Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XLR A/B switch (for Vocoder)

I found an old thread where it was discussed, regarding vocoders, but didn't see any suggestions. There were some suggestions and links for splitters, but that won't work for me. When I do the vocoder, I need my vocal to FOH to be muted, so I need a true A/B switch - A = vocal to FOH, B = vocal to Kronos Input 1 via XLR to 1/4" TRS.

I googled and there are a number of them out there, but they start at $45 and go up from there. I checked Parts Express for a DPDT footswitch, 2 female and 1 male XLR panel jacks, and a small aluminum box and it came up to about $16-$17. I figured all the shields could be tied together and grounded to the box, and the +/- could be switched from the input to the 2 outputs. Maybe "just in case", I'll add a SPST switch on the shield going to the Kronos in case a ground loop were to develop between the Kronos and the FOH board when I switched to Vocoder.

This week I'll actually be in Springboro, OH (well, passing through) where Parts Express is located and they have counter sales, so I wouldn't even need to pay shipping, just local sales tax.

Any thoughts?

Note: In the thread I ran into, back then, my solution was to just run the mic right into the Kronos, then out Aux 1 for my vocal channel. Default global audio setup automatically sent input 1 to Aux 1, and if needed, the patch would override it and send it to the vocoder IFX block. That was fine back then when it was a duo and I was doing my own sound. But now playing in different bands, I've changed my default settings and don't want to go back and redo all of the audio routings for all of my songs (I run another keyboard into input 1 now), plus I don't like the idea of my Kronos being in the signal path of my mic going to FOH for the kinds of gigs I'm doing.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not easiest in terms of setup live having to have 2 mics and 2 stands set up just so I can use it for one song.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Moe beat me to it. A simple mechanical switch risks clicks, pops and other unpleasant noises.

One idea I had: a little mixer with an "alt" switch to route the mic to an alternate output. But that would leave you sending your mic to foh as a line-level signal.

Cheers, Mike.

Can't go wrong with Radial, but is that a momentary switch? I think Dan would need a latching switch if he's using vocoder for one song.

Back to the two mics idea, if you tape the two mics to each other, you can get away with one stand and easier setup. That's how they used to do FoH+foldback back in the day, rather than split the mic signal.

Cheers, Mike.

It latch-toggles... at least the one I have does. That may be the wrong link. I'm at work at the moment but I can verify when I get home.

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Yes it does. It also has pad switches. Those accidentally getting flipped can be a problem .... that happened once but caught it in soundcheck after checking everything else first. I use XLR headsets so the switch also functions as a cough switch when not on a vocoder combi.

If you want a momentary switch I can see if switchcraft has something that is mechanical not relay based. Everyone is going to this soft touch relay stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

PS. Not Switchcraft but I see DPDT and 3PDT momentary. I"d call Radial but it shouldn"t be hard to convert.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Not sure how important the vocoder capability of the Kronos is in this setup, but you could also consider something like the Electro Harmonix V256. Run your single mic through that, it has a bypass, and it can take a midi in from a controller. I use this setup to do what you're describing.

$90 is pretty pricey. I've found others as little as $45. Yes I thought about pops with my idea....considered wiring in some resistors to ground large enough that they wouldn't load it down and affect the signal, but also eliminate pops. That would be cheap. Taping 2 mics together first of all is extremely cheesy and second of all would not prevent my voice from coming through FOH since it would still be in front of the other mic - may as well just use a splitter.

Dan