Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MacOS Catalina - message from Native Instruments

In my inbox this morning (excuse me if already posted):

[align:center]http://orders.native-instruments.com/assets/bm/imh/4f/d/4fdb335973a6f3b37de0c522303c72494035da1704dfca61eccbafc73baa564a.jpg[/align]

[align:center]Hi there,

In the next few weeks, Apple will release a new operating system, macOS 10.15 Catalina.

To ensure your Native products work the way they should, we recommend waiting to update.

We"re working on making our software fully compatible with macOS 10.15.

In the meantime check [url:https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001890378-macOS-10-15-Catalina-Compatibility-with-Native-Instruments-Products?utm_campaign=Catalina+awareness+c%3Dcatalina+b%3DKomplete+t%3DUpdate_DD&utm_medium=email&utm_source=scm&uuh=037a67a4b50664a7bccd0f7ca25c39a3]here[/url] for more information regarding your NI products and support for macOS Catalina.

All the best,

Native[/align]

Here for the gear.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in the computer / software industry for decades and holding off upgrading is a good habit to get into for all upgrades.

The QA test cycle is the first part of projects time gets cut from and some companies the full functionality test is done after a product ships. Yes you are the beta tester like it or not. I can save shipping new products with bug lists still in the thousands is normal. One product I worked on shipped with 5000 known bugs, now a lot of those bugs were cosmetic, documentation, and in obscure areas of the app, but some were "show stopper" bugs negotiated down to a priority 2 bug in meetings. One of the biggest companies I worked for twice shipped with 1000 bugs. Back then lead times to manufacture CD's and paper documentation was so long we usually had bug fixes finished before a product would ship.

So unless a diehard, have to have it now fanboy, always wait to installs upgrades.

No plans to upgrade anytime soon. Mojave has alerted me to 23 different apps and drivers I currently have installed that won't work with the next macOS (and I update regularly). I think I'll have a fairly long wait before all the manufacturers have complied.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Well there are several issues that are going to eliminate backward compatabilty on OSX. One of these is processor related. From 2011 on Intel's Sandy Bridge processors have supported Advanced Vector Extensionsd ( AVX) which are now being used by software developers, e.g. IK Multimedia Modo Drums. Widespread adoption will mean any pre Sandy Bridge processor on Windows or Mac will not be able to run these AU's and VI's.

Standby for howls of protest from folks with these machines. As someone with machines with post Sandybridge processors I welcome innovation that utilises the power and speed of the hardware I have invested in. Eight years is a long time to wait for software that provides an improvement on the Core Duo processor instruction set.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I'm not an Apple apologist or fanboy by any means but it seems to me they've made efforts in the past to allow people to use older machines or software, eg dual booting on early OSX machines, then Classic, then Rosetta, universal binary, selectable 32/64 bit on some apps, etc. Were devs not warned of this latest change a while ago?

I'm not an Apple apologist or fanboy by any means but it seems to me they've made efforts in the past to allow people to use older machines or software, eg dual booting on early OSX machines, then Classic, then Rosetta, universal binary, selectable 32/64 bit on some apps, etc. Were devs not warned of this latest change a while ago?

Yes they were.

As you and I have discussed, I run a 2012 beefed up MacBook Pro for Mainstage or GigPerfomer. That's is all it's used for. It runs High Sierra and is just fine.

I do run Mojave on my late 2013 MBP that is used for everything else. I also use it as a test bed, so to speak, to check compatibility with Mojave.

WHat is curious to me is the number of big time programs that prompt Mojave to give me the incompatibility warning. Oh well.

I do a[appreciate that companies like NI send out these notices. I am sure Sweetwater will also start compiling a new Mac Catalina page as they've done with Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

About a month ago I replaced the 256GB SSD in my late-2013 MacBook Pro with a 1TB drive, and also updated directly from OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) to Mojave - yea, I skipped two OSX systems. I do what you do by having a "test bed" but I just use an external drive with the newer system instead of a separate machine. I knew I my music rig would work with Mojave months before my upgrades. I couldn't restore El Cap on my new internal anyway since I went from HFS+ to APFS.

Like you I am also seeing a lot of the "future incompatibility" warnings. I found this terminal command on another website that will save a text file listing all your 32-bit apps. Beware, it will list apps anywhere on any drive connected to your Mac, not just your boot drive. Copy & paste this command (the file is saved to your desktop):

system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType | grep -B 6 -A 2 "(Intel): No" > ~/Desktop/non64bit.txt

Like you I am also seeing a lot of the "future incompatibility" warnings. I found this terminal command on another website that will save a text file listing all your 32-bit apps. Beware, it will list apps anywhere on any drive connected to your Mac, not just your boot drive. Copy & paste this command (the file is saved to your desktop):

system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType | grep -B 6 -A 2 "(Intel): No" > ~/Desktop/non64bit.txt

Thank you very much for this. I am very familiar with playing in Terminal so i will add this command to my list

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• 4 weeks later...
Just make sure you don't have auto-update activated on your Mac - just remembered to turn mine off ;)

I'm 90% sure (but not 100% - yet) that the automatic update will NOT upgrade your computer to Catalina. Just for you, ;) I've left that box checked, and I see no signs that it will upgrade me to Catalina without me asking.

268.thumb.png.200c062126d2a87762f0ff4205352a34.png

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

BTW, Catalina is out today, so if you're not ready to upgrade, don't click that button!

Also, there's a really cool way to have both versions of macOS on one disk, without having to partition and without worrying about what size each gets. The OS dynamically resizes each volume as needed. If you want to play with Catalina, you can use this method while your Mojave install stays the same. You might even be able to do it with an earlier macOS, as long as your drive is formatted as APFS.

You must have enough free space, and don't forget to back up first!

https://www.macworld.com/article/3405588/how-to-install-the-macos-catalina-beta-in-its-own-apfs-container.html

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This will be the first time in a lot of years I haven't upgraded OS relatively quickly but this one is too likely to break too many things for me to take the risk.