Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing"

I have a very complicated relationship with this group. They are (for me) the rare convergence of immense talent in a genre that is right up my alley, combined with rarely playing anything I really care or think that much about after I hear it. It's not often I find a group this impressive to also be this unsticky (for me). I know my hipster cred is predicated on saying that I "get" them, but I think in the end I just don't.

Plus--and this is entirely idiosycratic to me, and not a reflection on them--their recording aesthetic is too sanitized for my ears. I don't get that gut-punch from them that I want to get from groove-based music. It ends up coming across mathy instead of soulful, and I can't find my "in."

+1.

Steve"s notion of throwing a groove under the bus in order to show off pretty much says it. To me, it"s another example of 'Why? Because we can.' It doesn"t really mean anything.

Here for the gear.

The general lack of melody in a lot of this stuff gets really tiresome, but we really need to talk about the fact (and I doubt I'm alone here) that the three bearded members of Vulfpeck are virtually indistinguishable from one another. The fact that at least two of them switch between drums and keyboards doesn't;t help. They might as well be triplets. I wish they'd dye heir hair different colors, or wear name tags or something.

The general lack of melody in a lot of this stuff gets really tiresome, but we really need to talk about the fact (and I doubt I'm alone here) that the three bearded members of Vulfpeck scruffy long-haired androgynous guitar players are virtually indistinguishable from one another. The fact that at least two one of them switch between drums and keyboards is left-handed doesn't help. They might as well be triplets. I wish they'd dye their hair different colors, or wear name tags or something.

- Dad

February 9, 1964

-fixed

:laugh: :wink:

Here for the gear.