Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do You Print Your Pictures?

Synthoid

I rarely printed any of my smartphone pictures, but since purchasing my DSLRs, I started printing quite a few of them--it's great to actually hold real photographs in your hand. Brings back memories of the ancient days of film. :laugh:

One of my friends gets most of her prints done online (4x5 size), but I think bigger is better. I just started with a few favorites on 8 1/2 x 11 glossy paper, but now I'll print a handful from each photo shoot. I dug out an old portfolio book that holds 24 prints and almost filled it up.

Here is an interesting article about why people need to print their photographs::

https://mikeyostphotography.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/the-most-photographed-generation-will-have-no-pictures-in-10-years/

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have but not for a while. I bought a bunch of frames to print some more, but haven't. And, I need to buy more ink for my inkjet for that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I rarely do, and when I do, it's for clients. I only have a handful of my prints in my house because of lack of wall space. I do want to print a couple of Milky Way photos on metal in a few months, though, or maybe early next year.

I was early on the printing of digital pictures, but that was of computer graphics renderings in the early 90s with a special camera which would point for point receive the digital image, and subsequent analog printing.

End of the 90s, there were printers and digital cams that would actually work, but it wasn't easy. I did some of that commercially, but until this day it's always a matter of making sure your printer cartridges are ok, the paper feeds correctly, etc, unless you use a actual print facility or a Kinko's or something where others would do that for you.

I've done some serious prints with various printers of graphics in the '00s up to A1 or whichever photographic format comes close to that, which was fun, but with a home printer and maximum size of an A4 (letter size) it's fun to take a relatively cheap quality printer (like a proper Hewlett Packard) make sure it's got good cartridges (my experience teaches: of the original manufacturer) take the best gloss paper money can buy, set it up right with the slowest most accurate printing options and results are fun and nice.

Sometimes it's fun to look at some old printouts that way, and it's devoid of the screen ambiguities relating to color space and viewing angle, and well, white is white, nothing more you can do, so that's a better tuning help.

There are various programs available outside of the long standing Adobe tools, like the free and Open Source Gimp and Krita. It's a bit of trying and guessing if you don't know which color curves go where and what the various translations are going to be. Best shot is to take into account camera and screen color profiles properly, us as much resolution (image and picture depth, for instance do processing and color tuning in Lrita at at least 16 bits per each of the red green and blue components), and test straight printing first, then iterate to your artistic taste after that.

My challenge about a decade and a half ago with printing was to print (processed) frames from High Definition Video, which was refreshing between all those standard photo camera imitations and a good challenge to get 192x1080 pixels to fill a photograph or even an A4 blowup properly!

TV

I have just started printing mine. Monster learning curve - it is far more complex than I had anticipated, but very rewarding. :)

I think printing is a whole art in itself.