Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland Fantom

gino

I can't believe it doesn't have at least the multi-sampling ability of the Juno DS series. They added that feature later as an update for the DS line. That's all I ever wanted with the FA series, but of course they've never added it, so I've never bought one.

It is a shame it never came to the FA. I'm guessing the hardware (i.e. sufficient usable rewritable flash) wasn't there to support it. (Though I had thought that maybe they could repurpose the memory for one of the two slots, giving users a choice as to whether to use that memory for a second expansion or custom samples.) Anyway, the Fantom has 2 GB, so I'd be surprised if we didn't see the multisampling added down the road.

Here's to hoping they add multi-sampling down the road. Re-purposing the FA memory like you suggested (if that's possible) would be a great upgrade to the FA as well. I could live with that if they ever implemented that into the FA. The DS falls short in some areas for me, so it's not really an option. I do have a couple of ASR-10's which can handle any multi-samples I would want to use in a live situation, but ASR-10s are tanks. Best left at home. The FA still has potential, (especially the size and weight) but it's not quite there. Too bad. I know there's other options out there, but I prefer the Roland sound set in general over Yamaha & Korg, etc.

Here's to hoping they add multi-sampling down the road. Re-purposing the FA memory like you suggested (if that's possible) would be a great upgrade to the FA as well. I could live with that if they ever implemented that into the FA. The DS falls short in some areas for me, so it's not really an option. I do have a couple of ASR-10's which can handle any multi-samples I would want to use in a live situation, but ASR-10s are tanks. Best left at home. The FA still has potential, (especially the size and weight) but it's not quite there. Too bad. I know there's other options out there, but I prefer the Roland sound set in general over Yamaha & Korg, etc.

Another solution would be to connect an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch to the Roland FA and run an app like BS-16i for your multisamples. That wasn't so practical at first, but with the 2.0 update to the FA that improved its MIDI Master Controller functionality, it would probably work well. And it's a dirt cheap add-on if you happen to already own the i-device!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

wild idea. Fantom has all those USB connectors.

Could there be some kind of new device that contains and manages the heavy processing requirements of multi sampling ?

I am not much for wishful thinking. But this alternative occurred to me

In the past, there was lots of talk about making keyboards modular.

Since one size does not fit all. Thats my way of saying ' you have your requirements, I have mine '.

I don't believe us keyboard musicians are cookie cutter. I am thinking versatile device via USB

which would require more OS

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I don't believe this is front page news.

There are numerous folks that will spend $3999 on the Fantom.

The first month, and likely later, the Fantom will sell like cupcakes in the morning.

For $3999. or whatever the price is of the other key size Fantom.

The early buyers have no problem putting the purchase on a credit card.

Or pay cash.

Kronos was the same way. 6 month Preorders. Rapid sales. I think this went on for

most of 2011.

Roland knows the Fantom will sell quickly. The dealers know this.

At some point, the rush hour will lessen. It might be some time.

[70's Songwriter]

I got to play the new 6 at GC.

Report tomorrow after I go back. I was there to get some cables for a gig and saw it. So I had to play it.

Feels just as good, if not a little more solid than my long gone X6.

I"m going back tomorrow to really dig in.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Just thinking. I need to download the manual I guess.

So when Roland says no more Modes are there still song files or are sequences stored to scenes? Can you load one shot samples to the pads still like the FA. If so, will this be saved to a song file or a scene. Or... Would I have to save my samples to every scene or just load a song file with my one shots and run it in conjunction with whatever scene I want.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If the action is noisy then you need to play louder.

Exactly. I haven"t heard a single key in 9 years...

could be ear wax. I can tell you about mine. Have photos, etc ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Interesting that Roland think they can turn a profit with a new workstation.

Cheers, Mike.

They must, or these wouldn't have appeared, especially the 76-key model. Also note the similarities to the MODX, which seems like a natural progression in overall higher-end synth design. You're getting more synth for the money because those resources aren't being expended on a full-blown sequencer. It makes no sense to compete with Ableton or Logic in hardware form, but being able to speak to either one readily was clearly on the design team's feature list. I'll be patient until any possible OS funkiness is revealed by early users, but its easy to have some GAS over it. I always preferred workstations because it felt pianistic to have it all in one place. Same with Logic and a controller now. Its easy to see this in Phantom of the Opera mode with a couple of your outside hardware favorites as modules.

Quick question: what percentage of new Fantom buyers will be in the mid-range, going in hock for it as their big kahuna and only buying lesser gear (if any!) for X number of months/years until the bank is paid off? :D

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Before picking up my brand new Roland FA-07 today, I figured it only made sense to lay hands on the new Fantom.

Therein lies the beauty of living in the DC area which is home to the best brick and mortar music store in the world...Washington Music Center aka Chuck's or Chuck Levins. That store has everything. :D

As mentioned, some advantages of the new Fantom over the FA are KB action, metal build, synth section, Ableton like workflow, Scenes, V-Piano modeling, audio interface and computer integration.

None of the Fantom advantages were enough to sway me but I can definitely see how the Fantom will be a hit. I can see it replacing a couple pieces in some KB rigs.

IMO, the way Roland brought the new Fantom to market was brilliant too. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that the new Fantom isn't necessarily all that impressive if you haven't been longing for one the way I have.

It just has the features I've been missing since I retired my Fantom X7 from gigging three years ago. A nice 76-key action with aftertouch and my preferred pitch/mod stick. Would I rather have it cheaper? Sure. But the lack of connection I have had with my keyboards over the last few years hasn't been worth the money I saved.

So I'm willing to take a hit if it brings a little more enjoyment to my gigs.

IMO, the way Roland brought the new Fantom to market was brilliant too. :cool:

If you mean this came totally out of the blue, then yes. I had absolutely no idea they were gonna come back, thought they were done with the high-end market.

Btw, am I the only one who doesn"t really see the point of XLR outs, without a DI function? On FOH types of gigs I use the 1/4 cables to go into a DI. On small gigs with only an amp and no long cables I go with a 1/4' cables in my monitor/amp. Am I missing something?

:confused:

Rudy

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that the new Fantom isn't necessarily all that impressive if you haven't been longing for one the way I have.

It just has the features I've been missing since I retired my Fantom X7 from gigging three years ago. A nice 76-key action with aftertouch and my preferred pitch/mod stick. Would I rather have it cheaper? Sure. But the lack of connection I have had with my keyboards over the last few years hasn't been worth the money I saved.

So I'm willing to take a hit if it brings a little more enjoyment to my gigs.

I had absolutely no idea they were gonna come back, thought they were done with the high-end market.

Brotha Z, the new Fantom has your name written all over it. :thu:

Go ahead with the fire sale of KBs that have been standing in for the real deal. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Ok, I finally watched parts of the videos in the OP. I'm not gonna get a Fantom, as I'm not at all in the market for a workstation.

What I really, really like about it though, is the visualization of synth parameters on the screen. I already dug what the Korg Minilogues did on the tiny OLED displaying the waveform, but this is one more step in the right direction, I think. I was really struggling with synths (I had like three different versions of the Nord Lead that I sold cause I couldn't connect with it), and interactive screens that show what you are actually doing with waveforms, LFOs and other stuff are really motivating for me! I hope we see lots more of these in the near future!

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I think the idea is that the XLR outs negate the need for DI boxes.

I understand that, then the outputs should be isolated with a transformer, which I don"t think is the case. Therefor running the xlr"s out would be too much risk for me personally.

Rudy

Maybe the purpose of the XLRs is for convenience in a recording studio? I agree that you'd want to use DIs on a live gig if you're going to a PA, not only for isolation but to have the ability to lift the ground if there's a problem there. If you're not going to a PA, just personal amplification, 1/4" connections are fine.