Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What the. . . . ?

StanC

I had some strange occurrences at 2 separate gigs this weekend. Saturday afternoon gig: set up went fine. Sound check: S90 froze; playable but not responding to patch changes or anything for that matter. Power recycle cured that. Show time: Vent froze on bypass. Foot switch does not respond - would not disable bypass. A power recycle to the vent cured that. Sunday afternoon gig, different venue: Set up and sound check OK. Show time: Hammond working, no Yamaha. Switching channels on my QSC powered stage monitor resulted in losing the Hammond. OK one channel is out. Limit red light lit on the QSC suggested an over ride(?) No time to mess with it, ran the Hammond through the FOH. Back at home. Everything working fine! Strange to have similar issues on 3 separate devices. And the mystery is the cause. A couple theories: These were outdoor gigs in sunlight, but we've done tons of these and never had a problem. Or, maybe the power source. I have a conditioner that I purchased specifically for a gig where we were powered by a generator. But since I've never had a problem with a (presumed) stable power source, and our sound guy's warning "those things are trouble", I rarely use it. Maybe I should!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As electronics age what once worked in stressed conditions might not work work that way going forward. Try a voltage regulator to keep your power close to 117 volts. I use this:

link

For your heat-related issue you'll need to somehow begin shading your equipment .....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Delaware Dave is right on with his advice. A friend of mine has been The Who"s kybd tech, video eng. and other duties for 15 or so yrs. The band had some serious issues with gear especially the kybds at various events. He rec to Pete that they get their own power regulator/filter/conditioner etc. Fixed their issues since 2006. The unit is huge sits behind the stage but they know no matter where they are in the world their power is consistent and save. Don"t waste your $ on those Monster units, great mktg, look great but don"t do much. The one DD posted looks good as do some of the higher end Furman"s, maybe add a good battery backup as well for added protection.

Like the others I would say it was unclean power probably dips. They can get a bit heavy but I would use UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) versus a power conditioner. A UPS will keep you things up during a complete power outage and give you time to do a gracefully power down of devices. UPS will keep power steady no dips or peaks. So a UPS is a good source of clean power.

I have had my Yamaha S70 lock up a couple times over the many years requiring shutting it down. When this happened, nothing on the keyboard worked.

Now I do admit a couple other times I accidentally hit the panel lock which is located on the upper right hand side of the keyboard not allowing any changes to be made. But nothing like you experienced. Nothing to add from what was already stated above.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry