Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland Fantom

gino

This is the first Roland in a long time that has me excited. I used to love my JV2080 back in the day. I had an FA06 for a while but didn"t like the keybed or the midi implementation (understand that may have improved with updates). This looks like it could be a real the heart of a rig
Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

Wow, am I late...just came here to post about this. :crazy:

Glad someone is releasing a new workstation! I agree it looks similar to the Montage. I don't like the red on the back, but hey, that's just an aesthetic. Hopefully the specs aren't too watered down. Also hoping for complete midi implementation. Wish it were a bit lighter but it's still two pounds lighter than the Montage 88. :rawk:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Finally. Yet, did I miss - NO user Multisamples???

Regular samples though...maybe they can add that later.

"Sampler

Format

16-bit linear, 44.1/48kHz, WAV/AIFF import supported

Maximum Polyphony

Number of Samples

16 Pads x 4 Banks"

Wondering about this "Zen Core" sound engine...

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Totally irrelevant, but my OCD hates how they use inconsistent typography for the product logo. Caps except for the n and m? I"m sure it"s intentional, because that"s not something that would slip through the cracks. Weird how only the FA seem intended as Caps, but the T and O are still caps even though they are slightly smaller. Or it"s like the FA are a different font, but that still doesn"t explain the mismatch of the nTOm.

According to Factmag, Zen Core is a mix of PCM samples and virtual analog modeling. So I guess it's the latest iteration of Roland's D-50 synthesis technology, presumably more capable in 2019 than the late 1980s version.

https://www.factmag.com/2019/09/05/roland-mc-707-mc-101-groovebox-announced/

MusicRadar also has an article but that site has proven to be unreliable.

Reading up on this new line of workstations, the word 'Supernatural" is nowhere to be found. ð¤

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

3 USB sockets for external controllers looks pretty tasty ð

I especially like this

Doesn't mean that they will necessarily be class compliant - i wouldn't be surprised to find them to be specific to certain Roland products, same as the USB device connectors on the MX-1 mixer.

- Jimbo

Reading up on this new line of workstations, the word 'Supernatural" is nowhere to be found. ð¤

Hmm. Although it was non-programmable, the Supernatural violin on my long-gone AX-Synth was pretty amazing. Bummer that SN didn't seem to blossom.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I'm more interested in knowing if they integrated the organ.

Yes, check the video at about 1:20, he says the sliders double as organ drawbars.

This makes it one of the few boards that can give you simultaneous control to organ drawbars and a battery of real-time synth controls... i.e. arguably a pretty decent functional competitor to a Nord Stage, if you can deal with the added weight.

The V-Piano is an engine here yes?

So they don"t need multisamples for the pianos it would seem.

Right, V-Piano is modeled. I'm sure there are also plenty of multisampled sounds in the Fantom, though at this point user samples do not seem to support multisamples.

At the end of the day, I can't yet clearly summarize what this allows me to do that I can't do with my FA-07.

Well, it will have a different sound set. But in terms of other differences, it has aftertouch, touchscreen, metal build, better action, internal power supply, far greater number of real-time controls (including endless encoders with LED indicators, sliders with LED indicators, dedicated synth controls), analog filter, sophisticated Logic/Mainstage integration, full patch remain when switching among all sounds, a lot more rear panel connectivity, 2 GB sample space, more MIDI controller zone functions, motional pad to transition between sounds... that's what I see so far. ;-) Sequencer looks like it could be more capable, but I don't know much about that side of things.

What happened to Roland being the value for your $ synth manufacturer? ouch.

Hmm. Well, they haven't had high-end models since they discontinued the Fantom G, but were their older Fantoms priced more aggressively than competitive Yamaha/Korg/Kurzweil workstations? I don't remember.

Also borrows from the Kronos (now almost everybody has jumped on the touch screen bandwagon & about time). Love Roland sounds & the configuration looks intuitive but it gained weight, not a gigging board.

The 61 is in the same range as a Kronos or Montage, and may be tolerable in the low 30s. But the 88 is for pros with roadies and backline companies. For the rest of us, I think it's likely to be a stay-at-home board. But I think that's largely true of the other 88 key flagships as well. Anyway, I'm glad it's heavy. Otherwise I might be tempted to buy one. ;-)

Anyway, my initial though is.... I want one

They've finally come out with the kind of board you've been looking for!

