Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Live Albums

I was a teenager in the 1970"s, a time when live albums could really boost a band"s career. Peter Framption, Kiss and Ted Nudgent all had live albums that were at the top of their sales and helped pull in fans to their concerts. But, at some point, a record executive decided that 'live' was not a good sound. Bands like Pink Floyd and The Eagles were taking their live recordings into the studio to be overdubbed, cleaned and sterilized. Live albums lost their magic and soon fell out of favor. I miss good live albums and still have a few in my listening rotation. So what are your favorite live albums, and is there anything you like from the last 10 years or so?

My favorites:

Edgar Winter"s White Trash: Roadwork â Maybe my favorite and I am listening to it now. A showcase of how good musicians can turn it up on stage. Burning solos by John Smith (sax) and Rick derringer (guitar). Screaming vocals. Guest appearances. (Johnny Winter) This album does not hide the fact that it is live, it celebrates it.

Three Dog Night: Live at the Forum â This album had a big affect on my keyboard playing. I never realized it until years later when someone asked me where I learned to play 'rhythm organ'. Well, this is the place, and I listen to this album from end to end with no skips.

Steppenwolf: Live â Another good concert performance. 'Don"t Step on the Grass, Sam' should be played on every radio station during elections. It is the minor hits that really do well on this recording.

Santana: Moonflower â The first huybrid studio/live album that I ever heard. A two album set, side one was studio. Sides 2, 3 and 4 is live. The transition from studio to live is very good. The live versions of some songs are better than the studio versions. The Moonflower version of Dance Sister Dance blows away the studio version.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My all time favorite live album is the first (1962) James Brown Live At The Apollo. Not the follow up, it isn't as good.

They way Mr. Brown teased and pleased the audience, the way he had them in the palm of his hand is not only incredible, but has a million lessons for any live musician.

If you haven't heard it, take note of the songs the guy used when introducing James, and then see how he might just use a title or the hook to tease the audience, switch so another hit, and save the biggie for later.

I love a lot of live albums but this one just jumps out from the others for me.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Classics:

The Who - Live at Leeds

Genesis - Seconds Out

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends (OK, the mix isn't great, but the playing IS - similar to how I feel about Yessongs)

Deep Purple - Made In Japan

More recent:

Jars of Clay - Furthermore (aside from a great performance, one of the better sounding live albums around)

Circuline - Circulive:Majestik (only issue is that the bass player is mixed down too low, even on his solo!)

Glass Hammer- Double Live (Great line-up on this album; Susie Bogdanowicz and Carl Groves take on "If The Stars" is powerful, not to mention Kamran Allan Shikoh's guitar playing.)

Joe Bonamassa has quite a few; I'm partial to the "Live from Nowhere In Particular" and "Royal Albert Hall" ones.

Marillion also has quite a few (I'm a big fan). "Clock's Already Ticking" (which set a Guinness world record for fastest produced live-to-release album) and "All One Tonight" really capture their energy well.

Matt Maher's "All The People Said Amen" is 3/4 live, 1/4 studio; and quite good for CCM

Mostly Autumn - Dressed in Voices

Petra - Farewell Great way to end their 33+ years.

Porcupine Tree - Octane Twisted (full band) and We Lost The Skyline (mostly solo Steven Wilson) are two great-sounding yet quite different takes on the band's music

Transatlantic - Kalivescope (Ok, pretty much any of their live albums)

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Who: Live at Leeds - part of the reason I still play an SG.

Quicksilver Messenger Service: Happy Trails

Live/Dead

Jefferson Airplane: Bless Its Pointed Little Head

Yessongs

Genesis Live (w/Peter Gabriel)

Mahavishnu Orchestra: Between Eternity & Nothingness

Lou Reed: Rock'N'Roll Animal

Roxy Music: Viva!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads

One More For The Road - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Live Rust - Neil Young (I love the performances here, although I don't love the recording)

Live At the Apollo - James Brown

On a DVD, there is a stunning performance of Led Zeppelin playing Royal Albert Hall in early 1970 that is amazing, but that doesn't really count as an album.

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! I still have my original blue vinyl of it. The re-release is cool, with the opening acts of BB King and Tina Turner.

The live tracks from The Kids are Alright soundtrack.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI