Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there anyone else who thinks this intro sounds wrong?

"Tell Me Something Good" was also the song I was going to submit. You can get away with turning the groove around until the interlude between the first verse and chorus, and/or coming out of that first chorus. It ONLY makes sense if you are on board with the bass hitting one beat before the downs.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always liked the interplay between the keys and drums in this intro. Depending on how your first perceive the keys, it sounds like the riff changes when full drums come in even though it's the same.

[video:youtube]

Dropping a tune in my favorite DAW and lining it up to a click track has helped me. I had the same problem as OP with Car Wash until I did this.

I thought Take It Easy was messed up when I was a kid until the Live album came out, and I could hear Henley's count and hi hat.

I heard even Bonham had trouble counting the middle section of Stairway. Page insisted that it never departed from 4-count bars the whole time.

Lenny

I heard even Bonham had trouble counting the middle section of Stairway. Page insisted that it never departed from 4-count bars the whole time.

Wasn't the story with Kashmir that Bonham decided to just play in 4 rather than navigate the 3/4s and 9/8s, figuring it would come around again at some point?

www.joshweinstein.com

Dropping a tune in my favorite DAW and lining it up to a click track has helped me. I had the same problem as OP with Car Wash until I did this.

Yay Lenny!! :cheers: You have made me very happy to know that I was not the only one mentally turning car wash into a car crash! ...

Fortunately I have cracked it now and it is sounding MUCH better and causing me no more pain. :D

It is great to hear everyone's examples of tunes which mess with their heads. Here is another one which has an intro which I find truly fiendish....

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/eREISjv0yn0

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I wrestled with my band for months about the beginning of "Take it Easy."

The third in our series of "where's the beat" is "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," which starts on the And of Three.

Yup, classics that throw people.

Also the drum intro to Led Zep's Rock and Roll.

And Yes' Yours is No Disgrace, which being Yes, feels fine if you count it wrong too (though the organ gets oddly syncopated). So what if you later have to drop a beat? It's Yes!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There's got to be a mismatch in beats going on here, right? My old band did this song, and I was the singer, and I guess I figured out how to just feel it, but I was glad I wasn't playing anything through it, because there's no way in hell I could tell you how that intro fits with the verse:

There's got to be a mismatch in beats going on here, right? My old band did this song, and I was the singer, and I guess I figured out how to just feel it, but I was glad I wasn't playing anything through it, because there's no way in hell I could tell you how that intro fits with the verse:

Yes, Ringo either 1) made the decision to work 4 against 3, or 2) had to stick with 4 because he couldn't nail the 3, depending on which account you believe. I believe the first one, it's not like the guy couldn't play 3.

www.joshweinstein.com

There's got to be a mismatch in beats going on here, right? My old band did this song, and I was the singer, and I guess I figured out how to just feel it, but I was glad I wasn't playing anything through it, because there's no way in hell I could tell you how that intro fits with the verse

The opening bass drum hit is the 1. The three following guitar hits are on the Ands after 1, 2, and 3. And you can see how it fits when those three chords come in again later. But yeah, it's a crazy effect.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Some things are so wrong they just have to be right.

How true. That takes wrong all the way round the back and meets right coming the other way.

Cheers, Mike.

The arrangements on this album are off the hook. The arranger was a genius.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

We consist of some pretty decent players, but we can't (easily, every time) get the beginning of Sex on Fire from Kings of Leon.

It's really hard to tell what beat the guitar accent is on...seems to be between beats and not in the middle, but obviously they made it work. I suggested just come in with the drums from the beginning, more dancing time, but the rest of the band seemed to feel people might notice and find it jarring (we shall agree to disagree, hell audiences don't care when half the instruments are canned, though against my own arguments they *will* sound like the record that way....)

We also had a hell of time with The Kinks' Father Christmas (a holiday party client requested it). I couldn't tell if the Kinks just picked random times to come out of fills on purpose or if it was just accidental. They all did it together mostly so I guess it was on purpose. We basically just made all the fills even numbers and said the heck with trying to get it exactly like they did it.

I think Joni Mitchell's "Help Me" is a related case.

Now, it sounds perfectly normal if all you do is enjoy it as a listener, but if I listen to the end of each chorus and try to break down the rhythms to figure out how to cover it, I find myself thinking "wait - what the heck is happening here?".

Try tapping your finger slowly, along with the kick/snare, and the rug gets yanked out from underneath you, right around 0:30 (and similarly at the end of each chorus).

But if you are not thinking about how to cover it, all you hear is Joni and her musicians making it sound just effortless, and so right.