Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Maestro Ring Mod?

Anyone with experience using the Maestro Ring Mod so many cats from the 70s/80s used?

I"m trying to cop the sound in software that Josef Zawinul is using on Barbary Coast.

Software RingMods ain"t happening, I"ve got a few and they"re leaning more towards summing and fold back more than the Metallic Ringing I heard.

Any experience using a RingMod pedal that can get this time would be appreciated, I"m done messing with 1"s and 0"s.

Great groove these guys got.

They didn"t play the studio version live when I saw them.

Zawinul was using cluster style chords and funky off beat stabs.

Would love to get this sound, so thanks if you know.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never used an external ring mod, but have some keyboards that do it internally....lots of fun, especially analog ring mod. My MFB Dominion1 is fun for that!!! Other notable keyboards good for that: CS-80, lots of the casio pro digital stuff like CZ and VZ series, Yamaha.....forget the model but the rack synth based on the DX7 but also had formant filters and if I recall, ring mod, though I could be wrong on that one.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Anyone with experience using the Maestro Ring Mod so many cats from the 70s/80s used?

I"m trying to cop the sound in software that Josef Zawinul is using on Barbary Coast.

Software RingMods ain"t happening, I"ve got a few and they"re leaning more towards summing and fold back more than the Metallic Ringing I heard.

Any experience using a RingMod pedal that can get this time would be appreciated, I"m done messing with 1"s and 0"s.

Great groove these guys got.

They didn"t play the studio version live when I saw them.

Zawinul was using cluster style chords and funky off beat stabs.

Would love to get this sound, so thanks if you know.

Peteramplificatori made a clone.

Should be more clones out there ... boutique/DIY stuff though.

It seems the Oberheim and Maestro were slightly different.

Moogerfooger is what Chick Corea uses and you can connect an expression pedal which IMO is important.

I´m using the Ringmod build into Kurzweil PC3 which does it great and offers separate control of several side-bands via 4 sinewave generators (frequency/ level).

I use it on some Rhodes patches I edited and build my own FX chains for (Dist/ Ringmod/ Wah/ Compressor/ Barberpole (peak&notch) Phaser/ 2-Band-Exciter// Aux-Delay and Aux-Reverb).

It´s fully MIDI controllable and you find it also in the Kurzweil Kurzweil Rumour | Mangler.

I´m not sure it´s available in both FX units,- maybe "Mangler" only.

:cool:

A.C.

Ankyu AlCoda..

I"m liking a bunch of different ones at the moment but might save my cash and use ASM Hydra for a PAT Controlled Ring Mod.

I love this new synth, I"ve played plenty of behemoths, VS, MicrowaveXT, Solaris, etc.

This synth is a Sculptor of sound and the PAT & Ribbon have me excited.

My Strymons and the Horizont JFET Phaser (looped through Mobius) are plenty for FX ATM.

I actually found the RingMod on Mobius and it"s totally automated via CC"s, sounds pretty good too.

Life is great lately with all the innovations we"re seeing.

Not sure why all of a sudden our trade shows are chock full of new treats, we even have new CPUs..

But I"m thoroughly enjoying my addiction to synths and samples.

Cheerz

...Yamaha.....forget the model but the rack synth based on the DX7 but also had formant filters and if I recall, ring mod, though I could be wrong on that one.

Yamaha FS1R. No idea about ring mod.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Ankyu AlCoda..

I"m liking a bunch of different ones at the moment but might save my cash and use ASM Hydra for a PAT Controlled Ring Mod.

I love this new synth, I"ve played plenty of behemoths, VS, MicrowaveXT, Solaris, etc.

This synth is a Sculptor of sound and the PAT & Ribbon have me excited.

Even it´s a bit OT here ... you have one already ?

Ringmod:

MIDI-Control is everything when working w/ MIDI controller, MIDI expander modules of all kind and computer/software rig.

That´s why I mentioned the "ancient" Kurzweil FX device.

You can buy Moogerfooger, ElectroHarmonix and whatelse stompbox unit and w/ luck you get expressionpedal input and knobs, but no advanced MIDI.

ASM Hydra and PAT controlled ringmod sounds promising,- but what does the PAT control when using ringmod ?

I myself, I control p.ex. ringmod OSC pitch by velocity AND expression pedal, different amount for both and overall FX amount by mod-wheel.

Kurzweil FUNs allow finetune controllers ...

PAT is nice but not transmitted by my Kurzweil (Fatar) keyboard, but the RX side is a different story.

In Kurzweil country, you´re able to assign any MIDI CC to any parameter and I guess that´s the same w/ the, already discontinued, FX rackmount units.

I actually found the RingMod on Mobius and it"s totally automated via CC"s, sounds pretty good too.

Well, that´s great when you´ve found a solution already !

:)

A.C.

Yeah I apologize for wasting peoples time, so thanks again.

But I nailed the exact sound using FM- RingMod on the Mobius. I keep forgetting these pedals are so full of algorithms they are really rackmount Multi FX units in a pedal.

Even the Leslie nails Blackhole Sun and Nantucket Sleighride.

I even nailed McLaughlins Inner Mounting Flame leads using an instance of Shreddage 3 and Orange Trees Drafus with the FM+ RingMod algorithm.

Can"t say enough about Strymon Pedals quality.

There must be 40+ Modulation algorithms on Mobius.

I knew the Reverb and delay units were packed but Mobius is really a complete one stop shop.

Six phaser Algos alone...the Barberpole being the thickest fat bastard.

If anyone ever needs a Modulation FX unit this is no normal pedal.

Wish we had their programmer take a look at the XITE-1 for us.

He"s got mad skills.