Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How did you learn to play?

Brian McConnon

I saw an old thread here that caught my eye and wonder how many people are self-taught vs having had formal instruction.

I came to the drums at 5 or 6 years old because there was a drum kit in the garage (a cheapo from the Sears catalog, if I remember right) left from an older brother had lost interest. I saw Buddy Rich on the Tonight Show and became obsessed with the drums. I basically learned by listening and trying to play along with songs on the radio because Buddy was so far beyond my comprehension! It wasn't until middle school marching band that I had any kind of formal instruction. Later in college, as part of a music degree, I studied with a percussion professor.

So, I was self taught from a young age, with some formal instruction coming later. How did you learn?

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic