Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Jupiter X(m)

"The Jupiter-X is not going to be available until next year and will retail for $2499. The Jupiter Xm, on the other hand, is going to be released right now and you can get one for $1499."

Yeah,- it´s most interesting, the Xm´s soundengine is 100% identical w/ the "X" model,- and it´s just only 9lbs12oz/ 4.4 kilos.

Very usable as a sound module w/ some haptics and an "auxiliary" keyboard.

When the soundengine really is what it seems to be,- a improved Integra-7 engine and more,- both models are promising.

I wonder if it doubles polyphony,- can´t see any info on this in specs.

The "X" looks great,- more haptics, but 37lbs5oz/ 16.9 kilos,- that´s a difference !

I don´t like the look of the new Fantoms much,- but it seems they developed all new keyboard actions for all the new variants of Jupiter and Fantom.

This is what I read in a german "Amazona" preview when the keyboards were introduced @Abbey Road Studios(London aug.29.

They say they were VERY impressed soundwise, especially the filter, as also according UI and build quality.

A.C.

Roland is back, alright. Now I don"t know what to choose! Fantom 7 or Jupiter X?

Avoid any unnecessary stress. Buy both! :laugh:

I am buying 2 of each !

;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Can't tell if those are micro-keys or something in between regular and micro. Roland's specs uses the term "compact".

A little on-screen extrapolation from the specs tells me that an octave will be about 6" wide, compared to about 6.5" on full-size keys.

Very usable as a sound module w/ some haptics and an "auxiliary" keyboard.

I hope so. Exactly how good it will be as a sound module will depend somewhat on the MIDI implementation, something Roland has some history of screwing up. If the 5 parts can be addressed externally on 5 MIDI channels (or there is some other multi-timbral MIDI implementation), that will be excellent.

When the soundengine really is what it seems to be,- a improved Integra-7 engine and more

I don't see much Integra in these Jupiters. Sonically, I think all they have in common is the old XV-5080 rompler sound set. I don't see any indication that they have any of the Integra's Supernatural stuff (but have a lot of other stuff instead).

it seems they developed all new keyboard actions for all the new variants of Jupiter and Fantom.

except I think the 88 key Fantom uses the RD-2000 action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

5 Part Multitimbral, 1 Rhythm Part

Sound sections based on JUPITER-8, JUNO-106, SH-101, XV-5080 RD pianos (Supernatural)

The little mx is mentioned in the video as going for 1499 Euros. I would imagine at this price point and up for the X it will get Roland's better quality semi-weighted action with AT.

Specs don't reveal what the max polyphony will be.

The X is supposed to be 37.5lbs.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

RD pianos (Supernatural)

RD-700GX. No Supernatural.

The little mx is mentioned in the video as going for 1499 Euros. I would imagine at this price point and up for the X it will get Roland's better quality semi-weighted action with AT.

No AT, unfortunately. (The big one has it, though.) And as I mentioned above, not full-sized keys. It's still a very tempting little box.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

"The Jupiter-X is not going to be available until next year and will retail for $2499. The Jupiter Xm, on the other hand, is going to be released right now and you can get one for $1499."

Somehow, that price for a solidly-built bi-timbral Roland treasure chest with brawny connectors seems very reasonable. Danged if I can't see a pair of these atop an old Vangelis-sized stack from the 80s. I'm a bit surprised, but the seeming playability is encouraging. Quick, buy one to run your Eurorack and one to play by hand!!

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I don't see any indication that they have any of the Integra's Supernatural stuff (but have a lot of other stuff instead).

You´re not able reading german, but I am,- and I did before I posted.

line #5 and #6 below 1st pic

Direct successor of Jupiter 80 ...

Both the models use Supernatural technology !!!

In addition,- both models offer "much more DSP power"... which is plenty for the authentic emulations, fat layers and "many-voiced" * polyphony.

(* dunno what that means, but that´s what´s written there)

The higher resolution improves the overall sound of the unit which is also a fully fletched audio interface.

more below:

The Jupiter X and Xm both use ALL NEW and special designed keyboard actions feeling fantastic ...

... flexible, comprehensive ... next generation sound engine ...

... the filters sound truly good ...

And yes, several synth models are available,- "authentic reproductions" of:

Jupiter-8, Juno 106, SH-101 and more ...

XV-5080 and RD Pianos

TR808, 909, 707, CR 78 ...

later JX8p is mentioned also ...

Arpeggiators use AI ...

I stop here

:)

A.C.

All my favorite Roland classics wrapped up in a pretty bow! Doubt if I'll be able to resist this one, and will probably pick up the X sometime next year when it's released.

Analog modeling doesn't bother me if it's well done, and I was impressed with what Roland did on the System 8 - just not it's packaging and puny polyphony. 256 potential voices on these new Jupiters should be enough to take care of business.

I (for one) like the retro heft of the X. My Jupiter 6 weighs 35 pounds, and I can still move it around without problems. If it's supposed to be a Jupiter, let's go all the way :laugh:

RD pianos (Supernatural)

Correcting: Even though the RD-700GX was not Supernatural, they did make an add-on SN piano upgrade for it, and I guess they included it in this carryover, because in the Sonic State demo, he says it's Supernatural and from the RD-700GX.

Both the models use Supernatural technology !!!

I'd be hesitant to read too much into that in terms of it being an "improved Integra-7 engine." Numerous boards have "Supernatural technology" and don't have a fraction of the SN capabilities of the Jupiter 80, much less the Integra. (And the Integra has other stuff too, like the SRX cards.) But I guess we'll see before long.

The Jupiter X and Xm both use ALL NEW and special designed keyboard actions feeling fantastic ...

According to Roland's site, the 88 uses the PHA-50 action of the RD-2000. The other models are new, though.

According to Roland's site, the 88 uses the PHA-50 action of the RD-2000. The other models are new, though.

There´s no Jupiter X / Xm w/ 88 keys ...

A.C.

There´s no Jupiter X / Xm w/ 88 keys ...

Oh, right, I should have been more specific... I was referring back to your earlier post, where you said "it seems they developed all new keyboard actions for all the new variants of Jupiter and Fantom."

RD pianos (Supernatural)

Correcting: Even though the RD-700GX was not Supernatural, they did make an add-on SN piano upgrade for it, and I guess they included it in this carryover, because in the Sonic State demo, he says it's Supernatural and from the RD-700GX.

I owned the RD-700GX and I would say that it was particularly Supernatural. It had SN E. Pianos and the Organ (I believe they called it TM-Organ) was also Supernatural. The Organ on the RD actually had more capabilities than the Jupiter-80 in its first edition because one could combined two inserts on one sound, unlike the Jupiter-80 in its first release. One of Rolands oddities...

Ah, right, the RD-700GX (without the upgrade card) did have SuperNatural E. Pianos (but not acoustic). That was the only "official" SN in the 700GX, but I agree with your take on it, that the older tonewheel organ implementations could be considered SN as well even though they were not yet using that term for them. They were all modeled.

Oh, right, I should have been more specific... I was referring back to your earlier post, where you said "it seems they developed all new keyboard actions for all the new variants of Jupiter and Fantom."

Damn, I really did even it´s the Jupiter X thread here ...

Sorry,- I stand corrected.

A.C.

Roland's demos seem to emphasize the artificial intelligence aspects --- the stuff that allows you to sound like a genius while pressing one note. That's the aspect I'm least interested in. I like the form factor of the Xm and it seems to be a capable synth. If it has a few useable meat & potatoes sounds packed inside, it might be a good tool for me.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

A bit OT - can anybody explain "Supernatural" in layman-speak rather than Roland-speak?

It's their catch-all term for sounds that employ modeling either instead of or in addition to samples. The Roland with the most Supernatural functionality is the Integra 7, which has all three categories of SN: SuperNatural Acoustic, SuperNatural Synth, and SuperNatural Drums. SN Acoustic includes their emulations of a wide variety of acoustic instruments (and tonewheel organ, which is not really an acoustic instrument). SN Synth is their virtual analog synth.

My now-gone AX-Synth keytar (replaced by an AX-Edge) had a few SuperNatural voices, including a violin that was almost telepathic -- it could tell the difference between a last-key-priority monophonic trill one moment, and a double-stop the next, something I haven't been able to do (so far) even with Kurzweil VAST. Unfortunately, the newer, more generally expressive AX-Edge keytar does not have even the limited SN engine.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361