I remember the Fantom X didn"t have audio recording at first, that was added with the 2.0 update. So adding multi-sampling with an update sounds possible to me.

They added multisampling to the Juno DS with its 2.0 update, too. The 2 GB of memory certainly supports it, they probably just need more time for the software.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I especially like this

I saw that. Yamaha P125 under a Fantom 6 or 7 is a sweet rig (assuming the organs are up to scratch) although a bit heavy for a top board.

Cheers, Mike.

I used to haul my Fantom X6 all over so I can deal.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

The price is way off, but this has lots of good stuff in it. The V-Piano, the USB power ports, the impressive Logic / Mainstage integration and most importantly - a proper sequencer with three different approaches to it.

I think it's funny how much it really does look like the MONTAGE. And at least based on the Tibbs Guitar Center demo, there seems to be some sort of "motion sequencing" going on in the Fantom as well (although nowhere near that deep, it seems).

it's funny that now all the major three manufacturers are in a sense using the same "grid style" GUI. First the Kronos, then the MONTAGE and now this. And at least the latter two are also always in "performance mode" - although Roland has been doing it a bit longer, since the Jupiter-80 I think.

Hate the red stripe on the back!!

I especially like this

Doesn't mean that they will necessarily be class compliant - i wouldn't be surprised to find them to be specific to certain Roland products, same as the USB device connectors on the MX-1 mixer.

- Jimbo

The manual online is incomplete but it does say on the connections page: -

"EXT DEVICE jack (1, 2, 3) Connect these to an external USB device."

so there is hope...

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

I much preferred the FA to my MODX. I think I just like Roland. I love the red and the aluminium. If they"re electro mechanical sounds are up to scratch I can see myself GASing for it. Assuming you can run the organ out a separate output to put through a Lester K or something.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

My first board ever was a Roland, i"m emotionally attached to the brand - for some things that 'Roland sound' is just great. This looks really sweet for function and capability - it also looks absolutely ginormous! Holy crap it looks huge in every direction possible. I didnt check weight specs, i assume its heavy too. I"d be a 7 customer so expecting in the 40 lb ballpark which means it needs (imo) a sturdy case so another 30-40 lbs for case.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Just checked the specs regarding weight.

The new Fantom 6 is 33lbs. The old Fantom G6 was 32lbs.

Also, I may be in very big trouble: The usual suspects have them in stock. Now. My wallet just went into hiding....

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

This looks pretty awesome, except....I can't believe it doesn't have at least the multi-sampling ability of the Juno DS series. They added that feature later as an update for the DS line. That's all I ever wanted with the FA series, but of course they've never added it, so I've never bought one.

They're so close with this new Fantom. Looks like a great board, but typical of Roland it has a big WTF hovering over it.

Give us all the beans Roland. Not everyone wants to use this tied to a DAW or Mainstage. For the size, weight & price tag it should be fully capable of everything in a standalone setup.

Here's to hoping....again.

Totally irrelevant, but my OCD hates how they use inconsistent typography for the product logo. Caps except for the n and m? I"m sure it"s intentional, because that"s not something that would slip through the cracks. Weird how only the FA seem intended as Caps, but the T and O are still caps even though they are slightly smaller. Or it"s like the FA are a different font, but that still doesn"t explain the mismatch of the nTOm.

The Montage aesthetic, yet again!

My OCD hates how they"ve never spelled phantom correctly.

Here for the gear.

I especially like this

- Jimbo

The manual online is incomplete but it does say on the connections page: -

"EXT DEVICE jack (1, 2, 3) Connect these to an external USB device."

so there is hope...

The Anderton Music demo in the OP says all three are class-compliant and specifically mentions controlling the OP1 and Seaboard.

Assuming you can run the organ out a separate output to put through a Lester K or something.

Yes, there are two stereo Sub Outs.

I can't believe it doesn't have at least the multi-sampling ability of the Juno DS series. They added that feature later as an update for the DS line. That's all I ever wanted with the FA series, but of course they've never added it, so I've never bought one.

It is a shame it never came to the FA. I'm guessing the hardware (i.e. sufficient usable rewritable flash) wasn't there to support it. (Though I had thought that maybe they could repurpose the memory for one of the two slots, giving users a choice as to whether to use that memory for a second expansion or custom samples.) Anyway, the Fantom has 2 GB, so I'd be surprised if we didn't see the multisampling added down the road.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)