wanted to get -- and I did get one.

on youtube, by Marcoballa.

That may give you and others some other ideas or insights.

I love that they modeled the fast/slow Leslie click and the air sound of the spinning horn/rotor, which you can hear when cranked up and toggling between fast/slow even without playing a key. My kids are very excited that I can now get the Hammond & Leslie sound (well, almost...) that I've always wanted to get again -- but with < 50 pounds of gear instead of the > 500 pounds they used to help me lug around...

Cheers!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I went in tonight and played with that parameter. I had installed the 1.40 update months ago but never played with the new params. I gave myself a little more bass with the port param, and ended up giving it some more hair with the feedback control. I left it at 1/4 so that I can play it out live without it turning completely nasty!

Moe

---